New Eee Box 204/206 - Perfect Client?? (1 Viewer)

Benoe

Portal Pro
December 12, 2006
Home Country
Hungary Hungary
For me, on a B204 the H.264 dxva is working. WMV is not.
I'm using XP, default VGA driver (8.55), disaster's MP edition and SAF.

cfforce

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For me the default 8.55 is showing that it can use dxva, but when fireing up MPC HC or MP using SAF MPC codec, stuttering viewable blocks e.d. for MKV, WMV e.d.

mXan

Portal Member
    April 11, 2009
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I've just bought a B206 and I was able to do very few experiments up to now (still fighting with EPG eheh :)).
    Anyway, SD television works OK (DVB-T) and .ts files play very OK as all SD movies do.
    Using Cyberlink H264 decoder I can see some 720p and even some 1080p files (I can perfectly see movies contained here : Watching h.264 videos using DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA). | My collection of short anime reviews and the fantastic four trailer which is 720p). Coral Reef WMV9 is stuttering both 720p and 1080p.

Strange thing I noted.. I have used the MPC-HC guide at Watching h.264 videos using DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA). | My collection of short anime reviews and I can see h264 videos perfectly in MPC-HC but when using MPC decoder, mediaportal does not work (in SD-MPEG the dreaded activemovie window pops-up and all is frozen, in HD h264 the movie is smooth but sometimes a single frame from the past appears (usually after a big scene change.. so I think after an I-frame). (Cool fact: accelerated 720p h264 takes half the cpu than non-accelerated "pal" mpeg2).

Anyway, the B206 is very quiet, consumes very low power and comes with all accessories.. it's a very interesting platform for those (like me) who are not very interested in HD right now. The price is OK - I bought it online in an italian shop at 330€. Mine came with bluetooth and wireless keyboard/mouse in the box (they are not listed as accessories).

Benoe

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    With the new ATI driver ASUS is issued on 04/20 dxva is working ok, even with 1080p files!

You can download it from support.asus.com or with the asus update software. (ATI_VGA_859100.zip)

cfforce

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes it's OK now :) thanx!

Benoe

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Yesterday I was able to test the power consumption of this little device, here it is:

Shutdown an suspend: 2W
    Windows idle: ~13-15W
    SD avi : ~18W
    dxva fullHD: ~21W, but sometimes it goes up to 22W :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom