New installation steps (1 Viewer)

Kelsen

November 1, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have used MP in the past; I think the one I used the longest was 1.15, but it has been a while.

My problem is fairly simple. I have 2000 movies on an 8TB drive connected to my laptop. Most of them show up, but I am not able to see a way to refresh the list.

I cannot seem to find a way to tell MP to look at the drive; in 'Settings' and in the 'external' configuration, I am unable to tell the program that my movies are on a drive. It will not let me select the drive (which has category folders beneath such as 'action', 'drama', etc. When I attempt to do this, the program insists that I select one of the folders on the drive. I cannot simply select the drive itself, nor can I select all of the folders on the drive.

It seems counter-intuitive to me, but that's probably just a problem with my way of looking at it.

Any help out there?

Thanks.

Dave Kelsen
--
"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it." -- Harvey MacKay

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have 2000 movies on an 8TB drive connected to my laptop. Most of them show up, but I am not able to see a way to refresh the list.
    I use the "Videos" section of MP, and it is not necessary to "refresh" the list. You simply need to navigate to the folder, and MP will automatically refresh the list with any additions that have occurred since MP last visited that folder. I arrange my folders in a tree that allows me to group the files in the way that I want (just like you!).

The following shows my folder definitions in "MP Config". Note that you need to define only the top-most folder in each tree; you don't need to define every single folder for every single group of files. The definition with the IP address is my NAS:

video_folders.jpg

Are you perhaps using one of the MP plugins to manage your files? If you are, I cannot help you with that, since I don't use any plugins for media.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Kelsen

November 1, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you very much; I also use the 'Videos' section, and I was thinking that 'refreshing' was automatic. But I have found several films in my collection that simply don't show up on the list, although they are formatted in the same way as the majority which do show up -- and watchable, using another viewer such as VLC. So I was looking to do a 'manual' refresh. So I suppose at this point, the problem I'm experiencing is just that some movies aren't showing up, and there is not an obvious reason for it.

I am using no pluglins at all.

Thanks again.

Dave Kelsen
    --
    Live as if everything you do will eventually be known. -- Hugh Prather

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    But I have found several films in my collection that simply don't show up on the list, although they are formatted in the same way as the majority which do show up
    This is not a problem that I recognise :(. Things to check:

(1) What file extension do these files have? If it is not one of MP's supported extensions, the files won't show in MP.

(2) Do these files have a corresponding XML file? I am not sure that this matters, but if they do not have XML files, copy an existing one and edit it to specify the title and other info for each file.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Kelsen

November 1, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First, to answer your question, the missing movies were in DVD format, which is to say that under the folder with the name of the film are two folders, one Audio_TS (generally empty) and one Video_TS.

Some of my movies are .wmv, some .avi, etc., but the majority are in the above format.

I have found that by changing a display setting from "Name" to "Name-Full", the missing movie folders show up. I recall that I did that years ago, but it was so that the single file movies (like MOVIE NAME.mpg) would show up in the correct order along with the DVD-type movies.

Anyway, thanks for your help; you inspired me to try some things I would not have thought of/remembered to do otherwise.

Happy viewing!

Dave Kelsen
    --
    I'm too smart to let my intelligence go to my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom