New Music Tag Reader -- Testers needed (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_man_

Portal Member
June 20, 2005
Paris
Hi there,

I'm very happy to see a new music tag reader getting developped !
My codec of choice being WavPack I was using Meedio so far, but considering this plugin I will probably move to MediaPortal soon.

So I made a quick test last night on approx. 200 *.wv files, and it worked like a charm ! Thanx SteveV for your work !

I will try again and revert back as soon as I can with my main music Back-up, propely tagged in APEV2 with foobar.

I got one remark thought : the new music tag reader imported perfectly all "standard tags" such like %title%, %artist%, etc.
However, foobar and APEv2 tags allow each user to create "personal tags", such like (in my case) %DiscID%, %originalartist%, %rippedby%, etc.
Is there any chance the new MediaPortal tag reader would import those tags as well in the music library ?

EqualRightsForWerewolves said:
steve - how robust do you want the tag reader to be? reason i'm asking is that i have a couple of files i ripped using eac to flac. when i load them in foobar, foobar can display the tags correctly - but if i try to change them foobar reports and error, then if i change them again it works. the tag reader is currently reporting an error on these files until i've changed the tags twice in foobar.

soooo, there must be something corrupt in the tag structure on these files. it's not a big deal for me to fix them, but the thing is foobar can read them ok even with the corrupt tags. i'm not sure how forgiving you want the tag reader to be on badly written tags...

(again - just to emphasize - i'm not really fussed about this because it's very easy to fix the tags!)

My *guess* about this issue (not sure) : EAC tagged the generated FLAC files in ID3v1 format, and then foobar converted them in ogg tag format.

Molokoids

Portal Pro
April 22, 2004
SteveV said:
Molokoids said:
I still have problem with duration on certain files. It seems the bitrate is also wrong. A 320kbps files is reported as 32Kbps and duration is 19:48 instead of 3:16.

Can you confirm that you're seeing this with version .28? Did .28 improve the duration problem? Can you email me a couple of the affected files?

Yes with .28. No improvements but I have only 12 files that are problematic :)
Email sent.
Thanks !

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Re: Missing synchronized lyrics

doubleclick said:
    - 0.28 works fine, tested with 2.500 mp3 files
    - id3 tags o.k.
    - cover jpg o.k.

BUT:
    - Lyrics=Y but in the header fields it shows lyrics content as unreadable chars!?
    - My lyrics are in the same folder as mp3 as .txt file and also inside mp3 as id3-tag
    - Also I have synchronized lyrics as file in the folder
    - WMP and WinAmp shows everything rigth

- What I completly miss are synchronized lyrics (.lrc)
    - Dreaming of lyrics which scroll the screen while playing - see MiniLyrcis (http://www.crintsoft.com/index.htm)

can i upload samples?

Please send me a couple of the affected files. I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks -- Steve

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    _man_ said:
    Hi there,

I'm very happy to see a new music tag reader getting developped !
    My codec of choice being WavPack I was using Meedio so far, but considering this plugin I will probably move to MediaPortal soon.

So I made a quick test last night on approx. 200 *.wv files, and it worked like a charm ! Thanx SteveV for your work !

I will try again and revert back as soon as I can with my main music Back-up, propely tagged in APEV2 with foobar.

I got one remark thought : the new music tag reader imported perfectly all "standard tags" such like %title%, %artist%, etc.
    However, foobar and APEv2 tags allow each user to create "personal tags", such like (in my case) %DiscID%, %originalartist%, %rippedby%, etc.
    Is there any chance the new MediaPortal tag reader would import those tags as well in the music library ?

Unlikely. Importing tag fields of unknown meaning, type, and quantity into the database presents a bit of a problem. The bigger problem is telling MP what these user defined fields are how to display them.

Steve

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    _man_ said:

one way i can think of doing this (and it's early so forgive me if i haven't thought this through well :wink: )

a table could be created called something like 'customtags', with fields id, songid, tagname, tagvalue. every tag the reader finds which doesn't fit into the common ones (and it probably should ignore tags like 'comments'), it would enter into this table.
    then, in the music views section in config, the 'selection' dropdown would have any unique 'tagname's from the customtags table listed (in addition to the ones there at the moment).
    this way, if he had .... say... 'conductor' as a custom tag in some of his files, he could select 'conductor' from the selection dropdown in music views, and create his own views based on this. it could end up being a really powerful way of letting people view their music collection in EXACTLY the way they want!!
    what's your thoughts?

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    actually - the more i think of this the more powerful i realize it would be!
    it would open the way for basically infinite ways of customizing the music views.

something i've wanted for a while was a 'sub-genre' selection. so i could choose a genre of reggae, then pick between 'dub', 'dancehall', etc...
    if i tagged my songs with a 'sub-genre' tag, then this would be possible! and with the same feature, classical music lovers could sort their music by 'third-violinist-from-the-left' if they really wanted :roll:

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    steve - just letting you know, i ran that latest version through my main collection and it scanned all the files fine! thanks for the changes... saves me a bit of work retagging them :)

i've been thinking more throughout the day and i'm totally in love with the idea of custom tags. it'd be awesome to be able to categorise my music by a whole string of things, like mood, tempo, even record label! add to that the option to have multiple values in a delimated list and the possibilities are infinite :D

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    (and it probably should ignore tags like 'comments')
    Why?
    my comments tag is always filled with the review of allmusic.com - I'd even like to have an info page for it :p

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom