New Music Tag Reader -- Testers needed (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenEye

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi Steve

Thanks a lot for taking your time to develop MP even further.

My test setup

- I am scanning ~ 7,100 files of diffent types: mp3, ogg, wma, mpc, flac
    - The files are stored in various folders on a network share.

My test results

- File scanning and tag reading is fast (7,133 tags in 00:04:38). However, as soon as your app tries to scan a wma file, it is stuck for a short while.
    - All WMA files produce a ERROR READING TAG error (I use Windows Mediaplayer 11 beta).
    - Reading tags seems to work well with the exception of the genre tag. This tag is very often incorrect (no entry although I have tagged all my files correctly using MediaMonkey).

G.

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Speed: 12575 in 10:47 (0.051 sec/tag), with MP and some other progs running. About 10-20% CPU @AMD3500+/1GB

Accuracy: (only MP3)
    -Most songs OK. (98%+)
    -Signs like & ()- etc. OK. Accents also.
    -Some songs return a corrupted album title.
    -It seems that genre is taken from ID3v2. However, I get the impression that, if the genre is not in the v1 standard list, it is left blank.
    -Some songs by Apocalyptica get the genre "Bebob". Have you thaught your program a rule like "If you err, be sure to err in a funny way"?
    -Some songs by Acda& de Munnik don't show any metadata
    -On the bright side: Some (incorrect) titles like "Vänner och Frände" were shown perfectly -including errors. :wink:

Extended character support (accents, umlauts, etc) if applicable-See above, no problems

Proper display of embedded artwork if present-No problems whatsoever

Lyrics if present - N/A

Anything that appears out of the norm -

<gasp> Crashes -Sure tried, didn't manage.

All referenced files are available. PM if needed.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Koschel said:
    Hi Steve,

here are my results:
    Umlauts - ok
    Scantime - 1:30 Each Drive contains ~ 4400 mp3
    Totally scan tracks - 30669 then application hang
    wma-file - Error Tag reading
    ogg file - ok
    CPU useage bout 90%, RAM useage for a drive with ~ 4400 files pikes at 710 MB while scanning
    MPTagReaderTest.exe stays after closing the gui, using ~90% CPU load and 60856.

Some Album Artist are not read.

Hi Koschel,

Approx what percentage of these files contain embedded art work? Re cpu and mem usage; very odd--my laptop (P4 2.66GHz 512MB) runs at approx 8% total cpu usage with infrequent peaks around 18%. And that's with VS2005, Outlook, and several browser session active. Task Manager is showing that MPTagReaderTest.exe is using 2-8%.

As far as mem goes 710MB sounds pretty high. After scanning 5900 file my mem usage is 185MB. Minimizing the app reduces the mem usage to 884KB so I don't think this is a problem but rather the way .NET manages memory.

Anyway, it's clear I need to work on WMA tag reading.

Thanks for the report.

Steve

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    hey Steve!
    here's my results from the tag reader:
    - some mp3 files are missing genres. most of them appear correctly, but 'indie','reggae/ska', 'dub reggae','mellow'
    - everything else is working fine for the 2400 tracks on this pc. mixture of flac and mp3 files. album artist support is working brilliantly - thanks!!

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    BugsBunny said:
    We should be able to do this but it will slow the reading considerably. I'll have a look at this after I sort out some of the nasty bugs.

Thanks.
    That would be great! Maybe it can be used as an option that can be activated/deactiveted.
    Not sure if it would slow down that much - mp3tag scans relatively fast through a dir with lots of mp3s and shows the correct time. (~1 sec for 700 VBR MP3s)
    Thanks a lot
    BB

Slow is a relative thing ;) Reading tags from a local drive seems to average ~.030 seconds per file which is 33 times faster than ~1 second per file :D. So when scanning a share that contains 10,000 files taking 33 X as long adds up fast.

Steve

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    onkl said:
    Speed: 12575 in 10:47 (0.051 sec/tag), with MP and some other progs running. About 10-20% CPU @AMD3500+/1GB

Accuracy: (only MP3)
    -Most songs OK. (98%+)
    -Signs like & ()- etc. OK. Accents also.
    -Some songs return a corrupted album title.
    -It seems that genre is taken from ID3v2. However, I get the impression that, if the genre is not in the v1 standard list, it is left blank.
    -Some songs by Apocalyptica get the genre "Bebob". Have you thaught your program a rule like "If you err, be sure to err in a funny way"?
    -Some songs by Acda& de Munnik don't show any metadata
    -On the bright side: Some (incorrect) titles like "Vänner och Frände" were shown perfectly -including errors. :wink:

Extended character support (accents, umlauts, etc) if applicable-See above, no problems

Proper display of embedded artwork if present-No problems whatsoever

Lyrics if present - N/A

Anything that appears out of the norm -

<gasp> Crashes -Sure tried, didn't manage.

All referenced files are available. PM if needed.

"Bebob", in my opinion, is an underutilized genre ;). The genre issue is fixed in the next version. Out of curiousity, how does accuracy compare to the current reader?

Thanks for the report.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    EqualRightsForWerewolves said:
    hey Steve!
    here's my results from the tag reader:
    - some mp3 files are missing genres. most of them appear correctly, but 'indie','reggae/ska', 'dub reggae','mellow'
    - everything else is working fine for the 2400 tracks on this pc. mixture of flac and mp3 files. album artist support is working brilliantly - thanks!!

Genre is fixed in the next release. Great to hear album artist is working :D

Thanks for the report.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Can anyone confirm that they are able to read *any* WMA tags successfully? I have a (admittedly small) number of files here that work just fine. But based on the posts in this thread it sounds like *no* wma files are being read successfully.

Thanks -- Steve

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    carreno said:
    why i have not the cover art?

cover2zi.jpg

Hmm, don't know. Can you email me one of the files? I PM'd you with my email address.

Thanks,

Steve

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    Great work steve, I've programmed a frontend for tag.exe myself but never had the balls to write my own tag importer with all the different formats available. (I mean seriously who actually uses WMA as a real format!! :) The thing that is important when programming for reading tags is always to expect the unexpected with exception driven code. People do some wierd things when tagging their files!

I will give this a go on my flac collection and post some results.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom