New Music Tag Reader -- Testers needed (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
Steve - new version works perfectly on all genres :D
i let it loose on my main music share (about 6000 flac+mp3 files), and it scanned all without issue in about 3 minutes. i realize it's not adding to the database or anything but this is SUCH an improvement over the ~40 minutes it takes to scan the same share in mp atm!!

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hi Steve,

Good work on the new tag importer, i love it
    Just a suggestion when you start integrating it in MP
    Instead of use the current music database, maybe its time
    to completely redesign the music database?
    The new tvserver engine will use a sql database running on for example sql server express to store all tv related data in.
    Perhaps its a good idea to use the same thing for music ???
    if you like it, take a look at IdeaBlade DevForeExpress
    Its an object/relational mapper framework for databases which
    I currently use in the new tvserver.
    Its a free download http://www.ideablade.com/downloads.html

This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping
    nicely explains what an o/r mapper does and why it would be wise to use it if you ever design a new database

The nice thing with IdeaBlade is that it can generate C# classes by analysing the database tables and foreign keys. No need to write any dataaccess code anymore which speeds up development tremendously

Regards

Frodo

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    GoldenEye said:
    - Do you plan to read additional tags from the files - the one I am missing the most is the composer tag, which is crucial for ordering classical music.

The tag reader currently reads the composer frame so it is there--I just don't show it in the test app.

- Do you plan to support more than one artist by song - e.g. "Ray Charles, Norah Jones" so that they appear as two separate songs in the database?

Thx a lot

G.

If the file's tagging format supports multiple artist frames than it should be possible to read all the artist frames. Do you have any files tagged as such?

Steve

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    EqualRightsForWerewolves said:
    Steve - new version works perfectly on all genres :D
    i let it loose on my main music share (about 6000 flac+mp3 files), and it scanned all without issue in about 3 minutes. i realize it's not adding to the database or anything but this is SUCH an improvement over the ~40 minutes it takes to scan the same share in mp atm!!

:D

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    frodo said:
    hi Steve,

Good work on the new tag importer, i love it
    Just a suggestion when you start integrating it in MP
    Instead of use the current music database, maybe its time
    to completely redesign the music database?
    The new tvserver engine will use a sql database running on for example sql server express to store all tv related data in.
    Perhaps its a good idea to use the same thing for music ???
    if you like it, take a look at IdeaBlade DevForeExpress
    Its an object/relational mapper framework for databases which
    I currently use in the new tvserver.
    Its a free download http://www.ideablade.com/downloads.html

This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping
    nicely explains what an o/r mapper does and why it would be wise to use it if you ever design a new database

The nice thing with IdeaBlade is that it can generate C# classes by analysing the database tables and foreign keys. No need to write any dataaccess code anymore which speeds up development tremendously

Regards

Frodo

Moving to SQL2005 Express is something I've been thinking about for while and I think it would make a lot of sense to have the changeover coincide with the new tag reader. I had a look at DevForce when you first mentioned it in your tvserver engine post several weeks back and have been playing around with the turorials--pretty slick!

Steve

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Version 0.22 has been released (see first post for link)

Changes:

Add logging
    Fix problem reading embedded coverart in MP3 files
    Fix problem in Ogg files when reading comments without "=" delimiter that was causing erroneous OutOfMemory exceptions
    Fix problem in Ogg files when reading Year comment that included month and day values (2001:12:6)

TODO:

WMA problems still need to be fixed

Steve

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    Hi steve, running latest version now, ogg pros seems to be working now.

On question: would it be possible to include a human-readable interface for the database? It probably should be low-pri but if it is easy to implement. I mean sometying like .xml export/import so that the user may read the db info in an xml file, do search and replace manually, debug tagging etc, then import that info back into the usual high-performance database.

regards
    Knut

GoldenEye

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    SteveV said:
    GoldenEye said:
    - Do you plan to read additional tags from the files - the one I am missing the most is the composer tag, which is crucial for ordering classical music.

The tag reader currently reads the composer frame so it is there--I just don't show it in the test app.
    Very nice :)

SteveV said:
    GoldenEye said:
    -- Do you plan to support more than one artist by song - e.g. "Ray Charles, Norah Jones" so that they appear as two separate songs in the database?

Thx a lot

G.

If the file's tagging format supports multiple artist frames than it should be possible to read all the artist frames. Do you have any files tagged as such?

AFAIK the ID3v2 standard does not support multiple artists. But - from memory - WMP 10 presented multiple artist files correctly under each artist whenever they were separated with a column, e.g. "Ray Charles; Norah Jones".

G.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    Done! Retrieved 17241 tags in 00:08:19,44 (0,029 secods pr track)

I scimmed the log. Common:
    MP3Tag.get_Year caused an exception: Input string was not in a correct format.

WmaTag.Read caused an exception: Unable to load DLL 'WMVCore2.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
    TagReader.ReadTag returned false for: C:\musikk\filename.wma

15.07.2006 18:41:29 MP3Tag.get_CoverArtImageBytes caused an exception: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

regards
    knut

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    GoldenEye said:
    AFAIK the ID3v2 standard does not support multiple artists. But - from memory - WMP 10 presented multiple artist files correctly under each artist whenever they were separated with a column, e.g. "Ray Charles; Norah Jones".

G.

Can you send a a couple of files that include multiple artists delimited with semi-colons? I'll PM you my address.

Thanks

Steve

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom