New Music Tag Reader -- Testers needed (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    I'm happy to announce that the new Music Tag Reader is just about finished. The new reader should eliminate our dependancy on the external Tag.exe reader and should improve accuracy and performance significantly. Once we've confirmed that it's stable and reliable the code will be rolled into MP.

The following file types are supported:

ape
    flac
    mp3
    ogg
    wv
    wma
    mp4
    m4a
    m4p
    mpc

Embedded cover art images should now work with all formats that support it. As should language support for Latin1, Russian, Greek and (hopefully, only limited testing done) double byte character sets for Chinese, Japanese and Korean, etc. Please post bugs and comments.

Download the test app MPTagReaderTest V.29.rar

Usage:
    Extract the rar to a seperate folder such as "C:\Temp\MPTagReaderTest\"
    Launch MPTagReaderTest.exe
    Click the "Scan Folder..." button
    Select a folder to be scanned.

Special thanks to hwahrmann for his help troubleshooting, debugging, bug squashing, and testing!

Steve

MPTagReader.jpg

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Great.

Will try it later today. (at work right now)
    Can you give some hints about what area's need testing, any "standard tests" or relevant data to report back?

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    onkl said:
    Great.

Will try it later today. (at work right now)
    Can you give some hints about what area's need testing, any "standard tests" or relevant data to report back?

Just general stuff:

Speed
    Accuracy
    Extended character support (accents, umlauts, etc) if applicable
    Proper display of embedded artwork if present
    Lyrics if present
    Anything that appears out of the norm
    <gasp> Crashes

Thanks -- Steve

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Steve - Do we place the exe and the dll into the MediaPortal directory?

EDIT: What are we support to expect (other than the results in the window) for output?

I did get ALOT of "ERROR READING TAG" errors from files ripped into .wma format. Those that were mp3 or in my iTunes looked good. It was fast for the limited music files on this work computer.

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    mzemina said:
    Steve - Do we place the exe and the dll into the MediaPortal directory?

Sorry, should have been more specific; it's a standalone test app. Extract the rar to a seperate folder such as "C:\Temp\MPTagReaderTest\" double click the exe and go.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    SteveV - See previous post - I edited it with added info. You wouldn't get a notification since I edited it, sorry.

Mike

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    mzemina said:
    What are we support to expect (other than the results in the window) for output?

Nothing. It's a test app :wink: Makes more sense to iron out the problems before rolling it into the MP code.

I did get ALOT of "ERROR READING TAG" errors from files ripped into .wma format. Those that were mp3 or in my iTunes looked good. It was fast for the limited music files on this work computer.

What's ALOT? Did it fail in the majority of the wma files or just some? I may ask you to email me some of the affected files if that's ok.

Steve

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    SteveV said:
    mzemina said:

What's ALOT? Did it fail in the majority of the wma files or just some? I may ask you to email me some of the offending files if that's ok.

Steve

PM me you email and I will zip them and send them to you. All the .wma files gave that error.

Mike

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Got it and sent you reply plus email. 4Meg zip file. Note it appears that all the .wma files (three albums) are like this, don't have many music files on this computer so will try at home computers also.

Note the album art not showing also - probably due to the error halting the jpg from being read.

Mike

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom