New Netflix Plugin (1 Viewer)

Johnathan Barker

Portal Member
September 30, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Like I said just throw this in the plugin/windows folder and and it should work with out having to do anything else.

had to zip it to get it to upload

Attachments

• shdocvw.zip
    91.5 KB

Dave Reynolds

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is ACE :)

Any chance of having the option to give the plugin your own name, i.e. just "Netflix" ?

Well done

Dave

Johnathan Barker

Portal Member
    September 30, 2012
    Home Country
    Unfortuantly Netflix says I cant use Netflix as the first word in the name (so people don't think its from them) but if anyone can come up with a few other suggestions I can post a poll to rename it.

Thanks for the great review though. Its still a work in progress but im glad its working for you

Dave Reynolds

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi,

That's cool, like other plugins if you could just add a field to allow the end user to enter a plugin name :) get's around any issues then.

Usually I just save it to a config file and read it upon plugin load.

Code:
    PName = xmlreader.GetValueAsString("General", "PluginName", "Light Control");

then Add

Code:
     public bool GetHome(out string strButtonText, out string strButtonImage,
              out string strButtonImageFocus, out string strPictureImage)
            {
                strButtonText = PName;

Something like that :)

icam2

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi just tested the new release. I select Display 2 but the settings are not being stored and its keeps reverting back to Display1.

If you need any testing doing i'm off work for a few days so feel free to ask

EDIT: just had a quick look in the xml file and have noticed this tag <DefualtMonitor />. Now as a guess this would be the placement holder for the monitor setting?? (I Maybe wrong as i have no idea of your source). Every time i change the monitor from 1 to 2 the <DefualtMonitor />is getting set.

Cheers for now

Last edited:

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi Johnathan,

I've been testing the latest version of your plugin today and aside from being in the UK and not having access to most videos (as mentioned previously - let's hope a UK API is sorted soon!), the ones that I can play are excellent. Finally cathing up with all those Breaking Bad episodes I've missed - marvellous!

A few very minor things to report:

1, When watching a video the mouse cursor disappears after a few seconds. I have to alt-tab back to MP main screen to get it back for just long enough to use it.
    2, When I'm quick enough to use the mouse cursor, clicking the "Back to browse" arrow in the top left always fires 3 script errors, as attached. Have to accept "yes" or "no" three times, at which point it drops back to the MP screen, but this sometimes crashes MP and shows "not responding" in task manager. Unfortunately there are no errors in the logs to find out what's causing this.
    3, When doing a search I'm seeing odd result counts. For example Breaking Bad gets "Showing 1-13 of 1751 results", but only 14 in the list. Selecting "Next page" shows lots of blanks.

Other than that it's working very nicely indeed, so many thanks for your excellent work - much appreciated!

I've knocked up and attached a very quick and dirty StreamedMP skin file if anyone is interested. (Using the StreamedMP menu editor you can easily rename the plug in to Netflix in BasicHome). Put the xml in the StreamedMP skin directory and the hover_netflix.png file in the Media subfolder.

Cheers,
    Si

PS, Could this plugin be adapted for Lovefilm.com by any chance?

Attachments

• netflix back script error.png
      netflix back script error.png
      31.3 KB
    • hover_netflix.png
      hover_netflix.png
      1,007.6 KB
    • NetflixSkin.xml
      9.4 KB
    Last edited:

spacemanc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2011
    I've knocked up and attached a very quick and dirty StreamedMP skin file if anyone is interested. (Using the StreamedMP menu editor you can easily rename the plug in to Netflix in BasicHome). Put the xml in the StreamedMP skin directory and the hover_netflix.png file in the Media subfolder.

Simon that's awesome - that's very much appreciated by me! (although I can't quite get the plugin to work just yet!)

Johnathan Barker

Portal Member
    September 30, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi just tested the new release. I select Display 2 but the settings are not being stored and its keeps reverting back to Display1.

If you need any testing doing i'm off work for a few days so feel free to ask

EDIT: just had a quick look in the xml file and have noticed this tag <DefualtMonitor />. Now as a guess this would be the placement holder for the monitor setting?? (I Maybe wrong as i have no idea of your source). Every time i change the monitor from 1 to 2 the <DefualtMonitor />is getting set.

Cheers for now

Yes change that to <DefualtMonitor>What ever is in the box in the plugin</DefualtMonitor> //Dont forget the slashes and periods.

Im checking the source code to see why that setting is not saved.

Edit: Just found the problem and have fixed it for the next release. In the meantime update your settings file manually the format the string should be in is "\\.\DISPLAYx" where x equals which ever display you want to use. Make sure to grab that number from the actual box in the configuration screen.

Hi Johnathan,

I've been testing the latest version of your plugin today and aside from being in the UK and not having access to most videos (as mentioned previously - let's hope a UK API is sorted soon!), the ones that I can play are excellent. Finally cathing up with all those Breaking Bad episodes I've missed - marvellous!

A few very minor things to report:

1, When watching a video the mouse cursor disappears after a few seconds. I have to alt-tab back to MP main screen to get it back for just long enough to use it.
    2, When I'm quick enough to use the mouse cursor, clicking the "Back to browse" arrow in the top left always fires 3 script errors, as attached. Have to accept "yes" or "no" three times, at which point it drops back to the MP screen, but this sometimes crashes MP and shows "not responding" in task manager. Unfortunately there are no errors in the logs to find out what's causing this.
    3, When doing a search I'm seeing odd result counts. For example Breaking Bad gets "Showing 1-13 of 1751 results", but only 14 in the list. Selecting "Next page" shows lots of blanks.

Other than that it's working very nicely indeed, so many thanks for your excellent work - much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Si

PS, Could this plugin be adapted for Lovefilm.com by any chance?

Glad its working for you simon.

I will respond to your bugs in the order you posted :p

1. I can look into that as I dont use the mouse I never saw it as an issue, But I will defiently get the cursor showing for the next release
    2. This is a known bug and its with the javascript netflix player that my plugin opens in the new window. (the old netflix plugin has the same error. Near as I can tell its because clicking the back arrow polls the contents of some data structure that contains a list of previus viewed videos. The errors hapen because that structure does not exist since im forming the video links each time a title is viewed and opening a new instance of the popup window. The best way to close the player is to press the escape key.

3. This is a bug I have been scratching my head on for a while and Im not sure how to fix it. The total results is populated by the api and equals the number of results that netflix has for the seach term. How ever the netflix catalog has a very large number of titles that are not instant viewiable and the plugin weeds them out how ever without pulling the entire result listing (in the case of the your search would have to pull almost 2000 results) to be able to accuratlly update the count. The other part of that bug is the searching only pulls one set of results from the api instead of going back and pulling the second /third /fourth result set etc from netflix. You can however tell the plugin how many results to get during each api call in the plugin tweeks section of the configuration window. Sorry this is my bad I forgot all about it not pulling more results.

Once I have this stable I can look into lovefilm. My vision for this plugin is a online video plugin that can combine results from mutiple online tv show/movie video services. I am currently also looking into the possability to add hulu videos to it (have found a way to form video links just need to come up with a hack to get there video catalog. Unfortuantly they dont have an open api like netflix so anything i do will be a hack and may be short lived :( ).

Edit: Just did a quick search on lovefilm.com and it looks like exactly the type of thing I would like to add. They do have an openapi but it has been closed off for past 2 weeks. So I will continue to monitor this and if they open it back up I will start implementing it. There forums mentioned something about a maintence window. here is the post-

"Agreed, the openapi.lovefilm.com service has been down for maintenance since 21/09/2012. I'm hoping this halt in developer registrations is just to cover the maintenance period. However I've not recieved any word since emailing lovefilm support. I hope this is not the end of this api."

- http://developer.lovefilm.com/forum/read/157712

So hopefully they open it back up soon

Last edited:

icam2

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Just to confirm even if i add it manualy (<DefualtMonitor>\\.\DISPLAY2</DefualtMonitor>) Its still popping up the player on my Primary monitor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom