[New Plugin] MPRemote S - iPhone Remote Control Plugin (1 Viewer)

ElSanto84

Portal Pro
February 15, 2013
Würzburg
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey evolution,
if you run CouchPotato and you are satisfied with it then you should not switch. I used CouchPotato by myself and was frustrated cause of missing iPhone5 Display support and the last Update is almost 2 years ago. So we tried to do it better.

mediacowboy

Portal Pro
May 5, 2012
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
@Lyfesaver74

That is correct. from what I have seen is the plugin for media portal is free but the app to connect from your phone is $1.99 without a free or trial version. Maybe the author can point me and others into a different direction to try the app before paying.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Ya, I am going to pass too. I have donated over $3,000 to MP and MP Extension Devs over the past 3 years. With my generosity the way it is, I get a very bad taste in my mouth when told I HAVE to pay for something.

But the app looks awesome guys!!! Good work!

stefan2009

Portal Member
    June 4, 2009
    Nobody will make awesome plugins like this to add to for free, thats because it takes allot of time to create something like this app, and for 1,99 us, thats a little more like a pack of eggs, its not 20 dollars or something, its a very fair price. to get atleast some of his invested time back

Developers for MP needs to be helped in all ways possible to keep MediaPortal alive! and add new features, free or commercial that is up to the developers, without them people will change to xmbc in the future.

Last edited:

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    nobody will make awesome plugins like this to add to for free
    All the software leading up the app (MP and its extensions) are free. Lots of apps are out there for MP that are free.

But I see nothing negative about you not offering anything for free when you built it off of all these people's hard work they did for free.

Okay, so that being said. You offer it for free, make a "Pro" version and jack up the price to 3 or 4 dollars and I will donate $100, AND buy the $4 "Pro version" for every friend and family member I have that owns iDevices (they all have HTPCs I have set them up with)... for each device, too! (And I don't even own any iDevices!)

Last edited:

ElSanto84

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2013
    Würzburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey ho,
    Lyfesaver, if everybody would so generous like you are, making free software with donation option would be an awesome way. But it isn't that way. People want everything for free and even if they get it for free they complain about missing features and want more and more. That behind that are people that spend hundreds of hours of their sparetime into the projects, they don't care.
    Doesn't matter, the point is.
    We have made an remote app that looks good and works like a charm. We don't want to offer it for free cause we had costs for the software, the developer licenses and the biggest amount was our spare time. We don't force anybody to buy the software.
    BUT MediaPortal is missing third party support for iOS devices and as user - I would be happy to get a working remote for my 800€ mobile phone for the price of a cheeseburger (ok some Cents more).

A free version would be hard to do for a software like this. Only possible thing is make a FREE version with a limited time of usage and after that you would have to buy per in-app buy a full license. We can think about several models - but we dont force anyone to buy it and if after your bought you think this is a bad app - you can still write Apple and get your money back (in most cases).

Long text - but again - we don't want to force anyone to buy the remote. But I - as user - would be happy to not only have ONE remote in the AppStore.

mediacowboy

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2012
    Texas
    Home Country
    @Lyfesaver74

Other then mediaportal im not sure he is using anything from mpextended. He created his own plugin to connect to mediaportal. Im not a dev so i can't say that they aren't using some of the code but i went ahead and paid for the app and its nice and clean and works. There are things in couch potato i wish where in this app but then again there are things in this app i wish we're in coachpotato.

Good work on this plugin guys. The only issue so far is i don't have wol on my computer so it isn't auto detecting my computer.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    Ouch!
    I have been using MP for a while now and while I cannot offer $$ I do whatever testing I can.. Mostly for MM and the CableCard / TV side.
    Those that have the abilty and know how to write these great programs and add-ons (along with the time and effort) deserve to be respected.

As for what is free vers paid, their choice.
    I would love nothing more than to throw all kinds of money at all these great people but its just not there for me to do.
    As for this (or any other paid app), its cheap enough and like the CableCard, I can test it and offer experience UNLIKE Eve...
    How long has Eve been in "Development"?
    At least this guy did not start something and throwing everyone into a tizzy waiting to see / try / use it.

There are those of us that do have Ipads and Iphones looking for a simple solution. Sure Eve just might be the Do All Be All for what MP users are looking for... But I for one am open and willing to support up an comers along with the MP developers any way I can... and for the time being, thats a little here and a little there...

ElSanto84

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2013
    Würzburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you breese :)
    Cowboy - I wrote everything on my own. I wanted to use wifiremote first but as there was hardly documentation I did it on my own.
    Can we got back to the topic of the thread again..? Anybody who has questions or problems about the app can post it here.
    This shouldnt be a discussion if the app should be free or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom