[New Plugin] MPRemote S - iPhone Remote Control Plugin (2 Viewers)

ElSanto84

Portal Pro
February 15, 2013
Würzburg
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey folks,

we have created a new app for MediaPortal. Its called "MPRemote S" and is a remote control app for MediaPortal. You can use your iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5) just like an infrared remote to control your mediacenter.

It works with all major MediaPortal version, beginning from version 1.2.x up to 1.4-R.

As pictures say more than a thousand words - here are some screens:
screenshots.png

What are the features?
+ Easy setup - the remote finds you mediacenter in your local networks
+ Wake On LAN feature of course
+ Shutdown/Restart/Standby/Hibernate your mediacenter and wake it up again by WOL
+ Universal Remote Control. All required buttons are implemented
+ Of course Navigation in MediaPortal via touchscreen controls
+ Display of whats currently playing
+ Extensive iPhone 5 Retina Display support (!!!)

IMPORTANT! before using our app, please DOWNLOAD and ENABLE the MP Remote Server, you can download it for free here!

You can have a look on it in iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/mpremote-s/id682042643?mt=8 (German store link)

We also create a facebook fanpage and a website, where you can grab the server plugin:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MediaportalRemote

We would be very glad if (you have an iPhone and MP) you could grab a copy of our software. Its the first version of this app and it is already super stable.
If you have any questions - just ask us here in this thread or write us an E-Mail :)

Looking forward to your feedback :)

Last edited:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    First I must say I was plesently suprized that it worked on my IPad.

Server Plug-in - Personally I think it should be Client Plug-in. Took a few minutes to undertand that it needed to be installed on the Client and the client needed to be running when trying to connect to it.

As for the App. The touch screen area is a nice feature. Scrowling around the screen is nice.
    I would like to see a few things.
    TV - The ability to type in a channel number
    Instruction - I understand some of the buttons are for some sections.
    A little more info on the Icons and what they are for would go a long way for a new person.

While I just installed this and only had a few minutes with it, I would rate it 8 or 9 out of 10..

ElSanto84

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2013
    Würzburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey breese,

thank you for your nice feedback :)
    Some things you mentioned is on the pipeline for the next upcoming version.
    Like entering channel number could be easily solved by a numeric keyboard. Instruction is unusual for iOS I think - we hoped it would
    be self explanatory but there is always a big difference between what the author thinks and how it feels in the end for the user.

Would be happy about more feedback. You feedback was the first one I got.

Thank you so much :)

Chris

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great plugin, just a few comments:

Would rather a direction pad with ok button in the middle than the faded square, Would allow for a few more buttons. You already have a back button so maybe leave the double tap out?

Pressing the i button in TV full screen jumps to another channel.

Text displayed at top of screen ( selected item text) doesn't display the clean display name of channel just the bare bones channel name.

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok so after changing channels the display name returns to the clean display name, must be first load that grabs the bare bones name. Would also rate this quite high 8++. Well done guys.

Does this have the ability to control many clients? ie connecting to mutable clients at once. Maybe sliding screens for each client.

Sure does solve IR remote issues, I was expecting it to have quite a bit of delay compared to IR remotes but this isn't the case.

ElSanto84

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2013
    Würzburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey Quarter,
    also thank you for your feedback :)
    I will check the issue with the "i-Button" today. Basically its the equivalent to pressing the Z Button on the Keyboard. That should - depending on your context - bring you to the Now Playing screen or give you information.
    The idea with the navigation remote buttons is also an idea we had. We decided for the sliding panel because you dont have to see the screen of your iphone then to navigate. Maybe its an idea to have a combination of both. If you particulary hit a button then the button will be excecuted. If you slide over the screen then you navigate.
    The other stuff I will also check today - the now playing issue. Basically I "ask" the skin "What are you displaying?" and display the result. So the results can vary from skin to skin. I have tested it with TITAN.
    I will talk to my design guy (who is currently on vacation) and then we will see what to take to the next version :)
    Thanks again for you feedback, I really appreciate it a lot!

Chris

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That is strange I always thought i-button (info) press was F3 on the keyboard, pressing z on my keyboard has the same effect jumps back to last viewed channel, also I find the context menu button doesn't work (F9 on keyboard) is this a different key press on your set up?

Cheers, not bad for your first release!

ElSanto84

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2013
    Würzburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Quarter, you are absolutely right.
    F3 is documented as "Show info about selected item" in the MP docu.
    Then Context Menu should be F9 Button I think (as you said)... We will check this out and put it onto the update list ;)
    Thanks god there is an Update function in the App Store :)

ElSanto84

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2013
    Würzburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey,
    we have submitted our first update for MPRemote S to the AppStore. It includes a hotfix for the context and info buttons. It should be online within 5 - 10 days.
    Enjoy the Update :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom