[New Skin] TrueView-Blue - in 800x600 (4x3) - Revealed (2 Viewers)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Because of my setup, I was designing TrueView-Blue for my personal use. My PCtoTV converter has both non- and overscan settings and I had been using the non-overscan setting because the mask on my picture-tube is misaligned/tilted slightly, enough to throw off the nice straight lines of text and graphics elements in the skin... it was just horrendous. The non-overscan setting created a nice clean/straight border.... So, I was putting things too close to the edges to make them all fit.

In consideration of those that don't do things the way I do on my HTPC, I'm going back and moving things around the best I can to allow for the overscan area on some TVs. There's a lot of stuff on those screens!!! ... and I haven't found all the screens yet. It looks like 10% is a standard overscan allowance for the 'safe zone', I tried 20 pixels as suggested by some, but because my tube is curved and not flat, I have to allow for more... so that cuts the usable space down to 720X540 on my 800X600 skin, or loss of 60 pixels of height and 80 pixels in width. . It makes a lot of difference in the negative space between defined blocks of information, when trying to not sacrifice the text size to keep legibility on a 4X3 TV (the primary reason I started this endeavor), and I don't like to crowd things. Although I spent 12 years trying to make the volume of research data for 300 engineers and scientists legible on 35mm film slides, it still isn't an easy thing to do when given a predetermined amount of information that needs to be presented in a limited space.

So with that in mind, please be patient with me. :D

And thanks for all the encouragement!

Regards,

Chuck

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Still trying to figure out the dialog (OSD) xml's.... just need to shift everything over and down a bit.

i'll be glad to help you however i can.
    a couple tools I use are:
    * wingrep to figure out which xml files use which images.
    * notepad++ for editing the xml files with syntax colors.

"myrefresh" plugin is obviously very useful to see changes without restarting.
    putting mediaportal into "de bug" level log ging is also to figure out which xml files are used and when.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Still trying to figure out the dialog (OSD) xml's.... just need to shift everything over and down a bit.

i'll be glad to help you however i can.
    a couple tools I use are:
    * wingrep to figure out which xml files use which images.
    * notepad++ for editing the xml files with syntax colors.

"myrefresh" plugin is obviously very useful to see changes without restarting.
    putting mediaportal into "de bug" level log ging is also to figure out which xml files are used and when.

Hi citizenkeys,

I'm not familiar with wingrep...
    I've been happy with MS XML Notepad.
    I also use myrefresh .... constantly. :D

Thanks for the offer.... all I'm needing is to move all the OSDs and pop-up dialogs from Blue3 to the right 40 pixels and down 12 pixels. I'm not planning on changing them much, other than just centering them on the new screen size (I might change the colors of the media to match my theme a little better). I just have to go thru them one by one.

Regards,

Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom