New to HTPCs here (2 Viewers)

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
December 21, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

A new comer to the world of HTPCs (not just MediaPortal or any other HTPC software for that matter) and a fair bit of reading and researching has lead to understand that MePo is most likely to give me what I am after in my HTPC.

What I want is to mainly watch my movies, TV shows, watch and record Live TV, stream to other devices connected to the same network (both Android and iOS devices) and look good on the TV, ie less like a PC and more like something you would buy out of the Currys :)

Hardware wise, I have just recently built the PC last week and all seems good, see http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/NbM8TW
All working well in Win10 64 config.

-----------------------------

1. I have yet to buy a TV Tuner (I want an internal card), but I thought it was wiser to leave that out until I could figure out which software I would use, so that's yet to be bought. Any recommendations? I was looking at the DVBSky card (http://www.amazon.co.uk/DVBSky-T958...50780457&sr=8-52&keywords=media+center+remote) but I can't find enough on it, and I think the drivers for Win10 are not available.

I would ideally like it to receive channels from hopefully Virgin Media, (I don't know yet as I will be moving in 6months but I don't know where to, just yet). If not Virgin Media, then it will be Sky, so I suppose I would need something that would accept the card?

Is TV Capturing a feature that has to be including with the TV Tuner that I buy, or is that software related?

2. Currently looking at which remote to buy to control everything. Is it possible for an Xbox controller to act as a remote, will it do everything that would be required? Only reason I ask is that i might reduce the clutter by having only that as opposed to that in addition to a remote (I do plan on gaming on this HTPC also).

3. After having read up on WMC, Emby, Kodi and MePo, I think MePo is the best for me, obviously only from what I had read so this might prove wrong once I start setting up. I have also read up on MP 1 and MP 2. From my understanding, MP2 is much newer but is stable now. My question is, is there any functionality missing from MP2 that MP1 has? Ie, if I go for MP2, would I be missing out on anything that MP1 has to offer? I don't mean from by the support standpoint, I mean purely from what the software has to offer, hope that makes sense. I must mention that although I have basic knowledge, it is very basic which is why I feel I'm less likely to start swearing if I go for MP2 as opposed to MP1. But if MP1 is functionally much better, than I will try and persevere.

-------------------------------

4. I understand MP1 allows DLNA to devices, does MP2 allow that also?

-------------------------------

Looks like it might be a bit of a journey in getting this all set up properly. Any hints to a complete newbie, much appreciated.
Thank you all, in advance :)

Last edited:

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
December 21, 2015
Home Country
In addition to Question 2, if the Xbox controller would be sufficient to act as a remote control, would the new Steam Controller work?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I would ideally like it to receive channels from hopefully Virgin Media,
    I know bugger-all about using cable in the UK, but I was under the impression that all channels supplied via Virgin cable are encrypted using a proprietary encryption scheme that can be decrypted only by a Virgin box. If true, you could use MediaPortal to record TV only if there is some way of getting the decrypted datastream out of the Virgin box and into your HTPC.

Don't Virgin supply Tivo boxes? You would probably be better off getting a Tivo to record TV, rather than trying to use MediaPortal. But what do I know?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Hmm, you might be right, I actually have no idea. Something to look into, thanks.

Any insight into any of the other questions, please?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome forinor

I suggest you check the wiki and/or forum, because most if not all of the information you're asking for is available in one or both of those... and it shouldn't be hard to find.

For example, info about Virgin Media or Sky:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/best-way-to-stream-virgin-media-tv.132003/#post-1151480

If you're looking for information more specific than that regarding decryption then please search other parts of the internet. We don't allow such discussions here because the information may be used to facilitate things that are against provider terms and conditions (=> they may decide to try to take legal action against us).

Is it possible for an Xbox controller to act as a remote...
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp1-4635-gamepad-support.130137/

etc.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Welcome forinor

Thank you

I suggest you check the wiki and/or forum, because most if not all of the information you're asking for is available in one or both of those... and it shouldn't be hard to find.

I did have a look at the MePo wiki page, perhaps I scanned through it too quickly. Thank you for the link.

If you're looking for information more specific than that regarding decryption then please search other parts of the internet. We don't allow such discussions here because the information may be used to facilitate things that are against provider terms and conditions (=> they may decide to try to take legal action against us).

No I wasn't asking anything illegal, I was simply asking if it possible to get a hardware piece that will slot into my HTPC that can read the card that Virgin Media would provide (after me having paid my correct subscription) and allow me to watch the channels that I pay for, so that I had more integration into my HTPC. If that makes sense?

Again, thank you.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No I wasn't asking anything illegal, I was simply asking if it possible to get a hardware piece that will slot into my HTPC that can read the card that Virgin Media would provide (after me having paid my correct subscription) and allow me to watch the channels that I pay for, so that I had more integration into my HTPC. If that makes sense?
    As it says in the thread I linked: the short answer to your question is yes.

What you're wanting to do is entirely understandable... and it's also against VM's Ts&Cs:
    http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/tv-fraud-and-piracy.html
    We should remind you that access to our TV services via any device other than what has been installed contractually by the company is illegal. Use of any device not provided by Virgin Media is a criminal and civil offence exposing violators to substantial penalties and /or jail time.

You can argue that you're entitled to do it because you pay for your subscription, and just between you and me I'd be on your side. However Team MediaPortal decided a long time ago that we don't want to give VM or any other provider any cause to come after us. With or without justification. We don't have the resources to fight them. Therefore, please respect our forum policy. If you want to know more you're going to have to do your research elsewhere. Hope you can understand and accept... and sorry to labour the point. I usually like to be more helpful than this.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    My apologies, I didn't realise VM's T&C's. Need to be more careful.
    Thank you :):)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Somebody is up for a spanking ;)
    lol
    Re: the remote option (2) - might find something interesting here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/what-remote-are-people-using-these-days.130878/
    (3) MP is much more for someone looking for a complete media solution - if you take the time with it, it will blow the rest of the competitors out of the water IMHO.
    Go with MP1 for the time being - it will give you the best grounding in the MP world and although MP2 is getting there, MP1 + plugins will get you there.
    (4) I don't think MP1 is a DLNA server, though MP2 is a MP1 plugin (https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/input-output/mp-upnp-renderer) which should do the trick :)

Oh and welcome to the mAd HoUsE!
    :love:

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Thank you very SpudR. I keep reading how people have taken months to get the setup right using MP, and that's putting off a little as I am not the best when it comes to understanding and configuring stuff like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom