New toy: Asrock ION 330 (1 Viewer)

TauTau

Portal Member
November 26, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi All,

I'm also convinced its time to upgrade from my old HTPC & about to order one of these (via FeppaSpot)... however, I realised I'm going to run into problems connecting to my old trustworthy 100Hz CRT TV - that only accepts S-Video, Composite, or Component in. :(

Do any of you know if the Asrock Ion 330 can output to my TV via a basic VGA to S-Video Cable with the Asrock Nvidia set to "TV-out"
Example (VGA to TV Converter S-Video/RCA OUT Cable Adapter, A351 - eBay VGA, SVGA, Cables, Components, Computers. (end time 20-Sep-09 18:00:19 AEST))

Or do I need to get some sort of Digital to analogue converter box like this one?
(PC VGA to TV RCA S-Video Signal Converter Adapter Box - eBay Other Adaptors, Adaptors, Components, Computers. (end time 20-Sep-09 18:58:37 AEST))

Or perhaps there is another way to resolve this (other than buying a new TV with HDMI / VGA inputs)

Please let me know your thoughts.
Kind Regards,
David.

I'm also interested in that question... I'm still on a CRT TV and can't switch until my youngest stops running around with pointy things ;)

ChiefGlider

Portal Member
February 26, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Another question:

The "HT" Version comes with a remote.. But what kind of remote is that? Is it an IR one? Would be cool so I can use my Logitech 555....

Is there anything else different in the HT Version?

Domini0n

Portal Pro
July 21, 2008
There is an artikel on tweakers.net, it is however in Dutch. But changes are that someone from Germany can make sense of it. ;)

Tweakers.net Artikel

Specification comparison table
Back side
Remote image

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Hi All,

I'm also convinced its time to upgrade from my old HTPC & about to order one of these (via FeppaSpot)... however, I realised I'm going to run into problems connecting to my old trustworthy 100Hz CRT TV - that only accepts S-Video, Composite, or Component in. :(

Do any of you know if the Asrock Ion 330 can output to my TV via a basic VGA to S-Video Cable with the Asrock Nvidia set to "TV-out"
Example (VGA to TV Converter S-Video/RCA OUT Cable Adapter, A351 - eBay VGA, SVGA, Cables, Components, Computers. (end time 20-Sep-09 18:00:19 AEST))

Or do I need to get some sort of Digital to analogue converter box like this one?
(PC VGA to TV RCA S-Video Signal Converter Adapter Box - eBay Other Adaptors, Adaptors, Components, Computers. (end time 20-Sep-09 18:58:37 AEST))

Or perhaps there is another way to resolve this (other than buying a new TV with HDMI / VGA inputs)

Please let me know your thoughts.
Kind Regards,
David.

I'm also interested in that question... I'm still on a CRT TV and can't switch until my youngest stops running around with pointy things ;)

As you can see on the images, there is no s-video out on the unit. Only HDMI and VGA, aslo a converter is included to connect DVI to HDMI. This means that you will need some kind of converter or a new TV with HDMI or VGA connection.

TauTau

Portal Member
November 26, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
So I bought me one at ebay, but it has no power supply... can someone do me a favour, and take a measurement of the plug at the Asrock side? Those Powersupplies are quite widespread and I'm sure to find one, but I'd need to know what size the plug has (inside+outside). And maybe if someone has a multimeter he can check if plus is on the outside or inside of the plug ;)

TauTau

Portal Member
November 26, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Thanks, I already found images of the power supply itself, but there's models with 2,5mm inner size and 1,7mm, I didn't know which one... But after some searching (there are different models delivered with the Asrock Ion), I opted for the 2,5mm version, I think it is right... if it's not I'll just solder the correct one on ;)

lied

December 28, 2009
Nürnberg
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi everybody,

I also bought the Asrock ION 330. Now I was reading the whole thread and I'm a little bit confused about:
- which codecs to use
- which version of MediaPortal (Beta or Stable release)
- which usb-IR to use
- and which DVB card you use

I installed Win7 64bit with the stable MP. For me everything was working fine (maybe I don't know better cause this is my first MP installation). I also overclocked the ION to 1,9GHz like the treadstarter. I can play HD content (MKV) very well on my Samsung 46" TV.

Now I'm searching for a IR receiver which can be controlled by a Logitech Harmony (is it possible to buy only the MCE IR USB receiver without the remote?).
At the moment I use the bundled DVB-C receiver in my Samsung to watch TV. I'm also interested to replace the bundled one with a USB one connected to my ION 330.
:D

Domini0n

Portal Pro
July 21, 2008
I use the Philips OVU4120 USB IR-Reciever. It came without remote, but can also be bought with one I believe. This USB will only work under Vista or Higher, tried it under XP and you can get it installed, but it will work like crap. Vista and higher installs the unit automatically. The Philips USB IR-Receiver is used in combination with a Harmony 555 and works like a charm. I just programmed my Harmony to be a MCE remote and in MP you select MCE remote and you are ready to go.

I don't use any DVB-C USB with my ION330, I use a separate settop box.

lied

December 28, 2009
Nürnberg
Home Country
Germany Germany
I use the Philips OVU4120 USB IR-Reciever.

I don't use any DVB-C USB with my ION330, I use a separate settop box.

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I already figured your IR-Receiver out (by the way you have typo in receiver in you profile ;-) ). I searched the whole day for an intershop who sale this receiver :). Nothing found ...

If you have an separate DVB-C you can't record with mediaportal or am I wrong?

Greets

Domini0n

Portal Pro
July 21, 2008
by the way you have typo in receiver in you profile ;-) ). I searched the whole day for an intershop who sale this receiver :). Nothing found ...

You mean the USB Receiver? or are you talking about something else... Because I can't find a typo :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom