New toy: Asrock ION 330 (1 Viewer)

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm wondering if an ION330 owner ever tried to disable the onboard 2" fan which is the main source of HF noise... Anybody?

I wouldn't recommend that, since at least in my setup (overclocked to 1,9 GHz) the GPU and CPU get quite hot (GPU ~ 63°) even with the fan turned on.

But it would be interesting if it's worth a to replace the fan by another another brand which is more silent.

Anyone?

ravenrocks

Portal Pro
    October 11, 2007
    Hmm, I had the same issue with HF noice even when running mine on "super silent" and NOT overclocked, I returned it and I'm now waiting for a replacement. The salesperson said that they had 2 more returned earlier for the same reason. I wonder if my replacement will be silent or if they still use the same fan. In that case I'm getting my money back instead. That sound is intolerable.

Domini0n

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2008
    Have not heard any HF sounds from my machine. Is it audible from a distance or when you put your ear near the unit? I sit around 3 meters away on my couche and have set fan speed to silent lever 1 and I can hardly hear the unit. When it is completely silent you can hear a low soft sound that is in my opinion silent. In my line of work I did however learn that people experience noise completely different. Some even notice a slight buzzing from their AC adapter when watching a movie. That is impressive... :p

ravenrocks

Portal Pro
    October 11, 2007
    If I twisted my head(my ears tag along) to the left and right I would pick up on the high pitch in different angels, in some angels(if my head was straight forward it would appear to sound less. The sound was audible from 3 meters away, then my room ends and I never tested it outside of it. I do agree that some of us have better or in this case worse hearing than others. Anyway, this whole situation reminded me of an old seinfeld joke, and I think we need to laugh atleast once a day so here goes:

"With any kind of physical test, I don't know what it is, I always seem to get competitive. Remember when you were in school and they'd do those hearing tests? And you'd really be listening hard, you know?
    I wanted to do unbelievable on the hearing test. I wanted them to come over to me after and go, "We think you may have something close to super-hearing. What you heard was a cotton ball touching a piece of felt. We're sending the results to Washington, we'd like you to meet the President."

Domini0n

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2008
    :D LOL

Well, if it is audible from 3 meters then I can understand that you want to return it. My Philips TV made a HF noise, my dad has the same TV but doesn't hear anything. I was watching a movie last time at my parants house and MAN did it have HF noise. So I can understand that you would want to return the unit. But they do not all have this defect as my unit is silent.

Sphero

Portal Pro
    June 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Great to hear such small and light computers are good enough to playback 1080p content.

I have been watching some reviews about this kind of computers. Today I received a Fit PC 2 at my work and I was eager to test mediaportal and the playback of HD content. Unfortunately, the playback of this test movie Elephants Dream Download & Watch didn't work to well. It looks like the movie is playing in slowmotion and the CPU runs around 80%.

As it only consumes about 10watt, it seems the computer is not powerfull enough to playback the 1080p content. However, reading this thread gives new perspective :)

malagem

Portal Member
    September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I have the HF noise issue from time to time, and it also depends of the angle my head makes with the invisible line that links me to the device, like ravenrocks. What's funny is that, at certain times, the noise can become quite hearable even if the TV or the HIFI plays at reasonable level, while at other times the noise is virtually inaudible when the TV or the HIFI is silent... My fan is set to silent in the bios too, I'm wondering if I should not try to get a supersilent PAPST replacement fan and do the swap.

On another note, I finally managed to get a 1:1 ratio 1080 image on my TV, and the quality is increadible ! Watching Blade Runner Director's Cut yesterday evening, I litteraly rediscovered the movie. And I also succeeded eliminating all video jitter & glitches in SD videos by forcing & upgrading to the last version of ffdshow.

Domini0n

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2008
    Good to hear that you've experienced the full potential of your TV.

Are you sure the FAN is making the HF noise? If it does, I would replace it or return the unit. I'll try and listen a little better to see if I can detect a similar noise.

aghira1

Portal Member
    February 16, 2008
    Hello,

i also have the issue with overscan on a sony ... malagem how did you got it fixed?

Thanks

Maybe the HF noise is comming from the harddisk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom