New user - Basic questions (1 Viewer)

rpleasan

Portal Member
January 3, 2009
Hi there. I am coming from XBMC using MediaStream and moved to Media Portal on my new HTPC. I have a few questions with the new current version of StreamMP;

1. When I launch MP, my media stream is completely blank. It's not until I move the cursor to the menu does it reactivate. Anyway to fix this and reorganize my menu items?

2. My time doesn't fit into the box and spills out to the right.

3. I get no RSS feeds or Weather on the home screen. I see the header #RSS FEED and so on. How do I activate this?

4. How can I edit the home file to change the source locations for some items and remove other menu items completely. For example, I can't get the TV Server to work so I use WinTV Scheduler. I want Watch TV Shows to navigate to my of recorded tv folder (added as a source in My Videos).

5. From the main menu, when I highlight an item, I hit the right arrow and expect to bring up a sub-menu. This doesn't occur all the time. Sometimes, the sub-menu shows up but in the middle of the screen with a blank top-menu.

6. What's up with the top menu right below the time? It has a check box and X box. I really don't need these becaue I want them to be integrated into the home screen (i.e. On/Off menu item with sub-menu).

7. I also get hang-ups sometimes. I am still trying to learn the keyboard navigation and sometimes I get lost.

I appreciate your time. What I was hoping was to get the same experience from MP and the StreamMP skin as I had with XBMC and the MediaStream skin.

thx,
~r

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    1. When I launch MP, my media stream is completely blank. It's not until I move the cursor to the menu does it reactivate. Anyway to fix this and reorganize my menu items?

I think this is a known issue when the mouse moves in BasicHome, StreamedMP only supports a remote or keyboard without a trackball. We are still investigating if something can be done about this. What happens when MediaPortal starts automatically with windows?

2. My time doesn't fit into the box and spills out to the right.

I know the current design only support date in short time format, but this may not be your issue. Can you post a screenshot or even better raise it on the bugtracker.

3. I get no RSS feeds or Weather on the home screen. I see the header #RSS FEED and so on. How do I activate this?

In MediaPortal configuration define a weather under weather settings, RSS can be defined under plugins->process plugins->MP-RSSTicker

4. How can I edit the home file to change the source locations for some items and remove other menu items completely. For example, I can't get the TV Server to work so I use WinTV Scheduler. I want Watch TV Shows to navigate to my of recorded tv folder (added as a source in My Videos).

First ensure that under MediaPortal Configuration->General you have 'Start with BasicHome' defined, second as part of the StreamedMP install package you can find a BasicHome Editor installed (shortcut on the desktop and in the StartMenu program groups). Use the editor to remove items and add new ones.

5. From the main menu, when I highlight an item, I hit the right arrow and expect to bring up a sub-menu. This doesn't occur all the time. Sometimes, the sub-menu shows up but in the middle of the screen with a blank top-menu.

MediaPortals skin engine is not as advanced as XBMCs so this could be a deficiency you are describing...a picture to illustrate might help.

6. What's up with the top menu right below the time? It has a check box and X box. I really don't need these because I want them to be integrated into the home screen (i.e. On/Off menu item with sub-menu).

Not sure what you mean, a picture again to illustrate. Maybe you are talking about the TopBar (this can be disabled under Configuration->Plugins.

7. I also get hang-ups sometimes. I am still trying to learn the keyboard navigation and sometimes I get lost.

I appreciate your time. What I was hoping was to get the same experience from MP and the StreamMP skin as I had with XBMC and the MediaStream skin.

thx,
    ~r[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom