New user moving from Windows Media Centre (1 Viewer)

MoDementia

Portal Member
January 30, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,
I have tried 3-4 times now to setup Media Portal as an alternative to Windows Media Centre without 100% satisfaction.
Could I suggest creating a cut-down installer to get new users like with me up and running quickly with a similiar interface to WMC
I exclusivly use a mouse with WMC and this is usually where it starts to unravel.
I can't specifically remember the things which make me uninstall it but here are the must haves I'm looking for
Not have to scroll the menu to select a link. i.e. Left mouse click only works on the item selected not on the item under the mouse pointer.
Library: Mouse wheel support. Rather large library and easy/fast in WMC to mouse wheel scroll through the list and select.
Skip forward and skip back. Very used to 30 secs forward and 10 secs back default in WMC for fast ad skipping.
Player controls down the bottom (Replicate WMC)
Initially set WMC as TV/DVR: can move to DVBLogic etc later
And of course plays the library of wtv and dvr-ms flawlessly

I think if MediaPortal , Emby, Kodi or Plex thought about this "Introductory" version of their aplication they could win over a lot of users who wouald be other wise intimidated by how much configuration/options are required/available.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Could I suggest creating a cut-down installer to get new users like with me up and running quickly with a similiar interface to WMC
    Yep, you can suggest that. My response would be that MediaPortal isn't intended to be a "WMC clone". MediaPortal is an alternative option, and therefore we don't feel any obligations to rehash the same interface, design choices, limitations etc. as WMC. We recognise that people will use the software that suits them best, and it doesn't hurt our feelings when people don't choose MediaPortal.

In other words:
    1. MediaPortal is different by design.
    2. If you like WMC, why don't you stick with it?

I exclusivly use a mouse with WMC and this is usually where it starts to unravel.
    I can't specifically remember the things which make me uninstall it but here are the must haves I'm looking for
    Not have to scroll the menu to select a link. i.e. Left mouse click only works on the item selected not on the item under the mouse pointer.
    This is solved very simply: don't use Titan (the default skin). Titan isn't designed to be used with a mouse. There are plenty of other options.
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/skins
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...diaPortal_Configuration/13_GUI#Skin_Selection

I use a skin called DefaultWide which comes bundled with MediaPortal (like Titan). It works fine with a mouse (which I also use exclusively).

Library: Mouse wheel support. Rather large library and easy/fast in WMC to mouse wheel scroll through the list and select.
    Works fine in DefaultWide. Can't speak for Titan.

Skip forward and skip back. Very used to 30 secs forward and 10 secs back default in WMC for fast ad skipping.
    That's not possible. We intentionally do things a different way in MP.
    With MP you have 2 options, and they're explained in our wiki here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...diaPortal_Configuration/13_GUI/7_Skip_Steps_*

Personally I find the left/right skip steps much faster than the WMC approach.

Player controls down the bottom (Replicate WMC)
    This may be a skin-specific design choice. In other words: the location of the player controls may depend on which skin you decide to use.
    In any case, as I said above: we're not here to replicate WMC. If you're going to use MP then expect differences.

Initially set WMC as TV/DVR: can move to DVBLogic etc later
    MediaPortal has its own TV/DVR, so we have no need to integrate with WMC. I believe it's possible to use DVBLogic/DVBLink through TV Server if you really want to... but I'm not sure what advantage that would give you. It would be more complex to configure and have more chance of breaking down.

And of course plays the library of wtv and dvr-ms flawlessly
    It's possible to play both WTV and DVR-MS files in MP. There's one caveat: if the WTV contains protected content then you won't be able to play it (...but then nor can any other software; such files are restricted to WMC).

Regards,
    mm

MoDementia

Portal Member
    January 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks,
    Maybe let me rephase it.
    I don't expect fundemental changes to be made to any application.
    A stickied post "Welcome to New Users coming from WMC"
    For mouse users
    We suggest using the skin DefaultWide, with these setting and addins blah blah...

For MCE Remote Users the default Titan skin should be familiar enough

If you can specify specific setups, skins, addins etc to atleast get new users coming from WMC
    Especilaly if this was a built in default...
    Once people are up and running they can then explore all the other specifics of Media Portal.

AS fror WMC itself It just made it into Windows 8, and I have my doubts it will make it into 10 and certainly not after that.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For mouse users
    We suggest using the skin DefaultWide, with these setting and addins blah blah...

For MCE Remote Users the default Titan skin should be familiar enough
    These are what the setup guides in the wiki are for.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Quick_Setup

As somebody who is familiar with WMC, you'd be welcome to contribute a "migration guide" for people that have come from WMC if you think it would help.

AS fror WMC itself It just made it into Windows 8, and I have my doubts it will make it into 10 and certainly not after that.
    I guess we'll see. It doesn't cost MS anything to keep it as a paid add-on, and I don't see them lining up a replacement (ie. there's no reason for them to remove it).

royatl

June 6, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,
    Well, it has now been announced that WMC is done and will NOT be in Win 10, even as an add-on. That is how I've found my way here; one or two articles have popped up to recommend replacements, and they gave pretty good reviews of MediaPortal. I've been using WMC mainly as a TV and DVR for years and have been fairly satisfied with it, though there are a couple annoyances here and there.
    You have a rare opportunity here, given to you by Microsoft. Unfortunately, the attitude I detect in the previous responses in this thread makes me wonder if I should install what I just downloaded.

In any case, a guide to setting up MediaPortal to act as close to WMC as possible would be good.

I have a question about tuner compatibility, but I'll start that in a separate thread

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    The "attitude" as you call it comes only because more people are switching from WMC to other programs like MP und still expect a complete clone of WMC. Why, do you think, MePo was introduced in the first place?
    MM1352000 is usually the most patient person you can find here, but I can understand his annoyance after answering the same questions over and over again.
    Since MePo is a freeware program, everybody is welcome to write a guide for people having problems with the switch.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome @royatl ! :)

I'm sorry you think I had an attitude. I hope you do decide to stick around and give MediaPortal a shot. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I would like to jump in here and say that I moved from WMC to MP approx 3 years ago.

It is a completely different 'product'. WMC is very much plug and play, most configuration options are locked down so to change anything you have to 'hack'. Basically you get what you are given with WMC, and compared to MP it is lacking in MANY areas. MP is so open, a user can configure so many things to get the final product that matches their very specific needs.

I have contributed to the Wiki, but if anyone new finds it lacking, please step in and make any adjustments that you feel are necessary.

For a beginner to MP coming from WMC, I would point out the following...

1. MayaHD skin is most WMC like, but also try Titan, or stick to default whilst getting familiar with the product
    2. My TV-Series and Moving Pictures are fantastic plug-ins, users may prefer these to the integrated videos database option
    3. Auto refresh rate changing is fabulous! Don't miss it in the configuration options.
    4. WASAPI and MediaPortal Audio renderer is very useful, especially for Freeview HD users in the UK
    5. Most users will have all of their codec needs met by using just LAV filters, don't worry about codec packs.
    6. Can use any other windows device as a client (extender) and get full functionaility in multiple rooms - the Trakt plug in can keep all devices synced
    7. The TV Server can simultaneously access all TV channels that are broadcast on the same mux, at the same time, this means that with just two tuners a user can, in theory, record 10+ channels at the same time!
    8. Setting up EPG is not automated as it is within WMC. Using OTA DVB EPG will get you going, trying some of the internet based XMLTV EPG options can giving you better quality data for a longer period.
    9. If you get stuck do check the wiki, and use the forum. Be polite and help will come flooding in :)

And finally, here is a video I made of my set up last summer. This is using Titan extended skin with customised artwork. And I am using Argus TV Server instead of MP TV Server.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, it has now been announced that WMC is done and will NOT be in Win 10, even as an add-on. That is how I've found my way here; one or two articles have popped up to recommend replacements, and they gave pretty good reviews of MediaPortal.
    I used Windows Media Center (on Vista) for five years, before moving to MediaPortal eight months ago.

In my view, you will find things that you like:), and things that you dislike :(, about every piece of software that you use (I know I do!).

There were things about WMC that I wished were different, and there are things about MP that I wish were different, but these MP "quirks" are less objectionable than the WMC "quirks", so I am staying with MP. (y)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I, too, migrated from WMC some years ago. The biggest hurdles for mouse users are these:

1. Use a skin that supports mouse usage -- I use PureVisionHD, but Default Wide is also good -- same author.
    2. Understand that there are "menus" that slide out from the left when you move the mouse over there.
    3. Understand that the on screen display (OSD) that slides up from the bottom is of little "use" for mouse users, but does carry information.
    4. The "topbar" must be enabled to be seen. Also, skip steps are not present in the topbar. Scroll wheel forward and back executes skip steps.
    5. Scrollbars, etc. must be enabled to be seen. (I forget just where this is done.) Scrollbars operate differently than Windows standard -- better in my opinion.
    6. Not every function available to a remote is available to a mouse.

You will be happy using a mouse. A keyboard is almost never needed, except for Windows things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom