New user moving from Windows Media Centre (1 Viewer)

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Edalex is right about importing WTV files as recordings. Adding them to the videos section is easy; adding them as recordings is a completely different story.

The other thing I want to do is move the live TV buffer or whatever MP calls it on to a USB stick
    I'd recommend caution with this approach. While USB sticks may have fast read access, the write access can be slower than a traditional HDD... and that can obviously have an impact on channel change times. Anecdotally, USB controllers also seem to have more issues (eg. bad controller drivers that have high or spiky DPC latency; bandwidth contention due to the number of connected devices and/or motherboard design) than traditional HDDs. If you don't want to use your SSD for timeshifting (which is understandable, though perhaps not as much of a concern as you might imagine) and you don't have enough RAM (memory) available to create a RAM disk, then I would probably recommend using a traditional HDD before I'd recommend a USB stick... but perhaps it's worth trying both and seeing real world results before deciding.

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK I am making slow progress -
    The issues

- I am expecting the old WMC (sorry to keep mentioning that) remote to work the same as it used to for instance pressing TV will go direct to TV and pressing DVD will go direct to Movies etc - am I expecting too much here? I am using iMon with an antec fusion case and I can see the commands come up on the case window. My IR media keyboard works well well with the same restrictions as the remote except the escape key goes back... I will have to change the mapping - where can I see the mapping list - the actual keystrokes - I ahve found where to do it in the config - to remote commands?

- Recorded TV - I would like to import the old WTV files but they seem not to be recognised as they do not appear in the window to be imported. Even changing the name to .TS does not do anything...

- DVD import works but the cover art is a complete mess.

- Music import again imports but the cover art is also a complete mess with the same art being used on many titles.

- Plugins - I can see the plugins and have enabled them but they do not appear on the screen under plugins. Like wise plugins I have disables are still visible - it is driving me crazy.... is there some where else to edit/configure plug ins?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    - I am expecting the old WMC (sorry to keep mentioning that) remote to work the same as it used to
    Pass. Sorry, I've never had a MC remote.

- Recorded TV - I would like to import the old WTV files but they seem not to be recognised as they do not appear in the window to be imported. Even changing the name to .TS does not do anything...
    You can't import into recorded TV unless you have a Matroska format XML file to go with each recording. TV Server normally creates these XML files when it starts a recording, so there's usually no problem reimporting recordings created by TV Server. However, importing recordings created by other software will require some effort.

- DVD import works but the cover art is a complete mess.

- Music import again imports but the cover art is also a complete mess with the same art being used on many titles.
    Are you expecting MediaPortal to download cover art for you, or do you have cover art already which you want MP to use, or...???

- Plugins - I can see the plugins and have enabled them but they do not appear on the screen under plugins. Like wise plugins I have disables are still visible - it is driving me crazy.... is there some where else to edit/configure plug ins?
    Do you have MP configuration open at the same time as MP?
    A specific example with log files [so we can verify the plugin is disabled/enabled in configuration] is probably the best way to move forward here.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    - I am expecting the old WMC (sorry to keep mentioning that) remote to work the same as it used to for instance pressing TV will go direct to TV and pressing DVD will go direct to Movies etc - am I expecting too much here?
    Normally not. but this:
    I am using iMon with an antec fusion case
    is the problem. You need to configure this for usage with MP. If you really would use an "original" WMC remote, this would work ootb.

WTV is a WMC only file format, not used by something else. You can not import those to "Recordings" as MP needs .ts files here alongside with an xml description file. .TS is the most common DVB container as most TV stations worldwide are broadcasting their digital TV in a .TS container. But you're WTV are not completely lost, as long as they are not copy protected (DRM). Then you simply can import them into "MyVideos" plugin and watch them from there. But if they are protected you can not use them any longer...

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the replies - it is close to 1am where I am so I am going to bed and will take a look later today....

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Plugins - I can see the plugins and have enabled them but they do not appear on the screen under plugins. Like wise plugins I have disables are still visible - it is driving me crazy.... is there some where else to edit/configure plug ins?
    I think that you may have made the same mistake that I did -- in the "Plugins" section of "MP Config", the plugins that are disabled are greyed out, but it is quite subtle and you may have difficulty distinguishing the difference between greyed-out and not greyed-out. If you move the mouse pointer over the plugin of interest and wait for it to be highlighted, the leftmost button at the bottom will display either "Enable" or "Disable", which tells you what will happen if you select that button.

I had lots of DVR-MS files when I migrated from Vista Media Center eight months ago. I already had those files arranged in a folder tree that grouped them meaningfullly, so I simply defined the root folder of that folder tree in the "Video Folders" section (in the "Videos" section of "MP Config").

I don't use artwork or thumbnails.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Additionally, if the wtv files are of tv shows that are in thetvdb.com, you could use the TV Series plug in and have them displayed to you in a very pretty and configurable way. Likewise if they are films with the Moving Pictures plug in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom