No AC3 sound ... (2 Viewers)

fanoI

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
I had the same problem AC3 audio with 44.1 KHz sampling cannot be played with bitstream by mediaportal! Same exact issue LAV audio tries to load (I see the icon for a microsecond) and then Mediaportal decides to use the Microsoft codec that then plays without audio (?).

IMHO disable bitstream is not a solution but only a kludge:

1. Yes HDMI could transport 5.1 audio in PCM but Windows could "touch" the audio resempling it or worst:
  2. ... if you have set the system for 2 channels multichannel audio is always downmixed (!) while if you set 5.1 channels stereo audio is upmixed in ugly way (same audio from from front and side speakers) in that case I'd like to use Dolby Pro Logic II / DTS Neo in my amplifier but if I set Windows with 5.1 speaker I cannot!
But the really strange thing is with the same file and same amplifier in another HTPC of an year ago the same file plays in bitstream (and yes LAV Audio kick in!) while in the new one nothing can be hear... how is possible?

The only difference is the Video Card in the old HTPC is a Nvidia while in the new one is an Intel but I'm specifically asking to bitstream so why the format is "checked" and then refused to be played?

As a last resort I've tried AC3 filter but it said that S/PDIF bitstream was disabled while it was enabled in configuration... well probably is too old and I'm unsure if it works with HDMI anyway...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had the same problem AC3 audio with 44.1 KHz sampling cannot be played with bitstream by mediaportal!
    To be clear: if this is the same problem as talked about earlier in this thread, the problem is not with MP. It's either a problem with your audio sink (receiver or TV) or your PC's HDMI output/driver.

IMHO disable bitstream is not a solution but only a kludge
    Obviously it's not nice, but if your receiver/output doesn't support AC3 with 44.1 kHz sample rate then you have only 2 options:
    • disable bit-streaming
    • resample to a supported sample rate (don't ask me how to do this!)
    But the really strange thing is with the same file and same amplifier in another HTPC of an year ago the same file plays in bitstream (and yes LAV Audio kick in!) while in the new one nothing can be hear... how is possible?
    Could be many things including different hardware (video card as you said), drivers, configuration...

The only difference is the Video Card...
    If you think that is the case, why don't you try the old video card in the new HTPC.

...but I'm specifically asking to bitstream so why the format is "checked" and then refused to be played?
    I don't know... but it's nothing to do with MP.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...then I'm sorry but I can't provide any further help.

P.S. Without log files, everything is still an assumption from my side.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    As a last resort I've tried AC3 filter but it said that S/PDIF bitstream was disabled while it was enabled in configuration... well probably is too old
    no, it is not too old, and works by me at home (my old receiver doesn't understand bitrates higher that 448, so AC3 filter resamples it for me and sends to receiver over SPDIF).
    I'm unsure if it works with HDMI anyway..
    AC3 filter, and LAV audio also, do not care what media is used for transferring - SPDIF coax, optic or HDMI. WIndows just reports that it has digital output, not what media the signal will be transferred over.
    So, as @mm1352000 said - check what formats do not work, fiddle a bit with windows windows audioplayback device settings (try to set e.g.other sample rate), and if this won't help - use AC3Filter to resample audio that your system can't play.

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    In theory if the audio should be sent as "bitstream" Windows sampling rate, number of speaker and so on should not count the stream untouched should be send to the amplifier.

Someone have said that the HDMI cable could be a problem? That is do exist cables that cannot transport 44.1 KHz while transporting 48 KHz perfectly? Well to exchange the cables is the only thing we don't tried...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom