No PMT found when tuning to second and subsequent channels (1 Viewer)

dwikkel

November 17, 2015
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
After reboot or startup of the TVserver, I can successfully tune to any of the DVB-T channels found. However as soon as I tune to a second channel, I get the No PMT found error. This error then persists till I restart the server. Happens for TV channels as well as radio channels.

No idea where to start searching.

Logs of the TVServer attached from fresh installation today till problem occurs

Attachments

• install_1.12.0.0_2015-11-17_20-13-23.zip
    80.8 KB
  • install_1.12.0.0_2015-11-17_20-13-23.zip
    80.8 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

After reboot or startup of the TVserver, I can successfully tune to any of the DVB-T channels found. However as soon as I tune to a second channel, I get the No PMT found error.
    According to the log files it seems that the problem only happens if you stop the first channel before tuning to the second channel.

Please try to change the "preferred network provider" and "when card enters idle state..." settings as shown here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

dwikkel

November 17, 2015
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi there,

It was the "preferred network provider" setting that did the trick. I had to change it from "generic" to "DVBT".
    Changing only the setting "when card enters idle state..." did not cause any change in behaviour (although stopping the cards seems to lead to quicker zapping) .

Thanks for the directions. Wouldn't have found it. I never had to change that setting on any of my previous installations. I wonder what caused it. (addition of a USB to ethernet adapter? disabling the the built in Wifi network card?)

Thanks,

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It was the "preferred network provider" setting that did the trick. I had to change it from "generic" to "DVBT".
    Great. Thanks for reporting the solution. :)

I never had to change that setting on any of my previous installations.
    Were your previous installations on Windows XP?

I wonder what caused it.
    Some tuners require the "generic" network provider; others require the "specific" ones (DVBT, DVBS, DVBC, ATSC).
    Most often it seems to be older tuners that require the "specific" network provider. I guess maybe that's because the "generic" network provider was added with Windows Vista, but the tuner driver was designed/intended for use on XP... but I don't know for sure.

(addition of a USB to ethernet adapter? disabling the the built in Wifi network card?)
    I don't know about your previous installations that were working, so I don't know if these are the only relevant changes.
    I guess it is possible that connecting a high bandwidth USB device (eg. USB to ethernet) on the same USB controller as the tuner could cause problems if the USB controller's bandwidth or power are exceeded. Everything is a guess; it is not possible to know for sure.

Kind regards,
    mm

dwikkel

November 17, 2015
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    1) previous installations: were on "vista business" and "win7 pro" all with the same tuner (pinnacle 72e). Current installation is win10 home (but still the pinnacle 72e tuner).
    2) funny thing is: current installation still with the pinnacle 72e tuner (win 10 home on a compute stick) worked fine till I changed: disable built in wifi, add USB hub, attach USB to ethernet adapter, change network from "Public" to "private" in win10 (or like you said, maybe I changed something else that seems irrelevant to me)
    3) tuner is a pinnacle 72e (driver dated 2007)

Anyway, let's hope the post can trigger other people to try and test with the network provider. seems a very important setting.

best regards,
    dwikkel

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for the information about your tuner. I've created a file to record information about tuners that require special settings. I hope in future we will be able to use that information to configure the default settings correctly.

add USB hub
    This can definitely be a problem in some cases, especially if the USB hub does not have an external power connection. If you're really interested I suppose you could temporarily remove the hub, change the network provider setting back to "generic", and then see if the problem persists.

howeld

March 18, 2016
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Hi
    I have had this same problem for years. Could only get PCTV72e to work on Vista, not on Win 7 and upwards.
    Setting "preferred network provider" to 'DVB-T' seems to have fixed it on Win 10.
    Setting "when card enters idle state..." to 'pause' made all cards busy all the time.
    Have even tried other PVR's eg Next, WMC, Argus etc, but no luck.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom