No subtitles on HD channels (2 Viewers)

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,

Yes, I have scanned for new channels both with the old RCs and as part of the installation of RC4.

I find it a bit strange that subtitles are working for you, while my dump indicated that there weren't any...

It would be quite interesting if anyone else with a fire-/floppydtv-s2 could try if it works for them.

Last edited:

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Can you attach fresh logs, so i can compare freq etc (the log attache to first post indicates tune to wrong freq?

Regards
    Roy

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

New logs attached. Comparing tv.log with kingofsat or lyngsat the tuning details seems to match.

Last edited:

Ambass

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Subtitles/teletext pids are not included in the Hw filtering list.

It was an arbitrary choice to guarantee viewing/recording simultaneously of 3 channels on the same S2 transponder.
    Adding these pids could result with a maximum of 2 ( depending of number of audio/subtitle pids )

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hi,

Subtitles/teletext pids are not included in the Hw filtering list.

It was an arbitrary choice to guarantee viewing/recording simultaneously of 3 channels on the same S2 transponder.
    Adding these pids could result with a maximum of 2 ( depending of number of audio/subtitle pids )

What causes that limit? CAM or broken HW design? :) As subtitle stream bandwidth requirements are really low compared to normal SD video stream and almost non-existent when comparing to HD video stream.

From user's point of view missing subtitles are worser experience than missing ability to record one extra channel (as for some users program without subtitles could render it useless. Try to think a Swede to understand Russian :))

Ambass

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    It's really not bandwith.

The limit is fixed by hardware ( only 16 Pids are available for filtering in FireDTV ). So we can add subtitles pid's and let the hw limit do the rest...

Sorry, As I never use subtitles, I completely forgot Sweden trying to understand Russian ;)

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

The limit is fixed by hardware ( only 16 Pids are available for filtering in FireDTV ). So we can add subtitles pid's and let the hw limit do the rest...

Is this a major change or something which could be added before 1.0?

Sorry, As I never use subtitles, I completely forgot Sweden trying to understand Russian ;)

:) It's actually hard enough to understand Swedish when the Mrs. is sleeping next to you and nags about the volume beeing too loud...

Last edited:

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Hi,
    Ambass, didn't reach you on irc(missed by 15 mins ;) )
    Does this mean that for "us up north" should stay away from floppy products due to this problem or do you know if digital everywhere is going to do something about the limitation?

Regards
    Roy

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

For me its not the Swedish or Russian that are bothering, but I watch sometimes France movies and dont understand a thing :) (And its a really good thing that they dont use dubbing...)

Ambass

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi Ronilse,

Was also on IRC 1 hour after....;)

The Hw filtering is only applied for S2 transponders since users experiment problem with high symbol rate ( >= 30000 ).
    The Hw filtering is limited by the board at 16 pids.

This generally means a limit of watching 2 simultaneous channels. ( depending of how many audio and subtitles streams ). Without subtitles, 3 or 4 channels can be received, but globally, HD channels are encrypted and CAMs allow only 1 or 2 of them to be descrambled, so....:rolleyes:

Additionally, I do not know where is the bottleneck ( FireDTV card / CAM / Firewire / motherboard... ). May be I'm wrong but I think a 30000 symbol rate means around 240 Mbit/s that is probably a bit high to be continuously sustained on firewire.

Globally the card is not so bad, there is no reason to stay away from these products.

ambass

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom