No video in channel preview window (1 Viewer)

Sakols

Portal Member
November 21, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, Im not getting any video in the TV Server video preview window, while I do get audio. the video window is white. I have updated to the latest version of MP, and reinstalled LAV codecs, still no video. Logs attached. Not sure where to look to fix this.

Attachments

• SetupTv.log
    2.7 KB
  • streaming server.Log
    1.1 KB
  • TsWriter.log
    239.9 KB
  • TVService.log
    55.3 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In the MP client, I do see the video.
    Other users experience this. See for example this thread.

I don't know anything about the internals of "TV Server" or "TV Server Config", but my understanding is that the "Preview" window in "TV Server Config" uses a simplified interface to the tuning and decoding parts of "TV Server", as a result of which it does not work for all TV datastreams. In contrast, the MP client uses the full-function interface that supports all of the variants in TV datastreams.

If the "Preview" window previously worked OK, but has recently stopped working, I would suspect that your broadcaster has changed the datastream in such a way that it can no longer be handled by the simplified interface used for the "Preview" window.

Sadly, the number of active developers for MP1 has been steadily decreasing over the years, and the current team has no one who knows anything about "TV Server". So I think that it is unlikely that any solution or workaround will become available for the "Preview" screen. Sorry if this is not the answer that you were hoping for. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Sakols

Portal Member
    November 21, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks.

Perhaps I migrate to MP2? I have experience a lot of problems with MP1 and it makes a hobby just to keep it working. I think I went with MP1 was that all I wanted was a replacement for Windows TV player from Win7. I just use the PVR on a PC connected to the TV display. I also need the OTA EPG.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Perhaps I migrate to MP2?
    Unfortunately, MP2 uses the same "TV Server" and "TV Server Config" code as MP1 (although packaged differently, so you cannot mix MP1 with MP2). If the problem with the "Preview" window originates as I suggested, MP2 will have the same limitation.

Unfortunately (again), the MP2 team also have no one who knows anything about "TVServer" or "TV Server Config". I will tag @morpheus_xx in case he wants to comment.

Sakols

Portal Member
    November 21, 2016
    Home Country
    Does anybody have experience with Happague's latest software. WinTV 10. If its reliable, supports a free matrix style EPG, Id give that a try. MediaPortal is really fiddly to get all the parts working right. My EPG is broken (mc2xml) and haven't started working on fixing that part.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Does anybody have experience with Hauppauge's latest software. WinTV 10.
    You will need to install it and try it for yourself. No two people want the same thing from mediacenter applications, and what one person finds very suitable, another may find to be cumbersome and inconvenient to use.

An alternative might be the "NextPvr" application. I have never installed it, but from the screen shots on its web site, it looks to have similar features to MP. It is also free for personal use. Look at its forum to get a feel for the frequency and types of problems that "NextPvr" users encounter.

There is a Wikipedia page that compares many mediacenter applications. I have it bookmarked somewhere, but I now have so many bookmarks I can never find anything, so you will have to find that web page for yourself.

My EPG is broken (mc2xml) and haven't started working on fixing that part.
    In the UK we are blessed with a terrestrial TV system that includes a 7-day EPG as part of the TV datastream. But I think that the USA does not do this?

The recommendation for WMC users is to pay for a "Schedules Direct" subscription, and use the "EPG123" tool to import the downloaded xml file into WMC. This combination is very highly regarded on the Green Button web site. If you still have Windows 7 available, you might consider re-installing it and using WMC with "Schedules Direct" and "EPG123".

"Schedules Direct" can also be used with MP's "TV Server" -- there is a plugin for it. However, the only user who tried it recently could not get it to work. I suspect that he was a computer novice, and was making some fundamental mistake that it was not possible to diagnose over the internet.

The final possibilities would be to buy or rent the DVR available from your TV provider, or buy or rent a Tivo (if that is supported in your area).

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2005
    I'd suggest trying EPG Collector, I've always had a complete guide when using that. For the last few versions of MP I've just had a white window when using channel preview audio works ok though so if I get that I know the channel in live TV will be OK, I don't really take much notice as it doesn't affect playback in any way.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I'd suggest trying EPG Collector,
    As I understand it, "EPG Collector" extracts the EPG from the data included with the TV transmissions. MP already has this built in to "TV Server" (it is what I use). But it won't work in the USA, as the TV transmissions don't include an EPG (at least, I think that that is the case).

For the last few versions of MP I've just had a white window when using channel preview audio works ok though
    Strange. Channel preview in "TV Server" works OK for me for DVB-T/T2 channels. Since we are both in the UK, I would expect it to work for you too (for DVB-T/T2).

audio works ok though so if I get that I know the channel in live TV will be OK, I don't really take much notice as it doesn't affect playback in any way.
    Yes, I agree. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom