[TV] North American Closed Captions (2 Viewers)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Starting with MediaPortal 1.2.0 North American Closed Captions (CC) are officially supported in DVD playback and this feature works great. Thank you very much for this new feature!

Next logical and very important step would be to enable the TV Closed Captions, because TV is the main source of CC enabled contents. I understand the signal is not available in Europe, but I have already uploaded to MP FTP server a few recordings containing closed captions and I am ready to help testing and provide all necessary logs and the feedback to enable this feature. This feature will be greately appreciated by hearing impared and those who live in North America and learn English.

According to Mantis, closed captions were available in 1.1.0 RC 1, but then this feature was disabled because unfortunately it was not meant to be there due to feature freeze: 0002737: Closed Captions (CC) are forced - MediaPortal Bugtracker.

Some previous discussions here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/television-mytv-frontend-tv-server-90/atsc-closed-caption-34929/

CC Graphedit graphs and technical documentation can be found here:

Closed captioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    How Build a Graph
    Viewing Closed Captions (Windows)
    Displaying Closed Captioning in C (Windows)

Thank you very much beforehand!

EDIT : 2011.11.14 from Sebastiii :
    For testing on 1.2.1 Final release, you can find files here : https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/north-american-closed-captions.89487/page-11#post-810333
    Thanks.

Attachments

• CoreCCParser.zip
      31.7 KB
    Last edited by a moderator:

nlucier

Portal Member
    June 8, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I found the new checkbox in the DVD/Images tab but not sure how to actually fire them off in Media Portal itself. I don't see a new CC keystroke in the keyboards list so I assumed it would be a subtitle option, but it doesn't seem to be.

How do I put CC in use for discs/images that only have CC and not subs? Many kids shows are this way.

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'd also be a fan of adding this support to MP... especially if the implementation is similar to what was done with DVD.

Geoff

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I think Deda meant DVD CC, not TV CC.

If somebody is interested, I have placed a few working graphs.

EIA-708 - Digital ATSC works perfectly fine via the graph built and in MP with CoreCC parser in post processing.
    EIA-608 - Analog Line 21 Closed Captions never shows closed captions. I am not sure if they are stripped by MP file reader/writer, or the graphs are incomplete. However I was able to build a graph showing EIA-608 closed captions directly from the tuner (see the attached picture)

Attachments

• working - atsc ts.JPG
      working - atsc ts.JPG
      57.9 KB
    • working - cc from dvd via composit in of tuner.JPG
      working - cc from dvd via composit in of tuner.JPG
      181.1 KB
    • working - DVD CC Graph.jpg
      working - DVD CC Graph.jpg
      65.5 KB
    • working - DVD-vob.JPG
      working - DVD-vob.JPG
      58.7 KB
    • working - dvr-ms.JPG
      working - dvr-ms.JPG
      57.6 KB
    • working cc tuner.JPG
      working cc tuner.JPG
      106.6 KB

Migue

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2006
    Florida
    We've got analog line 21 CC working for TV for 1.2 beta.
    Still looking for getting ATSC CC working, thanks for providing the graphs.

EDIT: I can't seem to find this Core CC Parser anywhere.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Really??? Analog line 21 TV? Am I dreaming or what? :)

Attached please find the Core CC Parser filter and even the source code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cccp. This should unlock your ATSC CC.

Good luck and thank you very much for the great news!!!

:D:D:D

I am very curious how you did it. Can you post your graphs?

Attachments

• Zodiak_CCCP_Closed Captioning_MPEG2_Parser.zip
      106.4 KB

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP doesn't support CC for analog TV as the CC data is not part of the timeshift files or recordings. The reason is simply that the VBI data is not part of the ts.
    There are two ways to get those information into the files:
    1. You have to use an MPEG-2 video encoder which supports the encoding of CC information as well. Unfortunately not all of them support this, including some of the hardware encoders.
    2. We would need to include the CC on our own into the files. This applies also to the teletext information. That's why MP currently doesn't support teletext subtitles for analog TV as well. The main reason is that our currently used is simply not capable of handling those information. It would require a huge rewrite of the filter. Also CC information mostly have to be converted to DVB subtitles in order to get them correctly into the stream. Finally the bit order in the stream has to be changed at least for teletext.

Only when this problem is solved, CC support for analog TV can be added to MP.

MisterD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom