Not all scheduled recordings are shown in EPG (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Since no-one else is reporting this, I would consider the possibility that schedulesdirect is at fault.

Late to the party (been busy): I'm seeing the same problem with the UK DVB over the air EPG. It started a few versions back after caching was added to speed up EPG display. It was a regular problem in 1.2.2, it's worse in 1.2.3.

It only affects display, everything else knows the programmes are scheduled. Altering the start or end padding on an affected programme temporarily gets it marked correctly.

No changes were made to this area in 1.2.3, so I can't see how it can be worse than 1.2.2.

However, if you are able to provide side by side comparisons of 1.2.3 and 1.2.2 with the same data (logs and screenshots) then if something has got worse in 1.2.3 it should be relatively easy to find, which in turn might help finding the general cause.

For me, I have never seen this at all, so we need to know what is triggering it.

If you see this problem, how many recordings do you have scheduled? Maybe it only happens with a lot of schedules.

Do you also use schedulesdirect?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Does schedulesdirect replace any core MP files? I don't want to install it myself just to test, but if you are both using it and seeing the problem, and no-one else is, then you need to report it to the schedulesdirect author.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Does schedulesdirect replace any core MP files? I don't want to install it myself just to test, but if you are both using it and seeing the problem, and no-one else is, then you need to report it to the schedulesdirect author.

Schedules Direct only has 2 dlls in TV-Server plugins. One for Schedules Direct lineup and one to get TVDB Season/episode numbers.

I'm using Schedules Direct. Paul must be using something else.
    Paul Shirley said,
    I'm seeing the same problem with the UK DVB over the air EPG.

Schedules Direct only populates the guide... it seems to be something (not) happening afterwards, after programs are scheduled to record.

I too noticed it in 1.2.2, but not in 1.1.1, and it didn't go away in 1.2.3 as I was hoping.

Last edited:

Paul Shirley

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2008
    No plugins at all, just the built in DVB EPG support on a singleseat setup with mySQL. I only use the front end to set recordings, about 300 series set at the moment, all playback and file management done externally.

This started happening when sql query caching was introduced to speed up the EPG display, whichever build that was - before 1.2.2. Just been happening more consistently in 1.2.3 - until today!

That looks like a clue though: last night I finally killed protected file protection in Comodo Internet Security, which was adding about 18sec delay every time I set a recording, it's too soon to be sure but I've not seen it cock up so far today. Maybe the caching query is just timing out?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    300 series, wow! Maybe that is the common factor. Seems a lot to have at any one time.

Clearly if this was happening for a lot of people, we would have more reports. We just need to identify the common factors.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sorry... don't have quite that many.... closer to 18 series (6 daily, 12 weekly), and not more than 5 regular recordings each week. and the series seasons are pretty much over for the summer.

I have a DSL connection, but it is a slow one at best, with frequent delays.
    Not running any firewall (other than MS) and no anti-virus on the TV-Server

Last edited:

Paul Shirley

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2008
    What I suspect was happening before killing Comodo is a large random latency being added to each SQL query, while Comodo pointlessly scanned for file system changes. In ordinary use that wouldn't be very noticeably but any time MP fires off a lot of queries that could cause problems. I was seeing recordings take 2.8x longer to set and having so many schedules made it take a LONG time (hence easy to time).

If the initial EPG initialisation gets hit the same way would it time out and miss some schedules? The huge schedule list is probably half the problem even though its a beast that should be able to cope.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If anyone knows when/where this caching of EPG was introduced, we could build a version without caching, and check if this changes anything for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom