MP2 - V2.1 Not exiting (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirath

Portal Member
August 2, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Win7 x64; this issue occurs on client-PC where server is on a separate PC.

Background: I had first noticed this problem in a v2 weekly build, which I downloaded in Aug/Sep of 2016, although I only noticed it recently so I'm not sure if it had been occurring the entire time or if it started recently (I think it's more recent, but I could be wrong). I installed the Pre2 version yesterday to see if it would fix the problem.

Description: When I exit MP2, the process remains in Task Manager. I've tried multiple ways to kill the process, but it does not go away until I reboot; and I cannot start a new instance of MP2 (it just doesn't do anything when I try). I saw this thread:
[fixed] - MP2-632: ResourceServer deadlock on shutdown
which is similar, but I'm not sure it's the same bug since I cannot kill the process, nor do I have IIS installed.

In this last case, which you'll see in the attached logs, the TV server wasn't running (the problem occurs even if it is). Further, I watched the process in Task Manager continue to increase in I/O, memory, and threads. The client.log shows repeated deadlock errors for about 20s, which sounds about the amount of time before I hit "end task" at which point, the process remains in Task Manager, but all the stats remain frozen.

If I try to kill the process via command-line, I get this:
>taskkill /f /im mp2-client.exe
ERROR: The process "MP2-Client.exe" with PID 956 could not be terminated.
Reason: There is no running instance of the task.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

[ERROR] - GENAServerController.OnExpirationTimerElapsed: Cannot acquire synchronization lock. Maybe a deadlock happened.
    is also occurring with the old MP2 installation and continues with MP 2.1pre2.

Is this a single seat installation? I am asking because the logs that you provided do not contain any MP2-Server log files. Did you alos upgrade the server installation?

Sirath

Portal Member
    August 2, 2016
    Home Country
    This is a client-only PC; the server is on a separate PC. The server was also upgraded to the same version, but the server wasn't running in yesterday's log (I wanted to see if it was affected by the server or not).

I just tried running MP2 again, this time the server was running. I exited immediately and the same problem occurs.

Log attached. I didn't see any deadlocks in the client.log this time so maybe that's not actually the problem. Although that log from Apr6-7 (ClientError.4.log in this new log) where I must not have "End Task" would suggest otherwise.

Sirath

Portal Member
    August 2, 2016
    Home Country
    Note: log file does not contain debug mode

"how do I exit" -- good question... I may use the 'X' button if in windowed mode or use Alt-F4 in any mode, but I couldn't answer that in hindsight.

I made a new log. Here's the details:
    - MP2 starts in windowed mode (the mode with minimize/restore/close buttons)
    - I closed MP2 clicking the 'X' button in the titlebar at about 12:53p
    - I waited about 1 minute and then "end task" (12:54p)

Ack! I forgot to change the log level. I'll have to reboot and do that. I'll post this message and log in case it's still useful.

Sirath

Portal Member
    August 2, 2016
    Home Country
    Ok, well, I'm not sure that this changed anything. I did the manual method of editing the config file and changing the level to "ALL". Let me know if this log doesn't contain what you were expecting.

btw, I should mention that in the case of this log, the server isn't running any more. I'm not sure if that matters to you or not; it's the same problem either way.

I did the same procedure for this log:
    - Started MP2 (windowed mode) a little before 1:16
    - Pressed the 'X' button at exactly 1:17:00
    - End Task at 1:18:02 (a couple seconds off since it asks me if I'm sure)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I did the manual method of editing the config file and changing the level to "ALL". Let me know if this log doesn't contain what you were expecting.
    Log levels can easily be changed from within the application. Check out the Wiki. The logs that you provided are still in INFO mode.

I should mention that in the case of this log, the server isn't running any more.
    This explains the errors in the log.

- Pressed the 'X' button at exactly 1:17:00
    Have you tried closing the application through the "official" way, i.e. from the menu?

Sirath

Portal Member
    August 2, 2016
    Home Country
    New logs attached.
    - I enabled debug logging during this session, which means they weren't enabled when first starting, but I do see [DEBUG] at the end of the log. If you need the debug from start to finish, I can get it, just remember that I have to reboot each time to clear out the lingering process and that's not always convenient.
    - This time, I exited MP2 using (WMC skin): Settings / shutdown menu / close mediaportal
    - The server was running
    - End Task about a minute after closing

This explains the errors in the log.
    I'm not sure which errors you're referring to. The deadlock/OnExpirationTimerElapsed errors occur whether this client connected to the server or not.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The problem is related to the UPnP GENA server system. GENAServerController synchronization errors are logged several times and in the end the system is in a deadlock situation.

Since these problems are not new on your system and were alreadxy existing with old MP2 installations, I tend to believe the root cause is located somewhere else on your system. Are you running any firewall and/or antivirus solutions? If yes, please try to deactivate them and test again.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello again,

Can you say a few words about your network environment, is there anything non-standard, e.g. local sub-nets or similar? Did you change the standard, automatically generated IP address bindings?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom