Nz epg issues!!! (1 Viewer)

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    EPG Collector Rocks! But a couple of questions...

Oh Wow! I love EPG Collector it just rocks! :D This is going to make it so easy to integrate into XMLTV...

But this puzzles me slightly. firstly I can see 4 U channels so I do just let EPG collect them all or do I need to remove one of them?

Also how often would I need to run EPG collections to maintain a current and update to date EPG. For example does it also collect the next few days or just simply hours?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Andyd

Oh Wow! I love EPG Collector it just rocks! This is going to make it so easy to integrate into XMLTV...
    Indeed it does rock. :D
    I help nzsjb out with testing - such a privilege. :)

But this puzzles me slightly. firstly I can see 4 U channels so I do just let EPG collect them all or do I need to remove one of them?
    Yes, there will probably be four of each TVNZ channel (TV One, TV 2, TVNZ 7 and U). I believe it is caused by the fact that TVNz use regional advertising, so they have a different feed for Auckland, Waikato/Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch. You can absolutely ignore them and let the EPG Collector collect on all of them. Only one "feed" of each channel will actually have data, and the EPG Collector knows how to find the right one...

Also how often would I need to run EPG collections to maintain a current and update to date EPG. For example does it also collect the next few days or just simply hours?
    It collects for 7 (or 8??? Can't remember...) days in total. You can use the scheduler built into Windows to run it late at night/early in the morning/when you turn on your computer etc. You will have to check out the built in help or ask at Geekzone or the EPG Collector support pages to find out what command to run.

Best regards,
    mm

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Andyd

Oh Wow! I love EPG Collector it just rocks! This is going to make it so easy to integrate into XMLTV...
    Indeed it does rock. :D
    I help nzsjb out with testing - such a privilege. :)

Yes, there will probably be four of each TVNZ channel (TV One, TV 2, TVNZ 7 and U). I believe it is caused by the fact that TVNz use regional advertising, so they have a different feed for Auckland, Waikato/Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch. You can absolutely ignore them and let the EPG Collector collect on all of them. Only one "feed" of each channel will actually have data, and the EPG Collector knows how to find the right one...

It collects for 7 (or 8??? Can't remember...) days in total. You can use the scheduler built into Windows to run it late at night/early in the morning/when you turn on your computer etc. You will have to check out the built in help or ask at Geekzone or the EPG Collector support pages to find out what command to run.

Best regards,
    mm

I just run mine each morning around 2:00am via a scheduled job and then get the full 7 days of EPG automagically in 4TR / MP.

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Guys,

Ok got EPG Collector working quote well and it was nice to see MP with a full guide. It was REALLY EASY to get working.

Now I have 2 other questions.

I have to stop TVserver to release the cards from being used. I am assuming that this is normal?

Also how often does XMLTV plugin refresh the EPG? Does it randomly check the date stamps or tvguide.xml size? Or can I force it to reload the guide after the EPG collector has run simply by restarting the TVserver process?

I am writing "the mother of all batch files" to control all aspects for integration into MP and if some stuff is automated then great if I need to do some manual process for the guide to be update then cool I can write that into the scripts...

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have to stop TVserver to release the cards from being used. I am assuming that this is normal?
    No, definetly not.
    I dont stop any service (although the Collector wont run if all the cards are in use).
    Also how often does XMLTV plugin refresh the EPG? Does it randomly check the date stamps or tvguide.xml size? Or can I force it to reload the guide after the EPG collector has run simply by restarting the TVserver process?
    Not sure sorry as I use 4TheRecord. In 4TR as soon as the Collector drops the XML file into the designated folder it all gets updated immediately.
    I am writing "the mother of all batch files" to control all aspects for integration into MP and if some stuff is automated then great if I need to do some manual process for the guide to be update then cool I can write that into the scripts...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again andyd

You need to change a TV Server config option to fix that:

1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Expand the TV Servers node.
    3. Click on your server.
    4. Select your tuner.
    5. Click "edit".
    6. Select "stop graph (more compatible)" instead of pause.
    7. Rinse and repeat for each tuner.
    8. Restart TV Server (will happen automagically if you go to another config section).

The deal with that option is that pause mode is like having the tuner on "ready-to-go-standby" all the time. It *might* give faster tuning at the cost of preventing other software (like the EPG Collector from using the tuner). I say might with great emphasis because it doesn't seem to make any difference for me. Better to have at least one tuner free for other apps I think...

It detects the new file automatically (presumably using timestamps) and imports it. Probably checks once per minute. Plenty fast enough. All you have to worry about is:
    1. Creating the XML file, which is easy peasy with the EPG Collector.
    2. Making sure your XMLTV mappings are correct - also easy.

mm

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks to both of you MM and TheKiwi... Solved my EPG setup quite nicely....

Now what about TV logos for freeview? Has anyone done for NZ EPG yet or can I use collector to grab that info?

Not sure sorry as I use 4TheRecord. In 4TR as soon as the Collector drops the XML file into the designated folder it all gets updated immediately.

Does 4TR support 1.2beta yet checked out the website and it looks awesome but the current release says its for 1.1 of MP....

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Andy

Yes, the collector can be used to grab the logos that are used in the official guide. Tick the "use station logos" option on the output tab. Most people use other logos though to match the software that they use better. Geekzone has at least a couple of collection of logos (here and here... though I'm not sure how up to date they are.

To get them into MediaPortal, place the images into the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\tv\logos folder (if you're still on XP then it is this one C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\tv\logos). They must be named *exactly* the same as your channels (use underscores if any characters in the channel name can't be used in the logo filename).

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom