[Obsolete] MPWebStream: Stream TV over the internet (1 Viewer)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
DieBagger
Handbrake doesn't support transcoding(on the fly) as far as i know. So it was only used to convert the recordings in the first versions.

The used smooth streaming module seems to use ffmpeg ;)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This plugin works really well but I think you can add an option: select the channel groups defined on mediaportal.
    Everytime i load the home page i see every channel of my tv card, I'd like to have the same configuration I use on mediaportal.
    I'll take a look, shouldn't be very hard.
    Another thing is the fullscreen button: doesn't work on chrome (i don't know with other browsers)
    Known bug in VLC 1.1 (with sadly nobody from the VLC team wanting to fix it). You can try to downgrade to VLC 1.0.x (then you loose deinterlacing). I'll add a message to the next version about it.

@DieBagger
    Handbrake doesn't support transcoding(on the fly) as far as i know. So it was only used to convert the recordings in the first versions.

That's correct, a new iPiMP 5.1 installation actually uses ffmpeg to transcode. On my Core2Duo it actually uses a little more CPU then MPWebStream, so the problem is just the transcoder profiles. I'll add some more profiles that use a lot less CPU in the next version ;)

BoelShit

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    How do you guys watch the streams? The only ones I can get to work is the direct one by opening it in the VLC player and the one with the VLC plugin... does the html5 even work for you? Ill attach my logs...

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    How do you guys watch the streams? The only ones I can get to work is the direct one by opening it in the VLC player and the one with the VLC plugin... does the html5 even work for you? Ill attach my logs...
    Nope, the HTML5 doesn't work yet. I should probably have kept it out of the offical release as HTML5 video at all is still quite experimental. The problem is that there are a lot of different video codecs out there (H264, WebM and Theora interesting in this area) and there is now Other problem is that the WebM and Theora encoders are horribly slow. You might have some luck with certain browsers (IE9 and Safari from the top of my head) and the different H264 streams, but I'm not sure it works stable and it's untested.

(I like your nickname ;))

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @DieBagger

Correct - iPiMP only uses ffmpeg now for transcoding media.

Handbrake is deployed with the iPiMPTranscodeToMP4 TV Server plugin which was originally used to stream recordings in iPiMP, this is now no longer used in iPiMP due to the move to Smooth Streaming all media sources (well...not music yet). This TV Server plugin is still in the iPiMP installer but will likely be spun off into it's own maintained project.

The ffmpeg iPiMP uses is also a custom build with support for Fragmented MP4 which is what makes the adaptive bitrate streams possible - where videos can contain multiple video streams of differing bitrates to react to differing bandwidth availability such as in 3G networks.

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is it somehow possible to use this with the Argus TV server (For The Record)?

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is it somehow possible to use this with the Argus TV server (For The Record)?
    Well, the only critical part which interacts with MediaPortal is the TV4Home Core Service, so if that's available you could set it up (though you'll need to do the configuration manually). However, as far as I know there isn't a TV4Home Core Service for ForTheRecord (yet).

The ffmpeg iPiMP uses is also a custom build with support for Fragmented MP4 which is what makes the adaptive bitrate streams possible - where videos can contain multiple video streams of differing bitrates to react to differing bandwidth availability such as in 3G networks.
    Hm, this is interesting. I can't get ffmpeg to produce a MP4 stream, as it wants to write something called a MOOV atom at the beginning of the stream, but actually writes it after it's done with the encoding. Did you solve this or is iOS okay with streams without it?

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hm, this is interesting. I can't get ffmpeg to produce a MP4 stream, as it wants to write something called a MOOV atom at the beginning of the stream, but actually writes it after it's done with the encoding. Did you solve this or is iOS okay with streams without it?

The CodeShop Fragmented MP4 muxer writes the MOOV atom at the begining of the stream.

BoelShit

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Too bad for the HTML5 I could have used that a lot already (iPhone/iPad and on the browsers). It's not working on both the browsers you suggested. Any chance that will be soon? ;)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Too bad for the HTML5 I could have used that a lot already (iPhone/iPad and on the browsers). It's not working on both the browsers you suggested. Any chance that will be soon? ;)
    Well, HTML5 streaming is a big problem. Take this table:
    • Firefox 4+, Opera 10.60+ and Chrome 6+ support WebM. The problem is that the WebM encoder is terribly slow and more or less unusable for live streaming. It's even worse then the H264 encoders: a video on 320x240 needs like 70% of a Core2Duo.
    • Safari and IE9 support H264 video, but only in an MP4 container. The problem here is that MP4 and live streaming aren't a very good combination: ffmpeg wants to write an header at the start of the file, which it can only compute at the end of the streaming. There are other streaming solutions available that do this correct (like cheezey pointed out above), but I haven't found one that I can integrate correctly.
    • I've no idea what iOS devices support, but it's probably H264 in a MP4 container, so we have the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom