'Oh go on, one more go...', introducing My Tetris (1 Viewer)

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Read the previous post moments before I started making a bunch of changes that would prevent the plugin from running without a change to GUIControlFactory (devs, have placed this patch on SF, it's purpose is to allow plugins to register their own controls with the factory).

I somehow managed to forget to add the files to the zip that I uploaded :oops::

http://www.netpoint-it.co.uk/lee/mp/mytetris.zip

Tetris is addictive, every time I make a change and run MP to see how its worked out... 15+ minutes gone in a flash!

You now need to have the following in strings.xml:

<string>
<id>19001</id>
<value>My Tetris</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19002</id>
<value>New Game</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19003</id>
<value>Music</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19004</id>
<value>Sounds</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19005</id>
<value>Score:</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19006</id>
<value>Lines:</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19007</id>
<value>Level:</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19008</id>
<value>Hiscore:</value>
</string>

trojkolka

Portal Pro
December 24, 2004
The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Ok new version looks great especially the music on/off sounds on/off allthough those functions dont seem to work here but the background and everything is badly placed on my screen to let you see what's wrong i made a screenshot for you.

tetris.jpg

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Am getting close to completing the first release of My Tetris. There are a few jobs still to be done but it's mostly at the tidying up stage.

Visually things haven't changed very much but the inners have. Here's what the plugin looks like now (and pretty much as I intend to release it, minus a few color tweaks and the game board boundaries):

mytetris.png

Still need to move the next block to the lower portion of the scoreboard too.

Fullscreen will come in a later build as will a community high score.

And finally, slightly OT, how long do your MCE 2005 remotes go on average before a battery change? Mine is less than a month old and is now on it's 2nd set... normal or is this due to My Tetris increasing the remote's usage?

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Sorry for the delay guys, have been struggling to find the time needed to complete My Tetris. Here's another build... note that it'll only work with MP 0.1.0.4 or later. You can download it from:

Changes
======

Sound now works but I still haven't heard back from the guy that I got the files from so I can't redistrubute them yet. To use your own files for the time being, you'll need:

skin\mce\sounds\MyTetris.Knock.wav (played when a block is dropped or lands)

skin\mce\sounds\MyTetris.Line.wav (played when a line is completed)

skin\mce\sounds\MyTetris.Block.wav (played when a block of 4 lines is completed)

skin\mce\sounds\MyTetris.Level.wav (played when you progress to a new level).

The blocks are now circles, this is experimental but I feel that the blocks are easier on the eye, especially when playing on a TV.

Colors have been tweaked to be more in keeping with the MCE skin but they still need work. The next version will allow the block colours to be specified in the plugins mytetris.xml skin file (blockcolor1, or blockcolorT, blockcolorL etc).

The following strings need to be added/modified in strings.xml:

<string><id>19001</id><value>My Tetris</value></string>
<string><id>19002</id><value>New Game</value></string>
<string><id>19003</id><value>Music</value></string>
<string><id>19004</id><value>Sounds</value></string>
<string><id>19005</id><value>Score</value></string>
<string><id>19006</id><value>Level</value></string>
<string><id>19007</id><value>Lines</value></string>
<string><id>19008</id><value>Highscore</value></string>
<string><id>19009</id><value>Next</value></string>
<string><id>19010</id><value>Press or click to start...</value></string>
<string><id>19011</id><value>Paused</value></string>
<string><id>19012</id><value>Game Over</value></string>

Plus more...

Issues
====

Music doesn't play, no big deal to play an MP3 but I don't want it to interfere with MP's music in anyway so I'm saving this one until last.

Scaling isn't implemented correctly yet. Looks fine in 1024x768 windowed mode and on my TV (720x576) but the blocks aren't drawn in the correct position when maximized to 1600x1200 on my flat panel.

Sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.

Thanks,
Lee.

A

Anonymous

Really nice project, if you need any help creating some graphics for this let me know (some nice blocks for the tetris cubes, a suiting backgound etc).

You also mentioned a virtual keyboard and I was interested in what you meant since I made some graphics for a new keyboard in mp that I could send you if you like. Aaaanyhow let me know if you need anything =)

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Thanks for the offer, a nice set of blocks for the hover image on the home page would be much appreciated. The blocks themselves too.

As to the virtual keyboard, took a look at it again yesterday as it happens. I've PM'd you with my e-mail address.

Cheers,
Lee.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
There is an updated build at:

This build includes sounds, which we now have permission to redistribute. I still have to fix the next block placement, draw some guides at the edges or the actual playing area and music still isn't done. Scaling should work okay now, feedback would be appreciated regarding this issue.

A big thanks to Samsonite too, he's created some stunning gem like blocks for us, in addition to a hover image for the home menu.

As before, MP 0.1.0.4 or later is required due to the plugins use of GUIControlFactory.RegisterControl (which doesn't exist prior to 0.1.0.4).

Cheers,
Lee.

* edit *

Have had to pull the sounds from the zip file (little bit of confusion regarding the permission to redistrubute and who has the right to grant this :( ). Hopefully we'll have permission by the end of today.

Guides are now in place.

* edit *

Sounds are back in the zip file, we have permission from the creator to distribute the sounds and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom