'Oh go on, one more go...', introducing My Tetris (1 Viewer)

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Finally finished the first full version of My Tetris, the plugin currently looks as follows:

mytetris.png

The plugin can be downloaded here. I will zip the source in a bit and will upload to SF.

I've dropped support for music from this version, since the Tetris MP3 that I have is 3mb and I really don't see it as essential to game play.

For future versions:

Community scoreboard.
Setup screen within MP (enable cheats, community scoreboard etc).
Optimize rendering code, if necessary.
Full screen mode.
Migrate from My Tetris to My Arcade and host other small retro style games (Chucky Egg, Pacman etc would be sweet).

Enjoy.

*edit *

The source has been added to MP's patches section on SF.

A

Anonymous

My Pacman

Now all I need is 'My Pacman' that can be played with the remote. HEY! can this one be played with the remote :?:

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
samedney: Nah, you didn't take the last bit of bandwidth, I hope????

b01: My Tetris is remote friendly. As with the rest of MP, it's MCE remote friendly out of the box and since the game is based around the cursor keys (and Enter/Return to drop), it should work as is with any remote that can navigate MP and select items and menu options. Hopefully My Pacman will happen.

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Smirnoff said:
    Tetris is addictive, every time I make a change and run MP to see how its worked out... 15+ minutes gone in a flash!

Hehe, now I know what you mean ;-) Just wanted to install it "quick" on the HTPC today and ended up playing more than half an hour ;-)

GREAT job you have done there! I'm really looking forward to more nice stuff from you.

Maschine

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Glad you like it. I'm looking forward to contributing more stuff too, got loads of ideas and not just game related (kinda strange that I chose to write a game, as a rule I hate computer games).

Waltz

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2004
    Kiel, Germany
    Great game, that's for sure - but I keep on putting the Tetris blocks in the wrong columns; I'd really appreciate some lines which help to navigate the blocks correctly.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    The quickest way for you to get this feature would be to modify the background graphic of the tetris control:

\skin\mce\media\tetris\background.png
    \skin\mce\media\tetris\background_focus.png

The blocks are 23 x 22 IIRC so drawing a grid with the same spacing centered on the above images would give you the desired effect, a small row of ticks or whatever. Looking at the images, they seem rather large (114Kb and 113kb) so they should be redone, perhaps I'll play around with some extra guides and so on and make them optional.

As to high scores, I'll try and write a php page over the weekend to handle a community scoreboard. I'm thinking that a very simple thing like:

http://www.somewhere.com/scoreboard...is&name=Someone&score=8912&level=10&lines=127

and

http://www.somewhere.com/scoreboard.php?action=get&game=tetris

Will store the top 10 scores in a flat file per game. Highscores will only be submitted if they exceed 7000 points (in the 7000s means that you're at level 10 and only an incredibly friendly sequence of blocks will see people going far beyond this score IMO) and if the score is higher than the previous highscore. Users will be prompted and have the option to completely disable checking the community highscore and or submitting it (e.g. Never, Ask, Always etc).

Suggestions welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom