'Oh go on, one more go...', introducing My Tetris (1 Viewer)

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Hi all -

Here's a sneak preview of My Tetris. The game logic appears to be rock solid (lots of hours wasted playing over the weekend using the same implementation in a test app), I have sounds and music but am awaiting permission to distrubute them with the plugin and the 'board' isn't positioned properly but it's definately playable!!! The next block is also not being shown at the moment.

Here's a screenshot:

mytetris_pre.png

The final version will have two checkbox buttons beneath 'New Game', one controlling music playback, the other controlling sound effects.

I would really like to be able to come up with enough variations of the blues & grays used in the MCE skin for use on the blocks rather than use traditional coloured ones. Not sure if there would be enough of a distinction between them then though. Either way, I intend to implement skinning of the board and blocks.

The game code is based upon a Managed C++ version that can be found at http://www.codeproject.com/managedcpp/Tetris3D.asp but being a DirectX noob I was unable to render the blocks as per donor app within MP (no problem in my test app).

The controls are pretty simple so I'll leave you to figure them out for yourself. Hitting the back button pauses the game, there is currently no way to resume, other than starting a new game. Works nicely with the MCE remote and I guess any other that can navigate the MP. Cursor keys for the rest of you I'm afraid!!!

Any skin or block design suggestions will be most welcome.

The plugin (binary) can be downloaded from here:

http://www.netpoint-it.co.uk/lee/mp/mytetris.zip

The zip file contains the skin and relevant images for the file but does not contain a strings.xml, the following need to be added to your strings.xml:

<string>
<id>19001</id>
<value>My Tetris</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19002</id>
<value>New Game</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19003</id>
<value>Score:</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19004</id>
<value>Lines:</value>
</string>
<string>
<id>19005</id>
<value>Level:</value>
</string>

The source code will be made available with the first release.

Enjoy,
Lee.

PS Oh yeah, it is a whole lot more fun with the sounds so I'll try and get this sorted ASAP.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    good one!

how about a game of snake ?
    (the long snake grabbing dots and getting bigger and bigger)

I think we will add this to CVS if code etc is good.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Allways loved Tetris.
    Consider to add a background. Otherwise you can´t be sure it is playable on all skins.

tomtom21000

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    I've promised my girlfriend that I'll do Space Invaders next and still need to finish the skinnable virtual keyboard that I started working on. My Torrents is on hold while I find an alternative to SgmlReader for scraping the data from the relevant search engines (SgmlReader is copyrighted by M$) and figure out a nice and flexible way to specify how data is scraped. Plus the closing down of suprnova.org has left me still searching for a quality alternative so some of the incentive has gone on this one for the time being.

Also, to wet your appetites a bit further, I've also got a plugin called My Splatt. The idea behind My Splatt is that you set MP to have the TV or video playing in the background, choose My Splatt and then site back while you go about splatting celebs and stuff. All very childish and in desperate need of a wireless lightgun. All that I intend to do to this particular plugin in the near future is to fade the splatt on and off the screen. Once I find a suitable light gun I'll add support for it and hopefully move on to a duck shooting type thing too.

The binary for My Splatt can be found at:

http://www.netpoint-it.co.uk/lee/mp/mysplatt.zip

The following needs to be added to strings.xml:

<string>
    <id>19401</id>
    <value>My Splatt</value>
    </string>

I apologise to those of you have a Tetris problem, like me! Yesterday literally disappeared as a result of my g/f and I playing this.

Agree with you regarding the background.

Cheers,
    Lee.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Smirnoff,

Nice work!

What about making one plugin for Java games? (MyJava)
    There are plenty of free Java games around (with source code).
    The ability to play these in a nice plugin with a full screen option would be kewl... what do ya think?

DMAN

lugiber

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2004
    Sweden
    Cool! This game is hypnotic, i have just spent two hours playing it.
    How about putting a square around " the playable area" where you put the blocks. This would make it easier to see how much room there is left on the right/left side of the blocks you have already placed. (Hope you understand what i mean).
    It would also be nice to be able to directly move the blocks to the bottom of the screen by pressing the down button.

/Peter

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    I would put a quick fix for resuming a game in place but I've already started on putting the 'board' into a control rather than drawing it directly on the screen as it is doing now (i.e. it's rendering at the plugin level rather than as a control as per every other thing you see on the screen in MP).

The border is most definately needed, I've gotten used to it now but it just doesn't look quite right without one in addition to being necessary for proper game play.

I forgot to mention that hitting 1 thu 9 on the keyboard or MCE remote will jump you to that level (until the next complete line is formed and then it reverts to the correct level). This is for testing purposes only and may not be available in the next build. I can just about cope with a few minutes at level 7 so far.

I'll look into the down issue, that said, it works fine for me.

Can anyone remember Chuckie Egg? Now that's a game I'd love to have in MP.

* edit *

A new build is available with a stinking dirty resume hack, press 0 on the remote or keyboard:

http://www.netpoint-it.co.uk/lee/mp/mytetris.zip

The block size has also been changed from 24x24 to 18x18 in this particular build so you should once again have the benefit of seeing the next block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom