PC waking itself and TV Server not working after standby (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I don't think there could be anything broadcasting Magic Packets and UPNP is disabled on my router, but if it still wakes up tomorrow I'll try disabling WOL on my NIC to see if it's anything to do with that.

Yes, I'm using DVB EPG and I had both CRC check and Grab When Idle ticked, so I've unticked those now and will test again. I'd prefer to use Grab When Idle so that the EPG's always up-to-date even if I don't watch/record TV for a while, but I doubt it will be a major problem if I have to keep that disabled as I watch TV most days. I'll be more concerned if I have to disable this on the HTPC I'm building for my brother, as I can see him using his Freeview box for much of his viewing, which means when he goes to use MP the EPG will be empty!

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Well it's improved somewhat, in that there's far fewer errors in the tvserver_error.log, but still TV doesn't work after resuming (until I restart the TVservice) and it shows xception ":TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to start graph" in the log each time I try.

The remote is working after resuming today, so that's better as well. I still see "2011-12-08 06:32:49.397138 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: StartHCW failed. Exception is: Object reference not set to an instance of an object." in the error.log though.

As for the waking-up problem, it's still doing that!

powercfg -lastwake shows:

Code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Fixed Feature
    System Woke Up to Doze to S4

and powercfg -waketimers shows:

Code:
There are no active wake timers in the system.

I can see from MediaPortal.log that I suspended at 04:32, it woke at 06:32:30, tried to suspend at 06:32:45 but seems to have failed as it says it woke at 06:32:49 and it doesn't show when it next went to standby but it woke again at 10:54:36.

I think the wake event at 06:32 was it going from standby to hibernate, so maybe if I disable hibernate I'll be able to test whether it stays in standby OK.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If you are on Windows 7 you can workaround this issue by automatically having Windows restart the TVService service. Its not a fix but it might make the problem go away...
    Use Task Scheduler to perform an action at a specific event, the event is resuming from standby (look in eventlog for how it logs and what to trigger on) and the action should be a batchfile that simple do a "net stop TVService" and then a "net start TVService".

If you are on XP you can do about the same thing but a bit more complicated using eventtriggers.

Like I said, it's not a fix it might be a workaround.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Problem with waking up: What do you have set in Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Sleep -> Hibernate After?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    If you are on Windows 7 you can workaround this issue by automatically having Windows restart the TVService service. Its not a fix but it might make the problem go away...
    Use Task Scheduler to perform an action at a specific event, the event is resuming from standby (look in eventlog for how it logs and what to trigger on) and the action should be a batchfile that simple do a "net stop TVService" and then a "net start TVService".

If you are on XP you can do about the same thing but a bit more complicated using eventtriggers.

Like I said, it's not a fix it might be a workaround.

I'm on Win7, so I'll give that a try until a fix can be found :)

Problem with waking up: What do you have set in Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Sleep -> Hibernate After?

It was on 120 minutes, but I've disabled it now to see if the PC stays asleep tonight.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, I've had a chance to let the PC auto-suspend, which looks to have happened at 16:15 (I was out) and then I resumed it at 16:35.

The remote was not working again and when I closed MP HCWHelper crashed. After restarting MP, the remote was working and TV worked OK (I didn't test before restarting MP, but before I had to restart TVService anyway), so perhaps the bug only appears after hibernating. I'll leave it in standby for longer tonight to see what happens.

Any ideas how to fix the Remote problem and stop HCWHelper crashing?

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I just tried standby again and this time TV did stop working, so it's not just Hibernate. I'll give 4Fred's workaround a try. HCWhelper didn't crash on closing MP this time, but the remote didn't work in MP either (other than the directional buttons).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi doveman

I just tried standby again and this time TV did stop working, so it's not just Hibernate.
    You are battling problems with a tuner (Nova-T) that has known driver problems with sleep/resume. It doesn't matter what kind of sleep (hibernate or standby etc.) you use. I think it is unrealistic to expect things to work without problems, *especially* when you don't restart the TV Server on resume. Some tuners need that. If I were you I would think very seriously about looking for a different tuner.

mm

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi doveman

I just tried standby again and this time TV did stop working, so it's not just Hibernate.
    You are battling problems with a tuner (Nova-T) that has known driver problems with sleep/resume. It doesn't matter what kind of sleep (hibernate or standby etc.) you use. I think it is unrealistic to expect things to work without problems, *especially* when you don't restart the TV Server on resume. Some tuners need that. If I were you I would think very seriously about looking for a different tuner.

mm

It's strange because I knew there were issues with it (I experienced them myself) with this tuner and standby on XP, but didn't think it was an issue with Win7. In fact, I don't think I had any such problems under Win7 with my old motherboard (Biostar), although I was only using Hibernate on that as Standby didn't work when the FSB was overclocked and it only seems to have started happening since I upgraded to my MSI board.

Anyway, if restarting the TVservice on resume is necessary I'll just do that. I'm not going to buy a new tuner until this one breaks ;)

Hmm, not really sure what event to trigger the task on.

I thought it was System_Kernel-General EventID 1 (that's the only thing that shows in the logs after resuming, apart from services starting and that could happen at other times), but this is just it updating the time and it does at random times and not just after resuming.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

It's strange because I knew there were issues with it (I experienced them myself) with this tuner and standby on XP, but didn't think it was an issue with Win7. In fact, I don't think I had any such problems under Win7 with my old motherboard (Biostar), although I was only using Hibernate on that as Standby didn't work when the FSB was overclocked and it only seems to have started happening since I upgraded to my MSI board.
    Bad hardware is bad hardware. Issues may vary from OS to OS and mobo to mobo due to driver and other environmental differences but honestly I still would never recommend that card to anyone. If you choose to put up with it then that is your choice I guess...

Hmm, not really sure what event to trigger the task on.
    Are you talking about how to trigger a TV Server restart on resume? There is an option within Powerscheduler++ for that - advanced tab, "reinitialise service on wakeup".

Configuration - MediaPortal Wiki

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom