Play DVD - blank screen (1 Viewer)

craigparris1

Portal Pro
May 20, 2008
Home Country
Hi Taipan,

I'm pretty sure I've seen others mention the utility you're talking about. I guess I can give that a try. I did install ffdshow last night, but that didn't have any effect on the troublesome DVDs (still blank screen). I'm going to try setting up my remote this weekend, and there's supposed a utility for my remote (a Leadtek CoolCommand) that maps remote buttons to keystrokes, but also to controls (ie. play/pause/stop/close, etc.) in Windows Media Player. If that's the case, then I may be able to use Media Player as my external DVD player, since it has no problems playing any of the DVDs.

Thanks for everybody's help so far, though ...... I guessed I was going to be up for a lot of fiddling around once I started to try and get MediaPortal working .....

Cheers,
Craig

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    unless other people have suggestions of how they get around this sort of problem????

It sounds like you need to install a utility that removes the copy protection (on the fly) from the DVD stream. Unfortunately, the MP forum rules forbid me from mentioning, or including links to, suitable utilities - but "Google is your friend" ... ;)

No links - thats right. But you can say AnyDVD if you want ;)

I'll PM you a link to the private section.

craigparris1

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi all,

Thanks for the info. Over the weekend, I installed PowerDVD Ultra 7 and now all DVDs are playing OK (except for some navigation issues - but others have reported similar problems). Anyhow, I'll stick with the PDVD codecs for now and hopefully someone will come up with a solution for the navigation problems.

Cheers,
    Craig

rickd

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2007
    Same issue here

I have the same issue with blank screen on some dvd's I am on vista 32...seems to be on copies on my usb drive
    I get Blank screen plays ok in powerdvd 8.0

I have anydvd installed so it is not copy protection and all backups are done via anydvd so have copy protection removed...I am going to move some dvd and see if that might be the issue.

the_mouse

May 22, 2008
    I have been having the same issue. I have found that if the screen is blank but i can hear the audio sometimes pressing D for dvd menu will bring it up then it plays fine. Definitely seems to be a navigation issue

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have been having the same issue. I have found that if the screen is blank but i can hear the audio sometimes pressing D for dvd menu will bring it up then it plays fine. Definitely seems to be a navigation issue

Are you using corresponding DVD navigator and MPEG2 decoder?

canachi

Portal Member
    August 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I tried several times playing the VOB file from My Videos and My TV Series and both show a black screen.

The stange thing is all external media players like Nero and WMP dont have problems.

I have the same problem.

I'm using AnyDVD, so copy protection is NOT the problem. MP plays Divx no problem. I already tried every posible codec configuration.

Can any of the Masters of MediaPortal PLEASE give us a definitive answer to resolve this issue?

THANKS.

psykoman

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    To bring up this thread again, I also have some big DVD problems. Tried original DVD Navigator & nvidia Navigator in combination with DScaler, ffdshow, MPV, nVidia PureVideo.
    Sometimes DVDs play, but stuck somewhere, somtimes DVDs won't even load the menu. I've experienced this problem since updating to 1.0.0.0 RC2, never had DVD problems beofore (used nVidia navigator + nVidia PureVideo). WMP11 works fine with PureVideo and Dscaler.
    I can't post my logfiles because I'm away from my HTPC for 2 weeks, but since there a some others mentioning similar problems, somebody else could post his logfiles?

ChriZ

Portal Pro
    March 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I was battling with this problem as well, some DVDs just produced black screen with sound in MP. I changed the codec to Nero DVD Decoder, and that solved the issue... just a word up for anyone else having this issue...

/Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom