Playback of Recorded TV stops randomly

Discussion in 'Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server)' started by astronaut, May 26, 2014.

1. astronaut

astronaut Portal Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Hi,

For quite a long time, an error is occurring in my MediaPortal setup (server/client). When I watch recorded TV from my Server (on WHS2011), playback stops sometimes. The stops do not seem to have a pattern. All other media is played correctly, only live TV sometimes stutters or hangs for a couple of seconds.

An error that I found in the logs is the following:
    Code (Text):
    1. [2014-05-26 22:47:40,328] [Log    ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (IsAnyCardRecording) The operation has timed out after 3000.
    Is this part of my problem? How can I find out what is going on?

Thanks,

Astronaut

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sounds like network issues.
    Do you have a wired network?
    Does your server have a static/fixed IP address?

[edit: ... but when exactly did the problem last occur (date + time, accurate to the closest 10 seconds if possible)? It looks like the recording you were playing at around 22:47 just got to the end, and so playback stopped:
    ]

4. astronaut

astronaut Portal Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    My network consists of AVM powerline adapters. My server did not have a static IP adress, but is having one now, I will see if that changes anything. However, if the issue is network related, why did I never experience problems while playing huge HD video files over the network? Are TV recordings more sensitive to network problems?

The last time the issue occured was indeed yesterday (2014-05-26) around 22:47:30: I started a playback, watched it until it stopped by itself, than pressed stop on the remote button (accidentally), then closed MediaPortal. The issue occured a couple of times earlier that evening. The recorded file seems to be o.k., if I manually fast forward to the same scene in the recording where it stopped, the error is not reproducable.

One other observation: If I restart the TV recording after this issue, the frame where it stopped is not saved - I have to manually fast forward to that scene. Perhaps that means that MP really thinks that the recording is at its end?

5. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The issue is probably not the peak bandwidth, but the consistency of the network connection. Buffering strategy varies from splitter to splitter and software to software. If the buffer is too small it won't protect you from the ups and downs of the network connection.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!