Playback of Recorded TV stops randomly (1 Viewer)

astronaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

For quite a long time, an error is occurring in my MediaPortal setup (server/client). When I watch recorded TV from my Server (on WHS2011), playback stops sometimes. The stops do not seem to have a pattern. All other media is played correctly, only live TV sometimes stutters or hangs for a couple of seconds.

An error that I found in the logs is the following:
    Code:
    [2014-05-26 22:47:40,328] [Log    ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (IsAnyCardRecording) The operation has timed out after 3000.

Is this part of my problem? How can I find out what is going on?

Thanks,

Astronaut

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sounds like network issues.
    Do you have a wired network?
    Does your server have a static/fixed IP address?

[edit: ... but when exactly did the problem last occur (date + time, accurate to the closest 10 seconds if possible)? It looks like the recording you were playing at around 22:47 just got to the end, and so playback stopped:
    [2014-05-26 22:47:34,981] [ cca1fe8] [ dcc] - demux:endoffile
    ]

astronaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My network consists of AVM powerline adapters. My server did not have a static IP adress, but is having one now, I will see if that changes anything. However, if the issue is network related, why did I never experience problems while playing huge HD video files over the network? Are TV recordings more sensitive to network problems?

The last time the issue occured was indeed yesterday (2014-05-26) around 22:47:30: I started a playback, watched it until it stopped by itself, than pressed stop on the remote button (accidentally), then closed MediaPortal. The issue occured a couple of times earlier that evening. The recorded file seems to be o.k., if I manually fast forward to the same scene in the recording where it stopped, the error is not reproducable.

One other observation: If I restart the TV recording after this issue, the frame where it stopped is not saved - I have to manually fast forward to that scene. Perhaps that means that MP really thinks that the recording is at its end?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    However, if the issue is network related, why did I never experience problems while playing huge HD video files over the network? Are TV recordings more sensitive to network problems?
    The issue is probably not the peak bandwidth, but the consistency of the network connection. Buffering strategy varies from splitter to splitter and software to software. If the buffer is too small it won't protect you from the ups and downs of the network connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom