Playing DVD's from the HDD (2 Viewers)

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
Hopefully got the right forum.

How does Media Portal react to playing DVD's from the HDD. I have spent a large amount of time backing up my entire DVD collection to HDD via DVD shrink, and now have the ability to watch anything I want without having to go find the damn disc.

What I need to know though is whether media portal will be able to open these movies? DVD shrink generates the a movie folder, with 2 subfolders for audio & video. Within each folder are many different files. Will just clicking on the main movie folder be enough to start media portal playing it? Or will I be better off writting something like a batch file that open the correct file?

fpouels

Portal Member
April 16, 2005
Bennekom
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Yes, media portal will play these dvd's from the hard disk just by selecting the main movie folder. No need for batch files at all.

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
fpouels said:
Yes, media portal will play these dvd's from the hard disk just by selecting the main movie folder. No need for batch files at all.

Excellent! Are you using the same method then? I was worried media portal wouldn't be able to look into the sub folders, never mind find the correct file within those subfolders.

m0rt

Portal Pro
November 29, 2005
Bolton, UK
Home Country
England England
Never tried this before so I gave it a whirl last night. Backed up a DVD and selected the movie folder. The DVD started playing!

Only problem I had was in the language selection screen of the DVD. It gives you two options (Spanish or English). Ordinarily you would use the cursor buttons on the DVD remote till the correct language is highlighted and press Select. Unfortunately I couldn't get MP to highlight either option using my keyboard/remote cursor keys. Using the mouse didn't help either.

Anyone have any ideas?

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
I don't backup the full DVD, instead I reauthor the DVD & only backup the actual movie file (no menus). This should mean that I just select the movie fodler & the movie will instantly start playing :D

Now I just need to transfer all 74 movies from my external HDD to my HTPC setup.

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
fpouels said:
That's exactly what I'm doing. But only for the movies for my kids, these movies are watched over and over again :)

What about the DVD covers? Are you downloading these manually? Have you tried using the movie database plugin yet that automatically downloads information about the movie (at least thats what I think it does)?

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
Do you not just have to make sure you name the folder the dvd files are backed into is correct for the film? Then browse to see the folder and press F3 to lookup?

thinksnow

January 29, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This is what I've got going on, too. My 1TB RAID in the basement streams movies on demand. :)

As for the images, I was going through, right-clicking every folder, and selecting the IMDB option. Later, I realized that I could just copy images to the main movie folder and name them "folder.jpg", which does the trick much more quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom