Please delete my account (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
June 27, 2005
I am no longer a fan of Media Portal as I am returning my TV Card. Therefore, please delete my jackelectronics account.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Huh - No longer a fan :lol:

What's wrong with your card? What card?

As far as I can tell you have only had one post. Did you ask for help?

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No that was his first post - we'll leave the account open - he'll be back :wink:

DMAN

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    I only bought this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5211635147&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1 and the bundled software just kept crashing as many people here has said http://www.tv-cards.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=9145&highlight=lifeview+duo+crashes

There are far too many defects in the software, including the UI design. Some include when you set a timer record, it's hard to click to the right channel because the left right button keeps moving and also, the minutes, hours, second don't roll back to zero after 24 hours, 59 minutes. When I did do timer record, it never woke my computer out of standby or it just stood there doing nothing missing my favorite programs.

Also, it won't recognise my analogue tuner, s-video or composite inputs. I might as well get a DVD recorder instead because I am now returning my TV card.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    I bought this card primarily for recording broadcasts in the original MPEG 2 format because I already have a standalone set-top box on my TV right next to my PC but is attached to a crappy outdated VHS recorder. Although my camcorder is DV, it of course has no timer record on it.

If I do record, there is a lot of work to do to back it up onto DV tape or stick it on a DVD. I then have to convert DVR-MS to MPEG-2 and then run PVAStrumento to correct errors in the stream, which doesn't always work.

If I do archive onto DVD, I then have to run IfoEdit and create even more big files and finally after all this work, I can burn the recordings. If I do archive onto DV camcorder tape, I then have to run AviSynth and then VirtualDub before finally transferring it back onto tape.

A DVD recorder is just one touch of a button and none of this hard work.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    perhaps u are unaware but MediaPortal is still a Beta application...far from perfect...the dev guys are working hard at making this a complete HTPC solution

however from posts on tv-cards forum...a few people are having difficulties with the same card

perhaps there is an issue with your tv card/PC/OS/hardware/drivers...the list could go on and on

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    and the bundled software just kept crashing

Just to be sure... the above comments regarding UI design issues etc, are these aimed at MP or the bundled software as the above excerpt would suggest?

Any feedback you have regarding MP will be noted, whether it be good or bad so please feel free to expand on any additional issues you have and perhaps we can suggest a solution - but as dman said, you'll be back!

And people please remember, MP is currently at version pre-0.1.3.0, we've got a long way to go before the application leaves the beta phase.

Cheers,
    Smirnoff.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    There is a hell of a lot to explain what I find wrong with Media Portal so therefore I will be posting a lot in the same forum.

I also wanted Media Portal to record as a Windows service in the background, even when not loggged in because others use my computer. When you play DVD and video clips, the big progress bar appears to be a seek bar but doesn't work.

The aspect ratio always 1.78:1 on digital television in normal mode, even for non widescreen 1.33:1 broadcasts and therefore distorted. Therefore I always have to switch aspect ratios manually.

Camcorder DV files are not deinterlaced when in VMR mode and therefore left as a weave.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    Smirnoff said:
    and the bundled software just kept crashing

Just to be sure... the above comments regarding UI design issues etc, are these aimed at MP or the bundled software as the above excerpt would suggest?

Any feedback you have regarding MP will be noted, whether it be good or bad so please feel free to expand on any additional issues you have and perhaps we can suggest a solution - but as dman said, you'll be back!

And people please remember, MP is currently at version pre-0.1.3.0, we've got a long way to go before the application leaves the beta phase.

Cheers,
    Smirnoff.

The bundled software is LifeView DTV and just kept crashing when you click almost every button. I am generally very impatient and get fed up waiting for software releases or overreact. I do not want to buy additional softare such as ShowShifter because I want to spend the least money on computers this year.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    Alternatively, I tried using GraphEdit to make a very simple application as shown at http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/install:capturecards:start?s=graphedit where I attach audio and video renderers to the end. When I click play, I just get a black window because there's no way you can tune the card. None of the filters have pin properties, etc.

I was about to develop my own Digital TV application but I just don't have the time and don't have enough programming experience. I am also fed up of downloading massive Microsoft SDK's.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread