Please help me to stop this tearing+a couple of other issues (1 Viewer)

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Taipan said:
I am not sure how you do it with your nVidia card

For nVidia, the setting is (in drivers v77.72) Performance & Quality Settings -> View: Advanced Settings -> Scroll in the list to Vertical Sync. Highlight the entry, and de-select "Application controlled"checkbox, so that you can set the slider manually to "on" ( to force always on). (I will try to link a graphic).

Taipan, I have set this and also managed to use the nVidia drivers to set refresh to 50Hz, but I'm doing all this remotely, so won't be able to test until I get home. I'll keep people updated (when I used powerstrip previously, that was with an ATI9550 card).[/img]

slayer

Portal Member
August 7, 2005
Sydney
Just another quick update been watching tv for the past 30mins with mediaportal in overlay mode (same nvidia codecs, drivers etc) and I havn't noticed any of this tearing. The quality doesn't seem as good as the vmr though so it does appear as though theres something being set off in vmr causing the problem?

one more thing I'm noticing is my tv keeps going into standby mode :( is there a setting I'm missing that enables me to turn the power management off. I've tried ticking and unticking the screensaver option in fullscreen in the general setting section

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I have managed to set my desktop refresh rate to 50Hz. The Nvidia graphics drivers are much more stable at doing this than when I used ATI Radeon card + Powerstrip.

The tearing is only visible in Live TV (I am using the "!" function and looking at the moving vertical white bar). Playback of recorded TV, movies, DVD and timeshifted TV do not exhibit the tearing.

I tried both the latest (official) nVidia PureVideo codec with Hardware Acc, and also the builtin mpeg2dec codec witgh "blend" de-interlacing.

And still, nVidia PureVideo drops frames while mpeg2dec does not!

slayer - is the standby caused by Windows? ie your computer's power management settings?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    slayer said:
    ...been watching tv for the past 30mins with mediaportal in overlay mode and I haven't noticed any of this tearing.
    The quality doesn't seem as good as the vmr though so it does appear as though there's something being set off in vmr causing the problem?
    Have a look at this article on tearing - are you running MediaPortal in full-screen mode with VMR9 renderless?

Artman

Portal Member
    February 7, 2005
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    I've been watching this topic with great interest because I also dislike the quality of Live-TV when watching a soccer match or a movie with fast motion and/or panning.
    I've been trying to fix this for a while now but haven't found any solutions till now. I searched at many places and there I found out that people who are running MCE 2005 have the same problem; tearing occurs on TV.
    Here is a topic about the same sort of problem but then for MCE. The solution in MCE 2005 is a registry change but now I'm very curious if there's such a setting for MediaPortal.

I also think problem is when you choose clone mode and primary display is your monitor and secondary your TV you cannot choose 50 Hz for TV. This is only possible when primary is TV and secondary is monitor and as I did this I saw a dramatically improvement of Live TV on my TV screen. But this doesn't work for me because I want my monitor as primary display.

Hope there will be a solution eventually because from that moment I will throw my TV-RC away and only use the RC of my pc when watching TV :wink: !

slayer

Portal Member
    August 7, 2005
    Sydney
    vbap yeah mate it would be the windows monitor standby settings which I would prefer to leave on as when it's sitting at the windows desktop I would rather it goes into standby, I'm just a little unsure why MP isn't overriding this setting like dntvlive has been.

Taipan yeah that was one of the 1st articles I went through as far as I can tell I have every setting set up to possibly remove tearing. I havn't noticed any tearing in theatertek at this stage but havn't tested it half as much as mediaportal. I did also watch two xvid movies the past couple of nights with no such problems but I beleive they are displayed in overlay and use ffdshow?

Settings are

6600gt 1280*720@60hz (50hz didn't help and hurts my eyes) 77.76 forceware drivers
    VSYNC On
    VMR9 Renderless
    Exclusive DX Mode
    Start in Fullscreen
    Tried a number of codecs but mainly Nvidia Purevideo
    No problems in overlay other than the picture looking inferior

thanks again

vbap

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Taipan said:
    Have a look at this article on tearing - are you running MediaPortal in full-screen mode with VMR9 renderless?

Hi Taipan, I surfed quitea bit yesterday on tearing, and saw Fullscreen Exclusive VMR9 mentioned a lot. I definitely have this setting turned on, LCD refresh rate set to 50Hx, Nvidia graphics card v-Synch set to On, hardware acc. in Nvidia codec, all the recommended de-interlace settings, etc - just can't get rid of tearing white vertical line on the ! test in LiveTV. I'm not sure if the ! is the best test, but otherwise I have to wait for footy to come on TV so I can do a proper test (no foxtel here, just the basic FTA channels).

I read an interesting 2-year-old article from Microsoft on synchronising video/audio, and since my problem seems to be with Live, streaming TV it would suggest a timing issue with the broadcast signal. Or maybe even a probelm with my DVB-T tuner (fusion lite?).

My next options are:
    - Rolling back Dvico drivers to 3.0RC1
    - Replacing quartz.dll with the version from DX9.0b (saw this mentioned on a lot of sites, and it is an issue reconginsed by MS with KB article 885354))
    - Using Reclock

I'll keep people posted.

All this "research" is making me learn about SD vs HD TV resolutions, de-interlace vs progressive, yadayadayada - too much - I just wanna see the Crows win more footy matches... :lol:

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    vbap said:
    I'm not sure if the ! is the best test
    No, I am not sure that the shift+! is a good test, either.

You should be able to see this tearing, if it exists, on any vertical line (like the corner of a wall, the edge of a door, etc) when the image pans hoizontally. You don't have to wait for the footy, although that is probably a good excuse (to watch the footy)... :D

Also, what interface connection are you using from your video card to your LCD display? DVI, VGA, or component? I am guessing here, but this may effect how your LCD display image is updated. Unlike CRT TVs, LCDs are not scanned to create each frame.

vbap

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Also, what interface connection are you using
    I am using DVI, which leads me to another thing to try:
    Connect via VGA

I'm just surprised that the vertical bar "tears" only during LiveTV playback. When I watch the footy, then the tearing was evident on the broadcast picture too. It is not really evident in other shows (but maybe I don't pay as much attention to them as football).

My test recordings of the footy do not show tearing (either the footy itself or the vertical bar in the ! test).

Oh well, a lot more "testing" to do ("p*ss f*rting" around according to the missus :cry: )

slayer

Portal Member
    August 7, 2005
    Sydney
    you mean you havn't worked it out yet vbap? common mate speed it up a little :p

I don't need to wait for the footy I get the tearing on every show without fail and if not that I get it on the ads. I did give the ! a shot though to see what it did and as suspected the white line looks as though it's segmented into 5 different sections.

I'm using vga to a crt tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom