Please make "loading.." splash-screen optional (1 Viewer)

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Come on! This thread should be closed! Can't see anything bitchy, btw.

klestor

Portal Member
March 26, 2005
:idea: MP needs a windows XP/2K boot screen, something similar to the splash screen...maybe tiny bit of animation

Just for those dedicated MP boxes out there.... :)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Well there is already quite nice replacement bootscreens for XP but something to cover up the desktop while MP is loading would be cool. I tried putting the MP homescreen as the desktop to kinda cover it up but that was a bad idea because people dont realise its not loaded and keep pressing buttons :shock:

Can stop the desktop loading but I need it there because it runs a lot of programs in the background that need explorer to be running.

X

xenon2000

if it's not a problem or a big deal, then why complain.

If it's not a problem or a big deal, then why complain.

Seems there is nothing wrong with this feature request. It's just a request. If it comes to pass, great. If not, then nothing wrong with people continuing to request it.

As for morals, feelings, etc... of the dev team. I don't see why this feature request thread has become some kind of attack. It's just a feature request. I wouldn't mind seeing this feature become an option in MP. But it's also just a feature request, so if it doesn't come to pass, no big deal either. If the dev team wants to say that they don't feel like adding this feature, let them say so. Otherwise, you either support the feature or you think it's a lame feature.

But I don't see why people have to put words in the dev team's mouth. Again, it's just a Feature Request and it's in the right section of the forum. So let it be just that, a request. Either it eventually comes to pass, or it doesn't, no big deal in posting just a request.

Amazing that it has become some moral issue.

MonteGoulding

Portal Member
    April 24, 2005
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Hi

How about some kind of compromise. A fullscreen animated skinnable splash screen??? There could be an area on it that is dedicated to what the dev's want there and the rest could be given whatever animated look you wanted. It could also take over fullscreen asap after Windows starts.

All this would require is the splash screen detecting the size of a background image and resizing to fit. Stick the current content on a translucent area and your set.

Sound reasonable?

Cheers

Monte

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    mpattonm said:
    Now thats what I call bitchy :x

You have brought nothing positive to this thread except your own opinion and trying to force it upon others.

If the developers don't want to put in an option to disable the splashscreen (I hope they don't), whining and bitching about it isn't going to help.

Build a bridge and get over it! If a simple splashscreen is the deciding factor as to whether or not you use a program, perhaps you should take a look at 95% of the software out there which also has some sort of splashscreen.

It's truly pathetic the way some people behave when their ideas get rejected or someone disagrees with them. :roll:

Autoper

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2005
    Stavanger, Norway
    I understand why some people want to get rid of the standard splash screen. I want it to go away to.
    But: I want to replace it with a fullscreen splash to make the boot of my computer look a little bit more tidy. I dont want no splash at all, but an option for us building a dedicated HTPC system using all options to get the system as tidy and good looking as possible.

Regards

jf2020

Portal Member
    January 9, 2005
    htpcNoob said:
    This is NOT a commerial app. Out of respect to the developers who toil for hours and give out their application for free (as well as the source code) a 5 second splash screen while loading MP really isnt asking for too much.

As i mentioned, the source code is available for free. If you want to take out the splash screen, you can download the source, modify the code and compile it. But lets give credit where credit is due.h

Kind of amazing how this thread about a simple feature is going and how we put words in the mouth of the developpers. For me the request is not to remove credit to the superb job that is put in this app (BTW there's no "credits" displayed on the current splash screen or I have not seen them) nor it is to remove the splash screen by itself (as the application will always need some time to initialize by loading all the needed stuff, some kind of progress indicator is needed).
    So I think that the idea (like someone said above) could be to make it skinnable so that it can be changed to match the background of the skin to be used, giving a nice continuity during the boot process (especially for peole like me that have replaced the standard XP bootscreen by a Mediaportal one). The exact same information as the one currently displayed would still be displayed (including the logo).

Autoper

Portal Pro
    January 24, 2005
    Stavanger, Norway
    jf2020 said:
    htpcNoob said:
    This is NOT a commerial app. Out of respect to the developers who toil for hours and give out their application for free (as well as the source code) a 5 second splash screen while loading MP really isnt asking for too much.

As i mentioned, the source code is available for free. If you want to take out the splash screen, you can download the source, modify the code and compile it. But lets give credit where credit is due.h

Kind of amazing how this thread about a simple feature is going and how we put words in the mouth of the developpers. For me the request is not to remove credit to the superb job that is put in this app (BTW there's no "credits" displayed on the current splash screen or I have not seen them) nor it is to remove the splash screen by itself (as the application will always need some time to initialize by loading all the needed stuff, some kind of progress indicator is needed).
    So I think that the idea (like someone said above) could be to make it skinnable so that it can be changed to match the background of the skin to be used, giving a nice continuity during the boot process (especially for peole like me that have replaced the standard XP bootscreen by a Mediaportal one). The exact same information as the one currently displayed would still be displayed (including the logo).

Exactly what I ment :D

I would like something like a desaturated picture from the MP main menu with a progressbar and MP info in front. Fast fading to a saturated picture from the MP main menu at the end of the loading time :D

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread