Plugin Ideas (1 Viewer)

jmhecker

Portal Member
January 8, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question or not, but I need an idea.

I am finally getting back into the programming scene, and would like to start development on a plugin for MP, but after looking at what has been done, all my ideas are taken.

Does anyone have any ideas as to something they would like to see as a plugin for MP that hasn't been done yet?

Toss as many ideas out as you can think of...the more ideas I get, the more options I will have to choose from.

Again, I am not sure if this is posted in the wrong place or not. If it is, the mods are free to move it to the appropriate location.

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
May 12, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'd like to have an audiobook plugin. like tv-series or moving pictures but for audiobooks. with covers, infos... and resume.

jmhecker

Portal Member
January 8, 2009
Home Country
As I have no experience with audio books whatsoever, can you give me any details (or point me to a place that has details) on them? IE: Formatting, databases (is there an IMDB type thing for audio books?)

What is their formatting? Standard MP3s? With or without DRM? etc...any information that can be posted would be beneficial

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    MediaPortal playlist editor

Options like:
    1. Merge current playlist into saved playlist (select this, and all your saved playlists will be listed) -> confirmation "Are you sure?" yes/no -> save playlist as new yes/no

2. Edit playlist : re-arrange by artists | re-arrange by album | re-arrange by genre | re-arrange by play time (this will change the sorting descending, choose a "re-arrange" again to sort ascending)

When the list is re-arranged by artists the context menu will show options like "remove all entries by this artist" "keep only this artist". When playlist is in re-arranged by genre view you'd get "remove all entries from this genre", "keep only entries from this genre".

:D
    Emph

jmhecker

Portal Member
    January 8, 2009
    Home Country
    When you say MSN plugin, what are you wanting this plugin to accomplish?

For starters, I assume you mean a plugin that will interact with MSN Messenger?

If so, do you want it simpily to announce new messages to you, or give the On Screen Keyboard so you can reply as well? What exactly is it you want the plugin to do?

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As I have no experience with audio books whatsoever, can you give me any details (or point me to a place that has details) on them? IE: Formatting, databases (is there an IMDB type thing for audio books?)

What is their formatting? Standard MP3s? With or without DRM? etc...any information that can be posted would be beneficial

I use mp3s or audio-cds. managed like "normal music".
    I didn't find a imdb equivalent. at least no international. amazon should be ok. or id3 tags.

there are special formats, e.g. from audible.de, these do have drm. i think itunes has his own format to.

I would be happy, if mp3s and cds were supported. infos from id3s. covers from folders.
    what really is important, is the resume function. and a listened flag.

Working MSN plugin
    a messenger plugin with video support is a great idea, too. there are some efforts with skype, but here video is a problem...

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    When you say MSN plugin, what are you wanting this plugin to accomplish?

For starters, I assume you mean a plugin that will interact with MSN Messenger?

If so, do you want it simpily to announce new messages to you, or give the On Screen Keyboard so you can reply as well? What exactly is it you want the plugin to do?
    Correct, Windows Live Messenger to be exact. In the mini version, I should be able to receive messages from my contact, and reply to those. If possible also to start conversation.. To have the complete orgasm, the video chat functionality would help :)
    I utlize msn everywhere I am, so the natural extension would be my Media machine to communicate with the people without the need of closing down MP and starting up MSN.
    Ideally it should be a plugin to MSN itself, so I could utilize the newest MSN protocol (allowing for multiple logins from several locations at the same time).

Edit: Found the MSN communication library http://code.google.com/p/msnp-sharp/ :)

jmhecker

Portal Member
    January 8, 2009
    Home Country
    You said initially that it should be a plugin to MSN, but with this library that you linked to, that would not be required, and the MSN client could be basically, wrote from scratch (yay, that actually sounds fun), and implemented into MP.

Now, lets say that the MSN one is the one I am going to tackle...It would need to run at all times that MP is running...The config side would be simple (ask for a user/pass, and perhaps proxy information)

But, having windows pop up with new messages while you are watching a movie could get to be a bit annoying, covering up the movie you are watching, etc....what ideas do you have for the messages window?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom