[Plugin] X10 Home Automation (2 Viewers)

bodiroga

Portal Pro
January 1, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
@bodiroga,
I just posted a new version of the server install (on the first post of this thread.) Could you do me a favor and install it and see if you can get your devices to work with your CM11?

After the install go to the config and click on Install Windows Services. After that, go to Administrator->Services and see if you see two X10 Services. X10 Device Network & X10 Home Automation Server. Check to make sure both are running. If not start the Device Network first, then the X10 Home Automation Server second.

Im interested to see if that will work for you... (Im trying to get it to work with the CM11 so you dont have to purchase new hardware...)

Thanks for your work WileE, I will try the new version of the plugin on friday because the CM11 is on my parents house and now I'm on my "studying" house. The problem is that, as I told you a few days ago, Windows 7 doesn't recognize the CM11 and it's driver, so I have to use XP mode to run it. Do I have to install then Mediaportal and your plugin on the Virtual XP? I don't know if that will work, but we will see.

Keep up with the good job and congratulations,

Aitor

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for your work WileE, I will try the new version of the plugin on friday because the CM11 is on my parents house and now I'm on my "studying" house. The problem is that, as I told you a few days ago, Windows 7 doesn't recognize the CM11 and it's driver, so I have to use XP mode to run it. Do I have to install then Mediaportal and your plugin on the Virtual XP? I don't know if that will work, but we will see.

Keep up with the good job and congratulations,

Aitor

Thanks Aitor,
    Yes, it should install on the Virtual XP.

I think I disovered a way to run this plugin without having AHP installed. As long as the controller is configured (CM11 or CM15A) with the devices and their addresses, this plugin should be able to communicate to the controller and control the devices.

I have tried this on a media server at home and it worked like a charm. I am hoping that it will work for you as well.

bodiroga

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thanks Aitor,
    Yes, it should install on the Virtual XP.

I think I disovered a way to run this plugin without having AHP installed. As long as the controller is configured (CM11 or CM15A) with the devices and their addresses, this plugin should be able to communicate to the controller and control the devices.

I have tried this on a media server at home and it worked like a charm. I am hoping that it will work for you as well.

Ok, thanks for your work WileE, I will try it.

But... then I will have to open mediaportal from the Virtual XP and there all the programs work worse than in Windows 7. Please, don't missunderstand me, I really-really apreciate your work and your efford to make your plugin compatible with the CM11, but as long as I use Windows 7 in my computer, I think that this is not a working solution for me. I have only two solutions: buy a CM controller that works with Windows 7 (CM15) or change the OS, and the last one is stupid because I have paid for the original license of 7. Anyway, if your plugin works with CM11 will be great, because anybody with this controller and Windows XP will be able to use your plugin. Am I the only one here with this controller interested on using this plugin? I can't believe it.

Thanks again for your work WileE and I promise you that this weekend I will try your plugin in the Virtual XP ;)

Regards,

Aitor

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Ok, thanks for your work WileE, I will try it.

But... then I will have to open mediaportal from the Virtual XP and there all the programs work worse than in Windows 7. Please, don't missunderstand me, I really-really apreciate your work and your efford to make your plugin compatible with the CM11, but as long as I use Windows 7 in my computer, I think that this is not a working solution for me. I have only two solutions: buy a CM controller that works with Windows 7 (CM15) or change the OS, and the last one is stupid because I have paid for the original license of 7. Anyway, if your plugin works with CM11 will be great, because anybody with this controller and Windows XP will be able to use your plugin. Am I the only one here with this controller interested on using this plugin? I can't believe it.

Thanks again for your work WileE and I promise you that this weekend I will try your plugin in the Virtual XP ;)

Regards,

Aitor

No worries, I just stumbled onto this solution while making install scripts. So I understand...

BTW, I noticed the CM15 is down to around $50 US dollars now... ;)

bodiroga

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    BTW, I noticed the CM15 is down to around $50 US dollars now... ;)

Lucky american people, here (in Europe) the X10 system is less integrated than in USA so the prices are much more expensive. The CM15, for example, costs (more or less) 90€ --> 110$ :mad:, and the same for the rest of the products. You can tell me: "well, why don't you buy the CM15 here in USA and ship it to Europe", but the problem is that in Europe we have 220V and you have 110V, so the controller won't work.

And that's all :p

TheGlassjaw

Portal Member
    May 8, 2009
    Home Country
    I'm having a hard time grasping all the different info in this thread. Would someone be able to sum up for me what hardware would be compatible with this plugin to get dimming lights with MediaPortal. Currently I have a client machine that runs MediaPortal and a file server that is on 24/7 which houses my movie collection, but doesn't have tv-server running on it since it's an xp-64bit os (not supported by MP). I guess I would need to install the module in the client machine in my den?

morgan53

Portal Member
    December 18, 2007
    Hi, first Id like to thank WileE for the great work you do. I'm using several of your plugins and they are working great.

I found this thread today and I believe I have read that there is two parts to this plugin, a server and client. I see the server, is there a client yet? I've got a small x10 setup with activehome running on a computer seperate from my MP computer and would love to see this plugin work.

So if you need help testing i'll be glad to help.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    I'm having a hard time grasping all the different info in this thread. Would someone be able to sum up for me what hardware would be compatible with this plugin to get dimming lights with MediaPortal. Currently I have a client machine that runs MediaPortal and a file server that is on 24/7 which houses my movie collection, but doesn't have tv-server running on it since it's an xp-64bit os (not supported by MP). I guess I would need to install the module in the client machine in my den?

Hey GlassJaw,
    Yea, this plugin has taken a few different directions since inception, and could be confusing. I have been working (albeit slowly) to get this plugin to a stable version before the next release. As soon as a stable version is published I will provide instructions. So far the equipment I am using is as follows:

- (1) X10 CM15A - Controller
    - (6) Insteon 2466DW ToggleLinc Dimmer (I use these because they are the only switches I could find that are two way)
    - (1) SignaLinc Repeater 3-Wire Dryer (To repeat the signal across both phases of my house wiring)
    - (3) X10 15A Split Receptacle Module (Very loud operation, beware)

This is the equipment I use for all my testing and is 100% compatible with the plugin. I am trying to finalize some changes with a few other plugins, then I will get back to this one (hopefully soon.)

Thanks,
    Wile E.

Hi, first Id like to thank WileE for the great work you do. I'm using several of your plugins and they are working great.

I found this thread today and I believe I have read that there is two parts to this plugin, a server and client. I see the server, is there a client yet? I've got a small x10 setup with activehome running on a computer seperate from my MP computer and would love to see this plugin work.

So if you need help testing i'll be glad to help.

Hey Morgan,
    You can see the status of the plugin on my post above. I have had a few testers checking things out for me, but I have not had much time since the hollidays to do much work on the client piece. I will soon continue developement and I would be happy to include you in the test group.

Thanks,
    Wile E.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Update...

Okay guys, I think I finally have some time to spend on this project. My other plugins are nearing final release, so I will be free to continue development here...

I have been doing some research on other plugins like this one, and most use the command line to make it compatible with more equipment. I have been stuck on using API's in the past, but as long as the command line commands are the same (or similar) across the equipment types, I think I may back up a little and see if this is a better alternative. The last thing I want folks to do is purchase new equipment when the existing equipment works good.

Sooooo, please post what equipment you are using (X10 only) and the associated software so I can do some more research on compatiblity.

Thanks,
    Wile E.

bodiroga,
    When you installed the software for your CM11, did it install a file called ahcmd.exe?

@All with firecracker setups,
    Do you have a file called ahcmd.exe included with the software install?

If so, I would like to create a script for you guys to try, to see if it works with your ahcmd.exe.

Thanks!

bodiroga

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Nice to hear that you are going to work again in this plugin, thanks WileE!

@bodiroga,
    When you installed the software for your CM11, did it install a file called ahcmd.exe?

I can't remember if the ActiveHome software installs that file, and now I'm not at home to make any test, but I can install this in my other PC and see what happens (I won't go home until next weekend, sorry :( ).

Those are the modules that I use until I buy the CM15 controller and some micromodules for the lights:

2x Marmitek AW12 (used for controling the electic heating of the house)
    1x Marmitek CM11 using the USB controller.

For the lights I will buy those unidirectional modules.

And that's all. Do you have these modules in the USA? Are them compatible with your plugin?

I hope that someone with the CM11 controller and Windows XP will appear to help you with the CM11 compatibility develpment, because with my CM11 y W7 combination I'm not going to be a good tester (VirtualXP mode, drivers issues,... you know). I will buy the CM15 controller as soon as possible to help you with the plugin development.

Many thanks for all your work and effort!

Regards,

Aitor

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom