Pop-up error message generated for certain MKV files with UTF-8 subtitles (1 Viewer)

damaster

Portal Pro
November 23, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
TV-Server Version: RC2
MediaPortal Version: RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Aeon
Windows Version: Windows Vista
CPU Type: AMD X2 6400+
HDD: WD SE16 500GB
Memory: 2GB DDR2 800
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.7
Sound Card: Realtek Digital Audio
Sound Card AC3: Realtek Digital Audio
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-S Plus
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
MPEG2 Video Codec: CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 7
MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3Filter
h.264 Video Codec: MPCVideoDecoder v1.1.604.0
HTPC Case: nMedia 200BA
Cooling: Zalman CNPS8700NT
Power Supply: Corsair 450VX
Remote: Home Theater Master MX-700
TV: Toshiba 50H82
TV - HTPC Connection: Component

For certain MKV videos containing UTF-8 subtitle streams, the attached pop-up error message is generated if DirectVobSub (VsFilter) is not installed OR if Haali Media Splitter is configured to not auto-load DirectVobSub (VsFilter).

The string of the error message is: "A decoder for the new track could not be found. Track type: SRT/UTF-8" and the title of the pop-up window is "Mkx".

Attachments

• SubtitleUTF8-Error.png
    SubtitleUTF8-Error.png
    3.3 KB

damaster

Portal Pro
November 23, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
Patch!

Attached here is a fix for this pop-up error message for RC2 (rev 19706). It is a patch to Core.dll to not attempt enabling the subtitle stream. This eliminates the pop-up error message entirely if DirectVobSub (VsFilter) is not installed nor auto-loaded.

This does not break subtitles, because subtitles will still work if Haali Media Splitter is set to auto-load DirectVobSub (VsFilter).

Can one of the devs please have a look and consider putting this in the next SVN?

damaster

Portal Pro
November 23, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
Fantastic! :D
I'll try it out as soon as I can! Will this also be fixed in RC3?

Not sure, I haven't gotten any feedback from the devs on this issue and whether my fix is even the right thing to do for everyone. It's definitely the right fix for all those who want to be able to do hardware acceleration in MP and don't need to load subtitles through the DirectVobSub filter (which subsequently kills hardware acceleration).

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well, when it's not picked up by the devs I just use your patch and see if I can get my Saw 4 and Pirates of the Caribbean x264 blurayrips going again in MP! :)

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Attached here is a fix for this pop-up error message for RC2 (rev 19706). It is a patch to Core.dll to not attempt enabling the subtitle stream. This eliminates the pop-up error message entirely if DirectVobSub (VsFilter) is not installed nor auto-loaded.

This does not break subtitles, because subtitles will still work if Haali Media Splitter is set to auto-load DirectVobSub (VsFilter).

Can one of the devs please have a look and consider putting this in the next SVN?

So what you're saying is that with this fix installed, subtitles are never enabled? But after that statement you say subtiltles will work with VS-filter set to auto-load :confused:
Could you explain this a bit more?

I'd love to get rid of ALL subtitles, I never use them. I wish it was never made possible to implement it in x264 files :confused:

ronzelver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 13, 2008
    Sittard
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is it possible to create the same patch for RC3/current SVN?!

Forget about it, I solved my problem (with the SRT/UTF-8 error dialog) by enabling the DirectVobSub (Autoloading) filter in Movies->Postprocessing filters. I simply forgot to enable it back when I upgraded to RC3 :oops:

Ron

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Forget about it, I solved my problem (with the SRT/UTF-8 error dialog) by enabling the DirectVobSub (Autoloading) filter in Movies->Postprocessing filters. I simply forgot to enable it back when I upgraded to RC3 :oops:

Ron

Be aware that by doing this you have broken your hardware acceleration if your system was set up to use hardware decoding for your videos.

ronzelver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 13, 2008
    Sittard
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Ron

Be aware that by doing this you have broken your hardware acceleration if your system was set up to use hardware decoding for your videos.

OK, didn't think about that :(
    Do you have a patch for the current RC3 SVN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom