Porting the TV server to Linux (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overture

Portal Pro
January 3, 2006
Bangor
Home Country
sorry for my ignorance on this matter but is there a Mediaportal Web Client??

[XStream]

Portal Member
August 14, 2006
Behind you... scared?
Oh yes, they just released the beta of the regular system everyone's been bugging them about for half a year but they took the time out of their busy schedule to write a rtsp compatible client in java for running in a browser. :-P

No, i wouldnt think so. My guess is that if anything is going web, an interface for scheduling recordings is the first out.

[XStream]

Portal Member
August 14, 2006
Behind you... scared?
Come to think of it, i didnt actually mean that everything should be streamed from the server. Just everything that originates from there. So not dvd for example.
Would guess that dvd is a fairly simple thing to integrate on linux though, there are at least a few dvd decoders available and for other plugins, linux compatible versions would have to be built but if a plugin you really want isnt available then windows client would still be a choice.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Oh yes, they just released the beta of the regular system everyone's been bugging them about for half a year but they took the time out of their busy schedule to write a rtsp compatible client in java for running in a browser. :-P

No, i wouldnt think so. My guess is that if anything is going web, an interface for scheduling recordings is the first out.

mmm... interesting suggestion. I might try this out over the summer hols (I'm in aust) and let you guys know how it goes - I'm thinking of using a flash app to wrap the media player so it works on all platforms. Does flash support RTSP?

Let's not debate this here - don't want to hijack the thread - just answer yes or no if you know the answer to my question (or PM me) and then bring this thread back on track.

Sam

leo212

Portal Pro
November 30, 2005
I really miss the point of this discussion
If you want a tvserver under linux then simply download mythTv and use that

but I love the MP Client!
I just don't like the bad performance when recording or watching tv timeshift mode.
If the MP Client was able to "talk" with the mythtv server - that was perfect.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't see bad performance... Are you using a software card?

Would guess that dvd is a fairly simple thing to integrate on linux though, there are at least a few dvd decoders available
    Please take into account that most MP people come from europe and there is NO possibility to legally watch DVD with Linux!

leo212

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2005
    I don't see bad performance... Are you using a software card?

Would guess that dvd is a fairly simple thing to integrate on linux though, there are at least a few dvd decoders available
    Please take into account that most MP people come from europe and there is NO possibility to legally watch DVD with Linux!

I've P2.4 and my cpu runs at 100% when watching TV or recording. (PVR-150 card)
    in mythtv - i sucessed to record and watch TV on a SOFTWARE card with less then 80% CPU.

about the DVD - I cannot understand - why europe pepole cannot see DVD with linux mplayer. but anyway - the TV Server shouldn't handle with DVD - that's the client's work, am I right?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've P2.4 and my cpu runs at 100% when watching TV or recording. (PVR-150 card)
    in mythtv - i sucessed to record and watch TV on a SOFTWARE card with less then 80% CPU.
    Doing 2 records at once I get < 10%..

about the DVD - I cannot understand - why europe pepole cannot see DVD with linux mplayer.

mplayer has to use w32codecs und l i b d e c s s 2 . The former has licensing issues whereas the latter is completely illegal here.

leo212

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2005
    I've P2.4 and my cpu runs at 100% when watching TV or recording.
    Should be around 30% max. Maybe your gfx card is not DX9? Or you're running on secondary screen?

Running on secondary screen. what is the different?

Anyway, if the performance is not an issue, so this thread (porting to Linux) is meanless.
    Only the advantages of pure open-source software is not worth the amount of work needed to convert it.

What are the hardware requirements from the MP-Client, after the TV Engine was separated? Is an old P3 can run it?
    Maybe the right issue should be – how to make the client so thin, so it could run on cheap machines….

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom