possible info on freeze problem (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

The team have pointed out to me that you have not produced any full debug level logs for this problem. These will help us work out why this is failing, now you have shown us where it is failing.

Could you please produce debug level logs (see here MediaPortal Forum - Announcements in Forum : Bugreports for more information) of the situation where this is working, and where it is failing. Ideally these would be with the same recording so that any differences would be more obvious.

We do rely on the community for problems such as this, where most of the team cannot reproduce them. I will also try to reproduce the problem again and obtain debug logs, but I rebooted my server this morning so it might be a while before I see the problem.

Best wishes,

Mark

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I didn't expect a solution in a week, but I thought it was reasonable to expect an acknowledgment that there is a problem. You've done that.
    It's harder to go back to that situation now, as the computer is now in daily use in the living room -- not here in my office. It's working fine with the daily reboot that I mentioned.

But I'll see what I can do. I'm busy all day today - so probably tomorrow.

Cal

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    I discovered that having both 'Restart MP on resume' and "Log verbosity: Debug' set at the same time produces the attached Unhandled Exception every time MP resumes from standby.
    Thus I could not reproduce exactly the problem under discussion, because as stated above, I had 'Restart MP on resume' set when the problem was occurring.

Maybe this tells us something? Or actually, a couple of things.

So I ran MP as before (except no 'Restart on resume' so I could try to get debug logs) for 4 days, recording 3 sets of overlapping TV programs throughout the day - going on standby between recordings.

The problem did not re-occur.

Maybe this reinforces a hint that 'Restart MP on resume' is involved in, or exacerbates, the original 'MP apparently freezes after periods on standby - but actually some communication between MP and TVserver is lost' problem. Perhaps a race condition?

I will monitor this thread, if there is anything else (reasonable) that I can do.
    However, I intended to go back to using this MP HTPC for everyday use -- thus it's not trivial to run some test protocol.

Is the Development team not able to see any problem in the logs that I did provide?

Cal

Attachments

• Exception.JPG
      Exception.JPG
      152.1 KB

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Here are the logs when the exception occurred.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.zip
      16.8 KB
    • streaming server.zip
      10.5 KB

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

I think I have managed to produce good logs of the original problem. The team are looking into this, so hopefully we will be able to find a solution.

Mark

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Can you try changing the power saving settings for your hard drive to not go to sleep mode for a long time? This seems to help me.

Mark

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Sorry, no. As I said, my HTPC goes on S3 standby after 3 minutes of no activity. Leaving the computer powered up would be an unacceptable 'solution'.
    Rebooting once per day (automatically at 5:00 am) has avoided the problem -- so far.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I am really struggling to find out why it seems that only the two of us are seeing this problem.

I am starting to suspect network issues, but everything else seems to be working okay.

Do you have your timeshift and recordings folders in the default locations, or have you moved them?

Mark

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Well, I certainly don't have network problems. My MP setup is all on one machine, and we have 4 computers plus a solar array monitor on our LAN, with no problems.

I moved my TV recording folder as you suggested some time back.

I tried setting the auto reboot to once a week with the HTPC in normal (ie, fewer recordings every day), and sure enough after 3 days it got the same old problem.

Cal

btw, I'm going camping for 7 to 10 days starting tomorrow morning --

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

I think I have made progress. I was using ffdshow as an audio decoder. If I change this to MPC or Microsoft decoders, things work much better.

Do you also use ffdshow? If so, what version?

I have tried to look at your logs, but they are very incomplete. I guess you are not using the MP log collector as advised to collect logs. I know that if you resume from suspect that you cannot set debug level logs, but presumably there is nothing stopping you from restarting your client computer from cold and getting the logs that are needed.

Either way, I can't tell what audio decoder you are using, so I can only report my own experiences.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom