PowerDVD 10 cannot playback DVD's stored on the harddrive (1 Viewer)

In2Photos

Portal Member
September 5, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TMT3 seems to have an issue with sound in its trial version. No sound when playing DVD from HD. No matter what DVD, golden oldies, new ones.

TMT3 Gold usd 60, Platinum USD 80, is an expensive gamble.... ;)

I asked for my money back from PDVD. Installed TMT3 trial version and all is well.

Oh .. why TMT3 and not -say- WinDVD ?

Just curious to know...
cause I am puzzling : back to PDVD9 or WinDVD Pro 2010..?

I have no issues at all with TMT3. I chose it because of what I read about it being pretty good.

mpwul

Portal Member
March 30, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
As said, trial version won't produce audio. This is for Dolby. Most DVDs are Dolby. You have to figure out which one isn't Dolby ..

jedney

Portal Member
October 30, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Finally after 12 days, I get a response. Another stock standard request with questionable relevance to my problem. Not very unimpressed! I'm supprised they haven't had other reports of this.

The Video tab works fine for me and can playback DVD's from the harddrive. It's just the Command Line functionality which doesn't work for me (which is a bit of a show stopper when integrating it Media Portal!)

-------------------------------------------

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand that you want this case to be escalated to the Engineering team to check for expected bug regarding playback of .INF file.

Please send me the following information, So that, I can escalate this case to the Engineering team for further analysis:

1). DxDiag.txt log file

DxDiag.txt: You can use the steps that follow to create this file:

1. Start --> All Programs --> Accessories -->Run (Windows Vista)
2. Type in DxDiag and press Enter or click OK, this will open the DirectX diagnostic tool.
3. Click on the Save All Information Button (save this file to your windows desktop and name it DxDiag.txt).

2). CollectUserInfo.cab : Steps to generate "CollectUserInfo.cab":

Note: Make sure you logged in as an "Administrator".

Step 1:

Download the tool and double click CLCollectUserInfo.zip (given below) to unzip files. The winzip will create the folder name, CLCollectUserInfo.

Tool Download:

http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/trial/pdvd/tool/CLCollectUserInfo.zip

Step 2:

Select the folder, CLCollectUserInfo, and double click "CollectUserInfo.exe"

Step3:

Click on "Collect" button.

Step 4:

Once the process finish, click the "Cancel "button to close the program.

Step 5:

Provide send "CollectUserInfo.cab" to us. (The CollectUserInfo.cab will be stored on "CLCollectUserInfo" folder).

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

CyberLink Company Information

Thanks and Regards

Tanmay

CyberLink Technical Support

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Finally after 12 days, I get a response. Another stock standard request with questionable relevance to my problem. Not very unimpressed! I'm supprised they haven't had other reports of this.

The Video tab works fine for me and can playback DVD's from the harddrive. It's just the Command Line functionality which doesn't work for me (which is a bit of a show stopper when integrating it Media Portal!)

Command line also working flawlessly here. I'm not sure if you're using PowerDVD10.exe but i've got MovingPictures setup with PDVD10 in Cinema Mode, which integrates WAY better into MediaPortal then PowerDVD10.exe

Since Cinema Mode is made for use with a remote control and is opened fullscreen, you only need to point to the .exe
    Instead of using PowerDVD10.exe refer to PowerDVDCinema10.exe which i 1 folder up (PowerDVD Cinema folder inside your Cyberlink/PowerDVD10 folder in Program Files)

Hope that works for ya ;)

mpwul

Portal Member
    March 30, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I went thru all the steps jedney has been describing. A few times.

PowerDVD10-8-error-31032010.jpg
    PowerDVD10-7-error-31032010.jpg

In my earlier post you can see there is no option to select the harddrive to play anything from.

The weird thing is that PD9 Ultra works fine.

Have given TMT3 and together with PD9 I played the same movie, simultaneously, exact timing, 24" calibrated Eizo screen

I definitely cud see the difference: PowerDVD looks brighter and sharper.
    Admit though, when switching on SIMHD in TotalMedia Theatre 3 (TMT3) - then the differences are less, though still in favour
    of PD9.

On conclusion I switch back to PD9 and wait for PD11 ;)

=

In2Photos

Portal Member
    September 5, 2009
    Home Country
    As said, trial version won't produce audio. This is for Dolby. Most DVDs are Dolby. You have to figure out which one isn't Dolby ..

I'm not sure I follow. I am using SPDIF output to my Denon 3802 and I get DD and DTS just fine with the trial version. I don't have anything that supports TrueHD or DTS-MA yet other than the built in decoders in my Panasonic BD-55 stand alone player so I can't test the HD formats, but legacy tracks work just fine.

The weird thing is that PD9 Ultra works fine.

Have given TMT3 and together with PD9 I played the same movie, simultaneously, exact timing, 24" calibrated Eizo screen

I definitely cud see the difference: PowerDVD looks brighter and sharper.
    Admit though, when switching on SIMHD in TotalMedia Theatre 3 (TMT3) - then the differences are less, though still in favour
    of PD9.

On conclusion I switch back to PD9 and wait for PD11 ;)

=

I did notice that PDVD did look a little better than TMT3, but I'm no videophile. TMT3 still looks good enough to my eyes on my 46" Toshiba LCD.

jedney

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Command line also working flawlessly here. I'm not sure if you're using PowerDVD10.exe but i've got MovingPictures setup with PDVD10 in Cinema Mode, which integrates WAY better into MediaPortal then PowerDVD10.exe

Since Cinema Mode is made for use with a remote control and is opened fullscreen, you only need to point to the .exe
    Instead of using PowerDVD10.exe refer to PowerDVDCinema10.exe which i 1 folder up (PowerDVD Cinema folder inside your Cyberlink/PowerDVD10 folder in Program Files)

Hope that works for ya ;)

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately for some completely incomprehensible reason Cyberlink only allow you to play real/ripped DVD's in Cinema Mode. It tells you to go back to Normal mode if you want to playback a DIVX, etc. :-(

jedney

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another response from Cyberlink:

I understand that you are unable to play VIDEO_TS.INF file from command Line in PowerDVD 10 as in earlier version.

I wish to inform you that it is declared as bug in this software and research team is working hard to get rid of it.

I deeply regret for the inconvenience.

dither

Portal Member
    March 29, 2008
    Home Country
    EDIT 8-April-10: This has now been confirmed by Cyberlink as being a bug in PowerDVD 10. This will affect anyone who uses the command line to play a ripped DVD - this includes using the Windows Explorer "Open With..." right click, and people using PDVD as an External Player in Mediaportal. I will try and remember to update this post/remove this line when the bug is resolved.

This is EXACTLY the same problem I and many others had when I went from PDVD7 to PDVD9.
    Right down to the last response that you got from Cyberworthless.
    "This is a known bug and we are working to fix it..... blah blah"
    It took them 5 months the last time. Let's hope it takes less this time around.
    The one thing that angers me most about Cyber....... tech support, is that they obviously do NOT read the emails they are sent.
    Write an exacting defenition of what is happening, as you did, and they send you a response having NOTHING to do with your initial email,, and we get to wait half a week for it.
    Write again, and the NEXT canned response,,, another 5 days or so...
    Seems about the 4th or 5th email they are sent falls into the "someone should actually read this" bin.
    I like some of the features of PDVD on my HTPC - so I choose to use it, and version 9 is all I need right now. But the day is coming soon when I get a HDMI capable AV Receiver and I'll probably be forced to go with version 10. Fingers crossed that it will work by then.
    I've tried TMT3, but the picture quality is HORRIBLE with avi and mkv containers. I'm aware it's a codec issue, but right now I'm not anxious to try to sort it out.
    Good luck with 10, and I'll keep an eye out here
    Trilogy

jessamy

April 26, 2010
    EDIT 8-April-10: This has now been confirmed by Cyberlink as being a bug in PowerDVD 10. This will affect anyone who uses the command line to play a ripped DVD - this includes using the Windows Explorer "Open With..." right click, and people using PDVD as an External Player in Mediaportal. I will try and remember to update this post/remove this line when the bug is resolved.

This is EXACTLY the same problem I and many others had when I went from PDVD7 to PDVD9.
    Right down to the last response that you got from Cyberworthless.
    "This is a known bug and we are working to fix it..... blah blah"
    It took them 5 months the last time. Let's hope it takes less this time around.
    The one thing that angers me most about Cyber....... tech support, is that they obviously do NOT read the emails they are sent.
    Write an exacting defenition of what is happening, as you did, and they send you a response having NOTHING to do with your initial email,, and we get to wait half a week for it.
    Write again, and the NEXT canned response,,, another 5 days or so...
    Seems about the 4th or 5th email they are sent falls into the "someone should actually read this" bin.
    I like some of the features of PDVD on my HTPC - so I choose to use it, and version 9 is all I need right now. But the day is coming soon when I get a HDMI capable AV Receiver and I'll probably be forced to go with version 10. Fingers crossed that it will work by then.
    I've tried TMT3, but the picture quality is HORRIBLE with avi and mkv containers. I'm aware it's a codec issue, but right now I'm not anxious to try to sort it out.
    Good luck with 10, and I'll keep an eye out here
    Trilogy

Exactly same problem, but you could try out Corel WinDVD 2010 free for thirty days from here
    WinDVD 2010 - WinDVD 2010

It works no problem on Win7-64bit too, and quality is excellent. Very easy to use. If Cyberlink can't get it right, uninstall it and say goodbye! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom