PowerScheduler++ 1.4.0.x - Stable versions for MediaPortal 1.4 (2 Viewers)

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
I tried adding the script to the process list, but it didnt work.
This cannot work, since you are trying to mix up cause and effect. The external command is started after the PC has started suspending, since PS++ cannot predict system events. At this time it is too late to cancel the suspend or to tell the system to go to away mode instead.

Did you test my new version yet?

Michael

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
...Unfortunately, now I have found a new problem:
Although I have checked "Unmute master volume.." in the Client preferences my audio is muted when I record and hit the standby key twice (see attached log)
I assume your first problem is solved?
The default audio device (external device?) used before giong to away mode is not present at the time the system returns from away mode, so it cannot be unmuted. Instead another device is now the default audio device, which is obviously in the muted state. To verify this, open the Windows volume mixed and have a look at it before and after away mode.

Michael

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Michael,

I have tested you new version it is still not working correctly - I was post logs shortly.

I am trying to gauge what has changed since moving from 1.3 to 1.4 (I assume some code changes to speed up the suspend process.

How about this for another crazy idea (again probably wont work) but I'm determined to get this working....

Instead of always going to straight to suspend, you go to awaymode instead (if enabled), from here you run the script, then analyse the suspend/shutdown request - if its a manual/power request then end the process/event which is keeping it in awaymode, which will then allow it to suspend?

J.

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have tested you new version it is still not working correctly - I was post logs shortly.
    What is not working correctly - is the PS++ software buggy or does your script not terminate in time? The latter cannot be fixed as I told you...

Michael

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ...Have you thought of a PS++ helper application that just runs in the taskbar to detect inactivity. This would be a completely optional install, but if the user had 'do not shutdown when mp client is not running' enabled it would also look to this app if running for inactivity prior to forced shutdowns. This would mean that users wouldn't have to always have MP client running, and if MP client was not running the HTPC would still sleep.
    I understand your problem and it would be possible to implement such a solution, but where would it end? Your proposal would mean that we build another MP client (you may call it helper app) with the only functionality to connect to the MP server and telling it that the user is still busy. Some weeks ago there was a proposal for a function to keep the TV server running as long as some network components (i.e. NAS) are still busy. The next guy wants a remote control function to switch on and off his HTPC from the internet...;)
    PS(++) has been designed as part of the MediaPortal software to allow your PC to wakeup for e.g. recording tv and sending it to sleep afterwards - nothing more. So IMHO PS(++) should not become a highly sophisticated generic standby/wakeup tool with an attached mediaplayer...

Michael

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Zhis is definitively the reason. PS++ does not reboot a system that is not allowed to go to standby.
    Thx!
    I have moved the reboot time to 07:57. Now it works fine!

Just another question:
    I have written a little batch that logs the reboot, suspend and wakeup time. PS++ calls this batch before rebooting, suspending and after waking up.
    In case of wakeup I would like to have the reason for the wakeup in the logfile.
    Is it possible to have the wakeup reason as a second parameter in the section "Run command on system power state change" in one of the next releases of this plugin?

Thx

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I understand your problem and it would be possible to implement such a solution, but where would it end? So IMHO PS(++) should not become a highly sophisticated generic standby/wakeup tool with an attached mediaplayer...

Thanks for reply :)

It was more about fixing what I think is a severe limitation of PS++ in that it can not detect idle time out unless MP is also installed AND running.

-Mike

Last edited:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Michael,

Please find attached an extract from my MePo log during a sleep and resume running your test version of PS++

I am still suffering from my script not completing in time (as you stated your fix wont solve that), but I still have the issue with my script continuing to run after the going to sleep and then resume (I can see you are trying to kill the external script on resume, but there is an exception thrown - so the kill might not be working?)

Many thanks,

J.

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    ...Unfortunately, now I have found a new problem:
    Although I have checked "Unmute master volume.." in the Client preferences my audio is muted when I record and hit the standby key twice (see attached log)
    I assume your first problem is solved?
    The default audio device (external device?) used before giong to away mode is not present at the time the system returns from away mode, so it cannot be unmuted. Instead another device is now the default audio device, which is obviously in the muted state. To verify this, open the Windows volume mixed and have a look at it before and after away mode.

Michael

Hi, thanks for your reply! Yes, the first problem is solved. I edited the post.

When I click the Speaker Symbol in the windows tray before suspending it shows an unmuted LG TV as audio device which is connected via HDMI. After going to away mode it still shows the same device but muted. Does this verify your theory? Do you know how to solve this?

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is it possible to have the wakeup reason as a second parameter in the section "Run command on system power state change" in one of the next releases of this plugin?
    Sorry, I have no clue where to get this information from - other than reading from the event log or performing a call to "Powercfg /lastwake", which I do not want to do in the program code. You can call "Powercfg /lastwake" (?) in your script and use the output in your script.

Michael

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom