Practical Way for Porting MP to Linux (1 Viewer)

captcol

Portal Pro
June 27, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Now that I have MP running nicely with the tv server in the background, I would like to keep this and just change things around it, and I don't think the Mrs would really appreciate me rebuilding the media centre again... but i do have to put a second digital tuner in....

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Also MythTV is already a client-server system. And it is linux-stable. No hassle with M$-stuff. (Sorry for the commercial of MythTV, but after about 5 attempts to get a fast stable windows with MP I gave it up).

here's another one to check out - http://elisa.fluendo.com/ (Still in heavy development, but racing in the right direction by a very talented team!)

(and if you're interested in my background - i'm still running xp/mp on my htpc until elisa matures, but every other pc in my house has been converted to linux. i've totally lost faith in microsoft :p)

I've tried Elisa. It has a realy progressive interface which works pretty well! But, as said, it still under heavy development and far from complete.

dubstar

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have used mythtv for 6 months now and it is great. I use it on my lounge pc and which currently has been turned on for 27 days no reboot and no restart. ubuntu has updated dozens of times without the need to restart, and that is why i don't use windows.

its a shame that media portal is not cross platform but like the previous post i'm looking out for the tv element of elisa which currently has a rotisserie style menu like the much awaited xface by harley.

Elisa front end and mythtv backend end looks like a very powerful combination of the future.

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Not on a MP port to Linux (won't happen). But you should really give XBMC for Linux a go! It's easy to compile/install and is very! fast. The progress is pretty impressive. To bad there is no PVR support yet, but that won't take to long. Developers are looking for the best way to implement a MythTV interface in XBMC for Linux. There already is one for XBMC on the XBOX, but it's not userfrendly to install and configure. Next to that you always need a computer running Linux to act as a streaming server with MythTV installed. Now, with the port to Linux grwoing more moture every day, a more direct implementation has high priority for the plugin developers.

XBMC // Wiki //

spuck

Community Skin Designer
April 6, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Is there a tv-series plugin ported to the xbmc linux? That's the only thing I need. :D
Think I might try this out in a few days, looks very interesting.

Gamester17

Portal Pro
May 12, 2004
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
More possible ways to port MediaPortal to Linux is discussed in this other topic thread:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-talk-235/mediaportal-under-linux-34969/

However the answer from MediaPortal's developers remain; anyone else is welcome to port MP to Linux but Team-MediaPortal will not do it themselves.

spuck, off-topic but XBMC for Linux supports almost everything XBMC for Xbox does by now (and yes that includes handling downloaded TV-Series in library/database and file-mode really nice), but like Bram noted, there is no PVR support in XBMC, ...maybe someday it will be able to use MediaPortal and/or MythTV as a TV-server backend in a user-friendly way but that is nothing that we should discuss in this topic thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom