Probably a very noobish question regarding removable drives. (1 Viewer)

Rijnton

Portal Pro
November 20, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Sorry if this has been asked before, because I had not the time yet to read this long thread. Also sorry if my question is too noobish,because I just started with Mediaportal (and Moving Pictuures of course).
I have a few extra harddisks with movies, that I connect to my pc with a docking station when needed. When I scan all the movies on them and add covers (manually for some of them) etc., what happens when I disconnect them and reconnect them later ? I already read that the movies are deleted from the database when the drive is disconnected. Will the database be restored again for the movies on the drive in question when it is reconnected again ?

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey Rijnton, I have a very similar environment with a USB HDD Dock. When you remove your drive you can still browse your collection. When you attempt to play something that is offline it will prompt for the corresponding drive.

Offline files will generally appear in a different colour.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    No, it automatically recognizes it as removable drive. So only when the HDD is inserted, it will do whatever maintenance operations are required e.g remove any movies that have been deleted.

MrCrispy

Portal Member
    January 2, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    No, it automatically recognizes it as removable drive. So only when the HDD is inserted, it will do whatever maintenance operations are required e.g remove any movies that have been deleted.

Interesting. Can it recognize an eSata external as a removable drive?

Rijnton

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    what defines removable is not really important. Moving Pictures stores the volume serial number of the drive/partition a movie was imported from. If you change the drive but use the same drive letter the serials will differ and moving pictures won't delete the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom