Problem: MC2XML XMLTV Plugin Imports Channel Data But Not Program Data (1 Viewer)

ShinZan

Portal Member
May 18, 2008
Hi Guys Its my first post but i've been loving media portal for about 2 years now. I've never been able to get the tvguide working properly but i installed 1.0 and found the forum posts about mc2xml and it looked like the magic bullet.

So i downloaded xmltv and mc2xml.exe and xmltv.dtd and i've downloaded tvguide.xml and when i go to the xmltv plugin in tv configuration I do this:

I go to the following:

1) I confirm my path does point to the xmltv.dtd and all the files mentioned above
2) I hit load/ refresh
3) I click mappings and map all my tuning channels to guide channels from the tvguide.xml
4) I make sure everything is mapped and hit save
5) I hit load/refresh again to confirm that all channels are mapped and listed white (no reds)
6) I go back to the general tab of the xmltv plugin and hit force

Then it says the following:

Total Channels imported 100
Total Programs imported 0
import status tvguide.xml file imported successfully.

I am Banging my head against the wall this should be so simple -- ive been working on it for 2 days and tried 40 different variations of things like changing paths hitting save multiple ways, I've even gone so far as to uninstall 1.0 and install 1.1 beta just to see if it works. I've read every forum post, and google doc I can find on the "total programs imported 0" search strings and xmltv and mc2xml but none of them seem to help. Im definately following the directions i think. Also under TV Channels in config all my channels have a check mark to show in guide. Im on XP sp3 / Media Portal 1.1 Beta now

If anyone can shed some light on where i might be going wrong I would be eternally greatful!!

David

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there :)

Please clean your log files, do a new import, then attach full log files here.
    Also zip and attach the xmltv file.
    Maybe someone can spot the problem then.

ShinZan

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008
    Log Files Forthcoming

Thanks, I will upload them tomorrow when i get back home, I will upload screen caps of my setup on all 3 tabs and upload a zip of all log files. I appreciate everyone's help this is the only thing preventing me from truly enjoying and harnessing the power of Media Portal! I did check the log files but i didn't see any log entry concerning the import but i will wipe it out and go from there.

David

ShinZan

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008
    Problem found.... Now how to fix it....

Ok guys i see the problem i was in the wrong log file director (media portal itself and not the tv server)

Here is the problem:

2009-10-06 14:52:48.312500 [XmlTvImporter]: xmltvimport: Reading TV programs
    2009-10-06 14:52:48.343750 [XmlTvImporter]: XMLTVImport::CorrectEpisodeNum, could not parse 'S819' as plain number

So should i just change the database schema to make CorrectEpisodeNum a nvarchar(50) field or something like that? Or is this an error of the xmltvimporter itself and not the database? Any help is very much appreciated! My XMLTV version from sourceforge is xmltv-0.5.56-win32

Also attatched is the full log file and a couple of screen caps but its obvious to me this is the problem :D

Attachments

• page1.JPG
      page1.JPG
      99.3 KB
    • page2.JPG
      page2.JPG
      113.8 KB
    • xmltv-0.5.56-win32.zip
      30.7 KB

ShinZan

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008
    Still no answer

Can a moderator please move this thread to the Electronic Program Guide / XMLTV under Media Portal 1 forum i think i posted this in not such a useful forum.

Thanks,

David

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Here is the problem:

2009-10-06 14:52:48.312500 [XmlTvImporter]: xmltvimport: Reading TV programs
    2009-10-06 14:52:48.343750 [XmlTvImporter]: XMLTVImport::CorrectEpisodeNum, could not parse 'S819' as plain number

CorrectEpisodeNum failing will not cause the program to not be imported, just the episode number will be empty. Anyway all those episode numbers provided by your xmltv grabber are invalid. Per xmltv.dtd episode numbers have to be in one of two supported formats:

1. xmltv_ns: This is in the form [season[/total seasons]].[episode[/episodes in season]].[part[/parts in episode]]
    2. onscreen: This is in the form #nnnn where nnnn is an integer
    However your problem lies somewhere else. A copy of your tvguide.xml would be helpful.

ShinZan

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008
    tvguide.xml shot over

Thanks very much for the information here is the tvguide.xml file.

If the problem is the xml file (which it seems to be) then i should mention that this is the command I Run in the batch file that downloads the tvguide.xml via mc2xml.exe app located on this forum:

Start /W /D "c:\storage\recordings\tvguide" mc2xml -o tvguide.xml

To save yourself the hassle of rooting around in the xml file here is an example of a program tag:

<programme start="20090907200000 -0400" stop="20090907210000 -0400" channel="I3.28459634.microsoft.com">
    <title lang="en">Law &amp; Order: Criminal Intent</title>
    <sub-title lang="en">Alpha Dog</sub-title>
    <desc lang="en">When a model turns up dead after a night of love .....</desc>
    <credits>
    <actor>Vincent D'Onofrio</actor>
    <actor>Kathryn Erbe</actor>
    <actor>Jeff Goldblum</actor>
    <actor>Julianne Nicholson</actor>
    <actor>Eric Bogosian</actor>
    <guest>Roger Rees</guest>
    <guest>Jennifer Missoni</guest>
    <guest>Nestor Serrano</guest>
    <guest>Ryan Locke</guest>
    <guest>Sabine Singh</guest>
    </credits>
    <date>20090802</date>
    <category lang="en">Drama</category>
    <category lang="en">Episodic</category>
    <category lang="en">Series</category>
    <episode-num system="onscreen">E8007</episode-num>
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">EP00446173.0170</episode-num>

<audio>
    <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
    <previously-shown start="20090802000000" />
    <subtitles type="teletext" />
    <rating system="VCHIP">
    <value>TV-14</value>
    </rating>
    </programme>

Armed with the information the xml parsing spec in your post i rooted around and removed the lines in bold one at a time in both orders and it didn't error out on that program that i could tell in the logs (it errored out on the next one) but i figured perhaps it would import at least that one program with a blank episode number but it didn't. I also modified the episode number from 'E8007' to '8007' thereby striking the character and making a nice fat integer. This didn't throw an error in the log but still no programs were imported. So i suppose my error may perhaps lie elsewhere but of course im not sure why my tvguide data is getting its episode data that way or what i can do to change it or if i must transform the data after i get it with a different xml parsing program before importing or what. Or are these errors immaterial in the entire problem anyway? In any event I'm not sure what step 2 should be.

Thanks again Arion_P!

David

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I have imported your tvguide.xml in my setup and it imported normally (except for the episode numbers which where ignored). I mapped 3 channels and got 960 programs imported.

However I just noticed that you do not have "Delete old programs before import" enabled. In this case new programs overlapping programs already in the database will be ignored and not imported. So if you want to always have fresh data you should enable that option. Otherwise only new programs will be imported.

ShinZan

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008
    Import Fresh Data

Well in that case im totally stumped. I've checked that box and done every combination of things i can humanly think of and that box never helps. I've

1) Dropped the SQL DB
    2) Uninstalled MPortal
    3) Reinstalled 1.1 Beta

*NO GO

1) Dropped the SQL DB
    2) Uninstalled MPortal
    3) Reinstalled the 1.02 Stable

*NO GO

I'm glad that the problem doesn't lie in the whole MC2XML / XML Import so thats good to eliminate a problem. However I'm completely stumped as to why it doesn't work (again i've checked and unchecked every box on that whole page in every permutation you can think of hoping against hope that something would work)

So since I've manually uninstalled the software and dropped the db and started as from scratch as i can without reinstalling the OS what do you think i should try next? Could there be some dependent component of Media Portal that is not explicately part of Media portal that has hung around since my media portal 1.0 RC1 install from last year that could be messing my import up?

I appreciate your help this problem is definately not easy to track down and believe you me i've read everything on every forum i can find--its good to know i can stop wasting time looking at xmltv problems thought!

Thanks! :D

David

ShinZan

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008
    I noticed you said you mapped 3 channels is that because you used a .lst file and is that something i should be doing or is that truly optional?

I've been tinkering for the past week and still have no progress on this problem. I'm thinking of waiting for windows 7 media center -- I mean Media Portal is great but without a TV guide its useless for TV. I switched from MythTV .20 (user since .17) to media portal but I've never gotten TV guide to work on any version of Media Portal 0.98 to present. I feel like I'm so close this time but don't know what to do next.... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom