Problem with Sound dropping out using HDMI cable (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    HDMI should just work. Something else is going on to cause this, but...
    No log files => no idea of the cause => can't help.

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't think it MP. I was fishing for some general fixes.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cam, with the greatest respect, from the perspective of somebody who's trying to help you, your approach in this thread is a little bit frustrating. Please could you try to be a little bit more thoughtful about the way in which you go about trying to get help. You've been around long enough now to know how this works. :)

This section of the forum (MediaPortal 1 -> support -> general support) is for getting help with non-specific MediaPortal 1 problems. If you're "fishing" and don't think the problem is caused by MP, why are you posting here? There are other sections of the forum which are more suitable.

Putting that aside, given the choice to post here, log files and other relevant details are required as a matter of course. Sure, asking you to grab log files only takes 30 seconds... but if we had to ask everybody, it would be a huge drain on our time. That's why the rule exists. Please respect it.

Finally, I'd have thought you've been using MediaPortal long enough to know how the Watchdog tool works. As explained in the wiki/manual: please always use Watchdog option 1 or 2 ("report a bug...") for reproducible problems like the one you're currently experiencing. Option 3 ("export...") is strictly reserved for non-reproducible problems. Don't use it unless you absolutely have to. The reason for this request is that option 3 grabs all available log files (as opposed to just the log files for the current session). In your case that's 6 days worth of log files. Now, after 10 years of using and working with MediaPortal, I'm almost intimately familiar with how it works... but it would still take me probably an hour to comb through 6 days worth of your log files to try to find an incidence of your problem. If you follow the instructions in the wiki/manual and use option 1 or 2 - or at least tell me the date/time when you last experienced the problem - you will save me a ton of time.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not in any way grumpy, and I'm very keen to help you. I'm simply asking you to consider my time as valuable as your own, and therefore make decisions which won't waste my time. :)

So...
    Can you please either tell me the date and time (I need you to be really specific - "yesterday evening" is not sufficient) when you last noticed the problem...
    ...or if you don't know that, please use the Watchdog option 1 or 2 to reproduce the problem and collect new log files.

Additionally, if you know, it would really help if you could indicate when this problem started. I mean, I presume you've been using HDMI for some time and the problem only just started. If not (ie. you've only just started using HDMI), it would be helpful to have stated this up front.

Thanks. :)

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    Maybe a Vacation for you. My Friend:)

Cam, with the greatest respect, from the perspective of somebody who's trying to help you, your approach in this thread is a little bit frustrating. Please could you try to be a little bit more thoughtful about the way in which you go about trying to get help.
    I ask a question.. Hope someone says, hey yeah do this it might help!!

This section of the forum (MediaPortal 1 -> support -> general support) is for getting help with non-specific MediaPortal 1 problems. If you're "fishing" and don't think the problem is caused by MP, why are you posting here? There are other sections of the forum which are more suitable.
    Thought it might be a good start........... maybe not:(

Putting that aside, given the choice to post here, log files and other relevant details are required as a matter of course. Sure, asking you to grab log files only takes 30 seconds... but if we had to ask everybody, it would be a huge drain on our time. That's why the rule exists. Please respect it.
    ok

Now, after 10 years of using and working with MediaPortal, I'm almost intimately familiar with how it works... but it would still take me probably an hour to comb through 6 days worth of your log files to try to find an incidence of your problem. If you follow the instructions in the wiki/manual and use option 1 or 2 - or at least tell me the date/time when you last experienced the problem - you will save me a ton of time.
    I understand.... but you know what types of error to look for, the find or search feature in notepad or whatever program jumps right to it
    Man, I know you know what you are doing, but this post:mad:
    I appreciate your help and I know your time is value, but if what I just did pulls out all of thiso_Oo_O

So...
    Can you please either tell me the date and time (I need you to be really specific - "yesterday evening" is not sufficient) when you last noticed the problem...
    ...or if you don't know that, please use the Watchdog option 1 or 2 to reproduce the problem and collect new log files.
    I will try to re-create

Additionally, if you know, it would really help if you could indicate when this problem started. I mean, I presume you've been using HDMI for some time and the problem only just started. If not (ie. you've only just started using HDMI), it would be helpful to have stated this up front.
    It started when I switched to HDMI out for audio, I try to control volume through the TV (Sony Bravia Android TV), I have another one setup and it works great
    So.. HDMI from PC to the TV, Audio out from the TV to the Home Theater Receiver which is old... digital out not so good with this Receiver.
    My original way was HDMI was just for Video, audio out on PC to Receiver for audio.
    This way smart TV side has same audio out.

Bottom line dude you are good at what you do, no more feeling please, I a guy. I don't have feelings(y)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

I ask a question.. Hope someone says, hey yeah do this it might help!!
    This doesn't appear to be one of those common or obvious problems where the cause is likely to be A, B, or C, and solutions could be suggested for each case. However, if you'd prefer to wait for suggestions then I'll happily step out of the way. Just let me know. :)

Thought it might be a good start........... maybe not:(
    This section of the forum is intended to be more focussed, like calling a 1-800 number for tech support. Maybe we need a "no fishing" sign. :)

Thanks for understanding. :)

I understand.... but you know what types of error to look for, the find or search feature in notepad or whatever program jumps right to it
    Obviously I know how to use a search function. The problem is - believe it or not - I don't actually know what to search for in this case. :)

Heck, based on what you said about not being sure that it's an MP problem, I don't even know that the log files will show the problem.

The first place I looked is the error log files, because they're almost always nice and short. Unfortunately nothing stood out.

Next was the main log files. They appear to be full of spurious stuff (whole bunch of song renaming etc.). It's like trying to find a needle within a haystack... but without knowing that you're looking for a needle... and perhaps the needle isn't even in the haystack! ;)

This is why I asked for the option 1 or 2 log files - to reduce the size of the haystack as much as possible.

I will try to re-create

It started when...
    Thanks. (y)

Some follow-up questions:
    1. Is the connection between the TV and receiver digital (S/PDIF, HDMI or other) or analog?
    2. Do you know if you've configured MP to bit-stream audio in any situations?
    3. Does the problem only affect certain files/streams (eg. music, video, TV, radio), or everything?
    4. Does the problem apply all the time or only at certain times with certain sources/files?
    Man, I know you know what you are doing, but this post:mad:
    I appreciate your help and I know your time is value, but if what I just did pulls out all of thiso_Oo_O

Bottom line dude you are good at what you do, no more feeling please, I a guy. I don't have feelings(y)
    I was simply pointing out that we have rules around here. Usually I cut people - especially new people - a lot of slack, and so I'd let it slide. In this case, you've been a member of the forum since 2012. Almost 300 posts. By this time I'd have expected you to know how this section of the forum is used and what's expected if you start a thread here. So I tried to respectfully ask you to be a bit more thoughtful, and to clearly explain the reasoning without bringing emotion or feeling into it. I apologise unreservedly if what I said didn't come across that way.

As you say, let's move on. I hope you won't hold it against me. :)

Cam

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Home Country
    We cool !!
    It will be a couple of days, but I will get back to you
    Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread