[confirm] Problem with Timeshift on Ramdisk (1 Viewer)

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Thanks for replying - I had seen the Dataram product.

I am still puzzled/confused about the amount of space required. I had planned on a 2GB timeshift RAM drive, but MePo states that will only give me 50 mins at SD, or 18 minutes for HD?

Which equates to 110MB per minute at HD????

So if I pause a 1 hour live HD program for 10 minutes, how much space will I need, or if I pause the program 5 minutes in, for 50 minutes?

I am just worried that 2GB won't be enough (I watch HD and have two tuners).

Thanks,

J.

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    You have to count time from pause time to now (no matter how long programm is), if you paused 50 mins ago then you need enough space for 50 mins or you lose part of your timeshift buffer

How much space you need depends on broadcaster bandwidth, but average examples present in tv server config.

Hint: if you want to go for such long pereiod as 50 mins then you better to hit record instead of pause and you dont loose anything :)

benjerry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm using SuperSpeed's RamDisk Plus (not free) in which I configured a ramdisk with about 6GB from my total 8GB in my server.
    The software allows the use of memory > 4GB which is normally not accessible by Windows 32bit.
    Your motherboard's bios has to support PAE adressing I believe.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

Finally got back home (been away with work).

I had a quick look at the various "developments" that have been going on (Owlroost's dll, new SAF5 SVN, new files to deal with required space for time shifting, ATI 10.4, etc).

I quickly applied them to see if they would solve my constant stutter problem (which I had virtually solved with ffdshow - but then encountered audio sync issues).

I installed all the above (with Timeshift still on the HDD) - I noticed I could not achieve 50fps and was encountering dropped frames - I rolled back to ATI 10.3 and fps was 50 again - crappy ATI drivers.

At this point I was still encountering stuttering so I switched Timeshifting to use a RAM drive - guess what??? Its perfect now... no stuttering at all.

Just ordering another 4GB for my HTPC so I'll run a 6GB buffer :D

One problem I have encountered though (not sure if its ramdisk related - I need to test more), is similar/same to Doveman's issue. If I have paused live time and change channel while its paused, the channel change does not work the same as normal, eg:

OSD is displayed overlaying the channel names (so you can't read them - maybe its a generic graphics issue), then it seems about 4 seconds of the end of the buffer seems to be played, then it switches to the new channel. It does seem related to MP not deleting/managing/switching the buffer files correctly?? :(

I will post my logs later (gotta run now) - But I'm not having the "errors" in my logs that doveman got - my TVserver logs are "clean".

Thanks,

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom