[confirm] Problem with Timeshift on Ramdisk (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Yes that is correct.

But the true story is that every user will use one set of TS files per tuner. But when a user switches from one tuner to another the ts files for the previous tuner will be deleted. However they are not deleted immediately because of locking issues and also because tuning using the new tuner might fail. So for a brief period a single user may use more than 1 set of TS files.

I see, so whilst I shouldn't have to allow for 2 full sets of TS files, I need to allow for at least 1 full set+1 extra TS file.

Regarding switching from one tuner to the other, does MP randomly decide which tuner to use when changing channel, or should it continue to use the same tuner (as it would if there were only one tuner)?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Regarding switching from one tuner to the other, does MP randomly decide which tuner to use when changing channel, or should it continue to use the same tuner (as it would if there were only one tuner)?
    Depends on many variables - and those are even different between dvb and analog.

Generally speaking, tv-server will try an use the same card.

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

so I´ve tested the new files posted by Marvman and I can say it´s working for my environment. (Single Seat environment)

I also appreciate the hint in TV-Server config and I think one Timeshift-File Overhead is ok and understandable. Furthermore it´s also nice to see how many content will be in the TS-Buffer for the configured amount of files and filespace. So I think it´s a really good work especially for MediaPortal starters which makes Timeshifting really clear.

:D

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I'm using Marvman's new files as well now and I agree with jimbeam's comments.

Just had an fault, which may or may not be related. Old TS files are still not being deleted properly though.

I was just watching CH4+1 and it froze. Rewinding 15 seconds made it play up to the freeze point and then stop again. I stopped it completely and started BBC1 which worked fine. Trying to start CH4+1 again I just got a "No Signal" error.

I noticed that CH4+1 had been using a set of TS files (live2-0 I think) which were not deleted when I stopped it or when I started BBC1, which created a separate set of files (live3-0 I think).

Leaving MP loaded, I started TV Server config and tried to start CH4+1, which again gave the "No Signal" error as did More4. After a few tries it worked again and at this point I noticed that the old set of TS files associated with CH4+1 had been deleted, so I suspect the reason it stopped working may be something to do with the timeshifting files rather than an actual loss of signal.

I then went back to MP and started CH4+1 again without any problem.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    My suspicions have been confirmed as CH4+1 just froze again. I immediately stopped it and tried to restart it and got the "No Signal" error. I then manually deleted all the TS files and it started fine.

Marvman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Just had an fault, which may or may not be related. Old TS files are still not being deleted properly though.

I was just watching CH4+1 and it froze. Rewinding 15 seconds made it play up to the freeze point and then stop again. I stopped it completely and started BBC1 which worked fine. Trying to start CH4+1 again I just got a "No Signal" error.

I noticed that CH4+1 had been using a set of TS files (live2-0 I think) which were not deleted when I stopped it or when I started BBC1, which created a separate set of files (live3-0 I think).

Leaving MP loaded, I started TV Server config and tried to start CH4+1, which again gave the "No Signal" error as did More4. After a few tries it worked again and at this point I noticed that the old set of TS files associated with CH4+1 had been deleted, so I suspect the reason it stopped working may be something to do with the timeshifting files rather than an actual loss of signal.

I think that's another problem.
    The TSWriter Log is full of those lines

PMT Pid wasn't found on the PAT. Channel may have moved, try a new channel scan.
    TIMESHIFT stream rejected - pid: 0x28a stream type: 0xb logical type: 0xb descriptor length: 3

I can't find any single line that refer to "no free disk space"

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

I agree with Marvman - from the behaviour you describe it looks like a signal problem - MP 1.0.2 didn't delete the timeshift files for a tuner until that tuner was next used for timeshifting, so I suspect 1.1.0 behaves the same way - sometimes at least. The 2-x files are for one tuner, the 3-x are for another (BBC1 and CH4+1/More4 are on different muxes).

Tony

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I thought it could be a signal problem at first, it just seems a strange co-incidence that the signal would return as soon as I deleted the ts files. I'll test this some more to see if this pattern continues and also try the pre-Marvman files to see if that makes any difference.

Also, from what you're saying about the way timeshift files are deleted, it seems I still need to allow for two sets of files with my dual-tuner card so the hints in config aren't correct.

qb123

Portal Member
    September 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi,

I'm planning to setup a ramdisk for timeshifting. I've read this whole thread and this is what I understand from it:

I have dual tuners, single-seat install. So I'll set TS with 4 files, each 200mb.

This requires 800mb per tuner, so that is 1600mb. Then add on another 200mb for when the new file is created and the old one is deleted, which requires 1800mb in total.

So for this configuration, a 1900mb ramdisk should be sufficient. I have 4gb of physical memory, so this will leave me with around 2gb for the running of the system.

Is my reasoning correct here?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom