PS sometimes not waking up HTPC for recordings (2 Viewers)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    What have you configured in Windows power options for the power button? The Harmony will send a "Press Power Button", which, subject to your local settings, will put the HTPC into standby. The scheduler will immediately waje it up to continue recording.
    Yeah, its set to "Save Energy". But this is the case for ages now and it did not go to standby when a recording was ongoing. But I recently upgraded system to Win8...maybe this makes a difference.

My personal recommendation would be to have "Do nothing" mapped to the power button of the HTPC and let the MePo PowerScheduler manage the HTPC.
    Will try that.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    IMHO you don't need Away Mode by all means. Actually I never saw much value in this feature.

The important thing to keep in mind is to have a clear view of how you want your HTPC managing energy saving. With older MePo versions going to sleep was actively controled by the in-built PS. Now PS standard role - unless configured differently - is to keep the HTPC awake. Whenever MePo goes idle, the Windows energy management is kicking in. This is the reason why it is important to define the settings correctly.

Using the remote to wake up the HTPC is fine, but your Harmony should be configured in a way that it is only waking it up - but never sends it to sleep. The latter should be handled by Windows only. The easiest way to realize this is to configure the remote to not send the Power press but a wake-up instead. This way the power button function can be preserved and will not be used by the remote.

Now, this is just my view and others may see this completely differently. I am simply describing a setup, which is working fine for me.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Using the remote to wake up the HTPC is fine, but your Harmony should be configured in a way that it is only waking it up - but never sends it to sleep. ... The easiest way to realize this is to configure the remote to not send the Power press but a wake-up instead. This way the power button function can be preserved and will not be used by the remote.
    When I used Windows Media Center, I recollect seeing in the WMC forum claims that Windows supported discrete "power-on" and "power-off" actions in addition to the usual "power-toggle" action. I remain to be convinced that the discrete "power-on" and "power-off" actions actually exist in a form that allows them to be assigned to a remote control.

The native WMC remote control always sends "power-toggle" when its power button is pressed. If the HTPC is sleeping, the HTPC will wake (and that cannot be changed in the power plan). If the HTPC is awake, the HTPC will perform the action defined for the sleep button in the power plan. The default definition is for the HTPC to sleep (that is why it is called the "Sleep button" in the power plan :D), but that can be altered to cause the system either to hibernate, or to do nothing.

If The_Stig changes the sleep button in the power plan to "do nothing" (as HTPC_Sourcer suggested earlier), the Harmony will still send "power-toggle" and that will wake the HTPC from sleep, but will do nothing if the HTPC is already awake. That will avoid the problem that The_Stig encountered earlier. (y)

The question is: what side effects will this change have? Well, if the Windows sleep timeout is set to (say) 15 minutes, it means that after the TV and audio amplifier have been switched off, the HTPC will continue running for 15 minutes before it sleeps (and this will happen even if it is not recording). Is that acceptable? I am not passing judgement, but for me if I switched the TV off in order to read a book :eek:, and wanted complete silence, I would be quite irritated to hear the HTPC humming away for another 15 minutes before sleeping.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Mine shuts off after 5 min. The PC is ultra- silent and cannot be heard at all.

And as I said, everybody is free to make his own choices.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Now PS standard role - unless configured differently - is to keep the HTPC awake. Whenever MePo goes idle, the Windows energy management is kicking in. This is the reason why it is important to define the settings correctly.
    I cannot let windows handle standby because I have that dreaded srvnet-issue preventing standby...

Whats that? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have you been discussing this in a thread somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom